64-bit operating system; x64-based processor
    Security Updates
    Automatic Updates (recommended)
    User Access Control
    Always Notify
    Network Security (Firewall)
    Windows Defender Firewall
    Device Security
  • Windows Defender SmartScreen (Windows 10)
  • User Account
    Standard
    Sign-in Accounts
    None
    Sign-in Options
  • Password
  • Malware Testing
    I do not participate in downloading malware samples
    Real-time Web & Malware Protection
    Windows Defender
    RTP - Custom security settings
  • Minor changes for Increased security
  • RTP - Details of Custom security settings
    ConfigureDefender @ modified High
    OS hardening
    Virus and Malware Removal Tools
    Emsisoft Emergency Kit
    Hitman Pro (free)
    Browsers and Extensions
    Brave - hardened + built-in protection + Netcraft
    Edge Dev Chromium - hardened + µBO + Privacy Possum + Decentraleyes
    Privacy-focused Apps and Extensions
    µBO @ medium mode
    Privacy Possum
    Cookie Autodelete
    Adguard DNS
    Decentraleyes
    Password Managers
  • Brain exe + little black book
  • Web Search
  • StartPage/Qwant/Wikipedia and Gigbiru
  • System Utilities
    Windows built-in
    Hard_Configurator Beta v.5.0.0
    BleachBit 3.0 - "Hilary uses it!"
    Data Backup
    Copy/Paste -> Free Agent Drive
    Frequency of Data backups
    Weekly
    System Backup
    Windows built-in -> Free Agent drive (monthly)
    Frequency of System backups
    Regularly
    Computer Activity
  • Browsing web and email
  • Watch movies and other entertainment content on the Internet
  • Shared device is used by family members
  • Download files from different sources
  • Office and work related tasks
  • Video or photography editing
  • Computer Specifications
    Lenovo L340 i3 8145U CPU @ 2.10 GHz 2.300 GHz 8GB DDR4 RAM 1 TB HDD

oldschool

Level 38
    Verified
    I recently gave Firefox another trial run and I just don't like it. I find very few attractive features, e.g. containers, dark mode, etc. Brave is a better option for built-in control of privacy and security for those who may be looking for a good privacy browser option (and aren't willing to go "tin foil" with Tor!). Brave makes it simple while giving you the option to increase security as desired. The Javascript blocking feature is great, giving you granular control of scripts. Put a web filtering extension like Bitdefender, etc. and you're all set. I like Edge Chromium a lot, but Brave compares very favorably!

Umbra

Level 15
    Verified
    @oldschool sup!

Hey, I didnt have to time to read all messages here, so idk if you already explained, but how exactly did you hardened Brave/Chrome through flags?
    ty!
    1- type Chrome://flags in omnibox
    2- select the desired flag > select the options

read carefully how the flag and description are spelled. Example, if flag is "disable xxx", if you choose "enable" , you will disable the function. ;)

Thales

Level 6
    Did you find what processes are necessary to allow in Windows Firewall? I don't wanna use 3rd party firewalls anymore.
    I saw in your early post the NoVirus Thanks connection Viewer and already downloaded. I'm still testing it but it looks like a logging program that helps to identify the connections but it shows the established connections only.

Last edited:

Umbra

Level 15
    Verified
    Did you find what processes are necessary to allow in Windows Firewall? I don't wanna use 3rd party firewalls anymore.
    I saw in your early post the NoVirus Thanks connection Viewer and already downloaded. I'm still testing it but it looks like a logging program that helps to identify the connections but it shows the established connections only.
    by default, WF allow all outbound connections, firewalls were never supposed to block outbound connections but only inbound ones.
    3rd party security vendors are responsible for those outbound monitoring. They pushed it as a feature.
    Personally, after a clean install, and the OS is setup, i block all outbound connections and create rules on the fly, case by case.

Thales

Level 6
    by default, WF allow all outbound connections, firewalls were never supposed to block outbound connections but only inbound ones.
    3rd party security vendors are responsible for those outbound monitoring. They pushed it as a feature.
    Personally, after a clean install, and the OS is setup, i block all outbound connections and create rules on the fly, case by case.
    Yeah I always wanted to do the same but In native windows firewall setup it was harder. or just for me. :)
    I used WFC in whitelist mode (block all outbound and inbound except those...) but I prefer no 3rd party firewall controls.
    Now I exported the rules from WFC and imported in Windows Firewall.
    It saved me a lot of time to make rules from scratch. It should be easy from now to allow new rules without any firewall control.

Umbra

Level 15
    Verified
    Yeah I always wanted to do the same but In native windows firewall setup it was harder. or just for me. :)
    I used WFC in whitelist mode (block all outbound and inbound except those...) but I prefer no 3rd party firewall controls.
    Now I exported the rules from WFC and imported in Windows Firewall.
    It saved me a lot of time to make rules from scratch. It should be easy from now to allow new rules without any firewall control.
    indeed i also used WFC this way to generate the first batch of rules then import them manually in WF after removing WFC. ;)