Serious Discussion Microsoft Edge Stable (Chromium) Now Available for Download

Lenny_Fox

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 1, 2019
New security feature: blocks extensions which mess with the new tab page, home page and search engine. I noticed because I use a blank new tab page extension.

1572946217300.png

Burrito

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 16, 2018
F

ForgottenSeer 823865

Don't misunderstand me and think I am a Microsoft-hater. It is quite the opposite, actually. Believe it or not, despite its many issues, I like Windows 10 and use it regularly. I even appreciate Microsoft's support of both the Linux and open source communities. So, why would I be against installing Microsoft's web browser on my Linux machines?
This is usually what haters say trying to give weight to their opinion...lol

To be honest, the company has a long history of abusing its power and negatively impacting the web. Its Internet Explorer web browser was a security nightmare, causing tons of computer users to get infected with malware over the years. The company supported non-open standards too. Not to mention, Microsoft essentially ruined Netscape by bundling IE with Windows -- a dirty anti-competitive move.
Which shows the lack of security understanding ( a browser is an AV now? ROFL, users never click on malicious stuff right?...) and profound ignorance of what business is... (lol you sell hamburgers, you also sell Coca-Cola but it is anti-competitive to make a combo menu? hahahaha)

Ultimately, there is no reason for a Chromium-based Microsoft Edge to exist at all,
i found reasons (integrated smartscreen, built-in, sync, no-Google, etc...).

and there is no reason desktop Linux users should sully their computers with it. I am not opposed to installing Microsoft software, such as Skype, on my Linux computer, but a web browser? No chance in hell.
your biased opinion, which worth...nothing.

Another click-bait article made by a disguised-hater having nothing else to do. MS don't push ChromEdge on Linux, they offer it. If people want to use it on Linux, good for them. so go back using FF and STFU.

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
Only downside for me is that bing search on new page will sometimes give you ads during searching, wich is confusing for family members

I hoped i could change new page with duckduck extension, but nope

Gangelo

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Jul 29, 2017
Does anyone else think that the Beta version is actually more consistent and stable? Bookmark sync is also working without an issue in the Beta. I personally switched to Beta for the time being and waiting for the official launch of Stable in mid-January.

brambedkar59

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
Just got 79.0.309.12. My desktop icons changed, but my apps and taskbar in icons remain the old version even after a reboot.

Maybe the icon cache is the issue?

kWg8d3W.png

4OXYERa.png
Yup same issue. Funny how the shortcut has the new icon at the location "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs" But not when you search for it in start menu.

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
Does anyone else think that the Beta version is actually more consistent and stable? Bookmark sync is also working without an issue in the Beta. I personally switched to Beta for the time being and waiting for the official launch of Stable in mid-January.
Just use beta untill stable release, i would use developer thought...6 week gap between beta/dev

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
Just use beta untill stable release, i would use developer thought...6 week gap between beta/dev

@minevise I use Dev version but they're all liable to be buggy. Find what works for you and 🙏:D

Edit: From Edge Insider Forum -

[IMG alt="josh_bodner"]https://gxcuf89792.i.lithium.com/t5/image/serverpage/image-id/106167iED786F8A30266D47/image-dimensions/40x40?v=1.0[/IMG]
josh_bodner
replied to HotCakeX
yesterday

@HotCakeX I updated the original release notes post, but I'll mention down here too that there's a known bug for the Task Bar icons not updating properly, and we're going to try to push out a fix for it over the next day or two. There are a few other places that we're also aware of that don't have the proper icons yet (Task Manager, the all apps list in the Start Menu, the Windows Search results pane), but if you find any other places the icons aren't getting updated, please let us know!
2 Likes

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.