Serious Discussion Microsoft Edge Stable (Chromium) Now Available for Download

codswollip

Level 23
Content Creator
Well-known
Jan 29, 2017
I fixed the pinned icon by changing its icon properties... pointing it to msedge.exe. That still left the taskbar icon in its old form. So I unpinned Edge, and opened a new instance. Now the taskbar displays the correct icon, so I pinned it.

Still no success with the Edge icon under my Apps tree (I use Classic/Open Shell). I deleted the iconcache* files, but the Edge App icon repainted back to the old form. I'll wait it out, or ignore this entirely.

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
I fixed the pinned icon by changing its icon properties... pointing it to msedge.exe. That still left the taskbar icon in its old form. So I unpinned Edge, and opened a new instance. Now the taskbar displays the correct icon, so I pinned it.

Still no success with the Edge icon under my Apps tree (I use Classic/Open Shell). I deleted the iconcache* files, but the Edge App icon repainted back to the old form. I'll wait it out, or ignore this entirely.
After pinning and unpinning it a few times it finally worked for me.
It's not a big deal, but hope it helps others.

codswollip

Level 23
Content Creator
Well-known
Jan 29, 2017
I find that the Edge app is a different executable, "microsoftedge.exe" ... so I suspect this has not yet been fully updated with the new icon.

It's just a launcher now for the main Edge install. I think its icon is hard-coded as it offered to make a Desktop shortcut, and the icon button for that is grayed-out.

Last edited:

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
Well, I don't know where to put this because I don't know if it's a forum issue or an Edge.dev one. Has anyone else observed this popup running Edge.dev and opened to MalwareTips?

Screenshot (7).png

It's spontaneous, I didn't do anything and the machine was idle. Now, I am running an Insider build--Windows v. 2004. I did search before posting and scanned like two pages of this thread, so I'm sorry if this was posted before.

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
Well, I don't know where to put this because I don't know if it's a forum issue or an Edge.dev one. Has anyone else observed this popup running Edge.dev and opened to MalwareTips?

It's spontaneous, I didn't do anything and the machine was idle. Now, I am running an Insider build--Windows v. 2004. I did search before posting and scanned like two pages of this thread, so I'm sorry if this was posted before.

Nada. Nothing here. I don't see it being an Edge problem.

F

ForgottenSeer 823865

i bet you disabled javascript in your browser?

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
Umbra, I didn't set anything like that myself, javascript-wise. I tried disabling that one time via NoScript, amazing how many websites were negatively affected.

oldschool, trying the simplest things first didn't work out (clearing browser caches). The popup came back anyway. So, it's back to searching online, there seems to be many people struggling with variations of this issue. If I find a permanent fix, I'll post it. (y)

Edit: stumbled across the fix, or at least it hasn't returned after giving it more than enough time. It seemed to originate from the notifications area so it makes sense that restoring all Edge flags to default via about://flags removed this issue. I'm also running an insider build (Windows 2004) plus AdGuard desktop so who knows. Wish I knew which flag/s were involved as I'd enabled about 6 of them. So I re-enabled 2 gpu-related ones for now, and no popups.

By the way, Windows v. 2004 made Edge.dev the default browser automagically on here. (y)

Last edited:

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
Edit: stumbled across the fix, or at least it hasn't returned after giving it more than enough time. It seemed to originate from the notifications area so it makes sense that restoring all Edge flags to default via about://flags removed this issue. I'm also running an insider build (Windows 2004) plus AdGuard desktop so who knows. Wish I knew which flag/s were involved as I'd enabled about 6 of them. So I re-enabled 2 gpu-related ones for now, and no popups.

By the way, Windows v. 2004 made Edge.dev the default browser automagically on here. (y)

You have many variables in play relative to the issue you had so it figures troubleshooting would not be easy. ;) I've had zero issues on Edge Dev with these flags set SECURE: Complete - oldschool's laptop setup 2019

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
Admittedly, I don't recall, Umbra. I should've taken snips of them. I've re-reset all flags back to defaults anyway. Plus, after reading about someone's same issue running Chrome, I found I had a bunch of Downloads entries, which were promptly deleted. So, still evaluating. :unsure: I think I'll try a few of oldschool's settings once things straighten out.

Last edited:

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Improving Tracking Prevention in Microsoft Edge:
Today, we’re excited to announce some improvements to our tracking prevention feature that have started rolling out with Microsoft Edge 79. In our last blog post about tracking prevention in Microsoft Edge, we mentioned that we are experimenting with ways that our Balanced mode can be further improved to provide even greater privacy protections by default without breaking sites. We are looking to strike a balance between two goals:
  1. Blocking more types of trackers – Microsoft Edge’s tracking prevention feature is powered by Disconnect’s tracking protection lists. We wanted to build off our initial implementation of tracking prevention in Microsoft Edge 78 and maximize the protections we offered by default by exploring blocking other categories of trackers (such as those in the Content category) in Balanced mode. These changes resulted in Microsoft Edge 79 blocking ~25% more trackers than Microsoft Edge 78.
  2. Maintaining compatibility on the web – We knew that blocking more categories of trackers (especially those in the Content category) had the potential to break certain web workflows such as federated login or embedded social media content.
We learned through experimentation that it is possible to manage these tradeoffs by relaxing tracking prevention for organizations with which a user has established a relationship. To determine this list, we built on-device logic that combines users’ personal site engagement scores with the observation that some organizations own multiple domains that they use to deploy functionality across the web. It’s worth mentioning that this compatibility mitigation only applies to Balanced mode; Strict mode will continue to block the largest set of trackers without any mitigations.
Improving Tracking Prevention in Microsoft Edge - Microsoft Edge Blog

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
Looks like they're doing things similar to what Firefox have done with their tracking protection.
Btw, I don't see any option to download the stable version on their website.
Official link probably is out on 15. january when the release is happening, theres stable available on multiple 3rd party sources thought

Lenny_Fox

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 1, 2019
Hi,

On my own PC I returned to Chrome, because of some problems with Elementor plugin for wordpress. I had totally forgotten that my girl friend still runs Edge-chromium and she has not complained on any problems:

Privacy & Security settings: Balanced (balanced) + Privacy Badger (Badger really blocks a lot and is a zero config set and forget adblocker which does not seem to impact website functionality negatively).

Clear all history on exit + Search engine Google (she prefers it)

Site Permission - on default unless mentioned otherwise
- notifications: blocked
- javascript: blocked (with allow rule for HTTPS://* )
- unsandboxed plugin access blocked

Edge flags:
- Treat risky downloads over insecure connections as active mixed content
- Strict-Origin-Isolation

PS. I noticed that Edge Chromium still misses the FILE EDITING permission (of Chrome)

Sampei Nihira

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Dec 26, 2019
I did the installation today.

1. If you have set WD anti-exploit rules (programs) for old Edge, you must delete them and recreate the new rule because the path is different.(n)(n)
  2. Many Chromium Command Line Switches don't work:

With Chrome, I reduce the Insecure Chiper Suites as much as possible:

100a.jpg

If then some website doesn't work I open the browser from Start.
This possibility with the new Edge seems to me not working.
Of course, alphanumeric values need to be changed compared to Chrome.
Instead, curiously, the limitation of TLS 1.1 / 1.0 works:

100.jpg

P.S. Obviously my New Moon (XP) has these settings.

Last edited:

silversurfer

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.