Serious Discussion Microsoft Edge Stable (Chromium) Now Available for Download

F

ForgottenSeer 97327

I don't know how long this tip will work, but I had heard from an IT-guy that when I disabled all promotional stuff in the Edge policy registry keys those unasked unwanted promotional messages and tips to promote the user experience (with ads (n)) would be over.

Microsoft does not want to annoy system admins of corporations (business market is the cash cow for Microsoft). I can confirm that since I set the Edge policies manually with Regedit, those annoyances are gone. I hope it stays this way.

I edited Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Edge using Microsoft info (link1)

Last edited by a moderator:
F

ForgottenSeer 97327

Because the guy giving this tip was not specific (told me to disable all stuf which promised to personalize or to enhance my browsing experience)

Last edited by a moderator:

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018

This is exactly why people leave 3rd party AVs and now Microsoft is doing the same thing with Edge.
It appears us forum lurkers and hobbyists are ahead of these IT folks. We've seen the bloat turning Edge into trash for quite some time. This quote is telling:
There are lots of policies, but I already have them all set and still see this across my enterprise. So to answer your question, I guess the answer is no.

Gangelo

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Jul 29, 2017
I still consider it probably the best Chromium iteration, but I have to agree with all the comments.
If they keep going down this path, people will get tired (I already am) with all this aggressive pushing and find alternative browsers.
What a wasted opportunity to overthrow Chrome from the top..

brambedkar59

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
Chrome is trying to copy Edge bloatware stuff (for some it might be useful though) 🤣

(Got this screen after latest update on Chrome)

1669917996573.png

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Version 108.0.1462.42 not available through the internal updater yet...

December 5, 2022​

Microsoft has released the latest Microsoft Edge Stable Channel (Version 108.0.1462.42). This update contains a fix for CVE-2022-4262, which has been reported by the Chromium team as having an exploit in the wild. For more information, see the Security Update Guide.

This update contains the following Microsoft Edge-specific updates:

silversurfer

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
Microsoft has released the latest Stable version of its Edge browser with version 108.0.1462.42. The new release comes with a more secure encryption policy with TLS-encrypted Client Hello or ECH that helps enhance privacy. The new feature is an upgraded extension over TLS and helps protect the Server Name Indication (SNI) as well. ECH succeeds the previous ESNI or enhanced SNI. This article will guide you on how to enable ECH or Encrypted Client Hello.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.