Serious Discussion Microsoft Edge Stable (Chromium) Now Available for Download

Kiss

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Oct 6, 2021
I had Firefox, but it uses a lot of CPU on Youtube and according to my tests it is the one that consumes the most energy, I went to Edge, at first it looks good, but then some strange bugs appear and I was forced to go back to Chrome, the Chrome always strikes me as the sensible choice, it's lightweight and doesn't give me a headache

*Opera is also good, super fast

oldschool

Level 82
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
Hmm, looks like I made a good choice a while ago by switching back to Google Chrome.
Chrome always strikes me as the sensible choice, it's lightweight and doesn't give me a headache
Indeed, I'm enjoying the bloat-free goodness and lack of bugs. I miss being able to clear history on exit and couple of other features but they're pretty minor. (y)

Arequire

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Feb 10, 2017
I dumped Edge on the weekend too. I was already thinking of checking out Chrome again since I've been following the discussion on this thread as of late, but what sent me over the edge (pun intended) was this:
This irked me in a way I didn't think possible. Like, genuinely made me angry, and I can't really explain why. I think it's just the idea of Microsoft leveraging their browser to insert an ad into a webpage that doesn't belong to them. It just feels... gross.

Ultimately I decided against trying Chrome as I don't want to help fuel Google's data collection, so I opted for Brave instead.

oldschool

Level 82
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
This irked me in a way I didn't think possible. Like, genuinely made me angry, and I can't really explain why. I think it's just the idea of Microsoft leveraging their browser to insert an ad into a webpage that doesn't belong to them. It just feels... gross.
Precisely! And the updates changing settings.
Ultimately I decided against trying Chrome as I don't want to help fuel Google's data collection, so I opted for Brave instead.
Switching always involves tradeoffs, making it tough to choose. I'm still getting a feel for Chrome, it's been so long.

Arequire

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Feb 10, 2017
Precisely! And the updates changing settings.
I actually haven't experienced this that much. It's definitely happened a couple of times, but I often see people complaining about Edge's settings being changed or reset after an update, and then I'll go check mine and nothing's changed. It's weirdly inconsistent on my end.

Switching always involves tradeoffs, making it tough to choose.
Yeah, I don't particularly care for Brendan Eich or Brave's crypto nonsense, but like you said: tradeoffs. 🤷‍♂️

Fel Grossi

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 17, 2014

Morro

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 8, 2012
@Morro @Kiss I'd appreciate any Chrome tips, which you may post in the Chrome forum. (y)

@oldschool

I doubt I would have any more beside the usual, check the settings in Privacy and Security, and see if there are flags you can set. Things you will already have done, I am so sorry. :(

And now to everyone to stay on topic :)

Well in the end I made the choice for Google Chrome over other browsers. For some reason I just can not get used to Brave or Opera for long. Yeah I have Firefox installed, but I have not used it in so long because I was first using Edge all the time which I stopped using a while ago for personal reasons, and now I use Chrome all the time again. And as oldschool mentioned there are always trade offs.

Yeah Google collects my data where it can, but you can at least try to block what you can. BitDefenders Anti Tracking browser extension tries to block as many things as it can. And people can also use myactivity.google.com ( If they have a Google account I think. ) to get rid of data about your "Web and App activity, Location History and YouTube history". I do not know if that removes all the data they have of you at that moment, but at least it is something.

So yeah there is a trade off, but right now I am more willing to use Chrome then Edge. And Edge right now irritates me a lot about the way they are going with it.

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Version 110.0.1587.69 released

1678413145501.png

brambedkar59

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
Video super resolution uses machine learning to enhance the quality of video viewed in Microsoft Edge by using graphics card agnostic algorithms to remove blocky compression artifacts and upscale the video resolution, so you can enjoy crisp and clear videos on YouTube and other video streaming platforms without sacrificing bandwidth.

Due to the computing power required to upscale videos, video super resolution (VSR) is currently offered when the following conditions are met:

• The device has one of the following graphics cards (GPUs): Nvidia RTX 20/30/40 series OR AMD RX5700-RX7800 series GPUs. [1]
  • The video is played at less than 720p resolution.
  • The device is not on battery power.
  • Both the height and width of the video are greater than 192 pixels.
  • The video is not protected with Digital Rights Management technologies like PlayReady or Widevine. Frames from these protected videos are not accessible to the browser for processing.
[1] Note: We are working on automatic Hybrid GPU support for laptops with multiple GPUs. Meanwhile, you can try VSR by changing Windows settings to force Edge to run on your discrete GPU.

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Version 111.0.1661.41: March 13, 2023
Stable channel security updates are listed here.

Feature update​

• A New Microsoft Edge Sidebar. In this release, the Sidebar introduces several new features and improvements aimed at enhancing productivity, convenience, and the user experience. Here are some of the highlights:
    • The New Discover: Edge Copilot is a powerful tool that helps users boost their productivity and efficiency. It provides intelligent suggestions and insights based on the context of the web page and the user's goals. As the new Bing icon in the Toolbar, Edge Copilot helps users compose better emails, search the web faster, learn new skills, all done more conveniently.
    • Enhanced Sidebar Visibility: With the new Auto-Hide functionality, a user can maximize the productivity and convenience of the sidebar without sacrificing valuable screen space. The Edge Sidebar can be hidden when a user isn't using it and it only reappears when a user needs it.
    • Evolved Sidebar Interaction: The new Hover functionality lets users open the Sidebar by hovering on the Bing icon in the Toolbar. This enhances user productivity and convenience by providing a seamless and intuitive way to access their most used tools.
    • Admins retain the ability to control and customize the Sidebar and its experiences, as needed by using the following settings:
    • If admins enable the Sidebar, users will have access to the Sidebar and Edge Copilot experience. The Sidebar will show at all times in the browser frame. Clicking on the Bing icon in the Toolbar will invoke the new Discover experience.
    • If admins choose the 'not configured' setting, users will have access to the Sidebar and Edge Copilot experience. Unlike when the Sidebar is 'enabled', their users will have the ability to always-show or auto-hide the Sidebar.
    • If admins disable the Sidebar, Discover and the Sidebar will be inaccessible for their users. Note: In this release, Admins do not have the ability to disable Discover and keep the Sidebar.
    • Additional customization options for the sidebar toolbar button are planned in future versions of Microsoft Edge.
    For more information, see Manage the sidebar in Microsoft Edge and Microsoft Privacy Statement (Search, Microsoft Edge, and artificial intelligence).
  • Microsoft Feed on Microsoft 365 Edge New Tab Page. We're rolling out a new experience to the Microsoft 365 tab of the Edge Enterprise New Tab Page. This experience will feature a new layout that centers on a larger version of the Microsoft Feed, featuring more productivity content, and moves the productivity cards including Important Emails, Recent SharePoint sites, Upcoming events, and To Do to the right-hand side of the Microsoft 365 tab.
  • Enhanced security mode improvements. Enhanced security mode now supports WebAssembly for macOS x64 and Linux x64. More cross-platform (ARM64) support is expected in the future. For more information, see Browse more safely with Microsoft Edge.
  • New policy to clear IE mode data on browser exit. The InternetExplorerModeClearDataOnExitEnabled policy controls whether browsing history is deleted from Internet Explorer and Internet Explorer mode every time Microsoft Edge is closed. Users can also configure this setting in the 'Clear browsing data for Internet Explorer' option in the Privacy, search, and services menu of Settings (edge://settings/privacy).

Policy updates​

New policies​

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.