Serious Discussion Microsoft Edge Stable (Chromium) Now Available for Download

Divine_Barakah

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 10, 2019
Correct. That's the only offline installer there is. But there is no harm in using it. It will update like the "normal/consumer" Edge.
I see. It is not crucial for me to have the offline installer at hand other than saving some minutes. Thus, I keep using the online installer for now. Thank you

razorfancy

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Nov 27, 2016
My Edge Chromium just updated to build 85.0.564.44
Swuc9XF.png

amirr

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 26, 2020
Hello! Can anyone provide me with offline installer of Edge 64-bit?

brambedkar59

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
I don't have this bug with Edge tracking protection on strict, uBlock Origin, Bitdefender TrafficLight and Bitwarden.
Does the Lyrics Here extension interact with YouTube?
If that's not the one causing problems, check your uBlock filters, only enable the default ones and then try your other filters one by one till you got the offending one. Please let us know which one caused it.
Finally figured it out. It was Bitdefender TrafficLight extension.

brambedkar59

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
Edge new tab page is still broken for me. I'm unable to customize from settings and there is no widget on the page. I can't get the daily image from M$. Anyone have or had this bug? I've had it for over a month, have searched the web for this bug and I've sent feedback. 🤔
I don't have that bug, just enabled the daily pic and it works fine.
Never used the image from MS before, I usually disable all stuff and like it clean without any background or feed.

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
Anyone have or had this bug?

Yes, I've had it. I fiddled with the Settings, reinstalled Edge, signed in w/Microsoft acct. and used Bing search for a VERY short time-- no immediate fix. I did NOT reset Edge as that would erase my customized settings. Annoyingly, one day the images re-appeared and I have no idea what triggered them to return. But here it is as it's running on 2009:

edge homepage.PNG

I really like the smaller "most visited" thumbnails but they disappeared one day also. Came back about a week or so later. :unsure:

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
It's just a guess but did you use windows spotlight for login screen?
No.
As Edge respect Windows privacy settings maybe that's the same for the random wallpaper in Edge.
My privacy settings have always been the same and Edge used to display the daily image. The daily image is one of the things M$ does a very good job on.
Does anyone know how to get a completely blank new tab using Edge settings or flags?
Nope. I don't know if there are plans to add this option. I no longer use Edge Developer. Maybe @Gandalf_The_Grey knows.

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Nope. I don't know if there are plans to add this option. I no longer use Edge Developer. Maybe @Gandalf_The_Grey knows.
Don't see it on their to do list:
StatusFeedbackOn this list for
Planned for SeptemberVoice search on google.com doesn’t work18 weeks
Planned for SeptemberEnable navigation of PDF files via table of contents29 weeks
Planned for September
(Join the
discussion)
Add the ability to ink on web page content44 weeks
Planned for SummerEnable sync of browsing history between devices43 weeks
PlannedAdd dictionary in PDF1 week
PlannedEnable vertical tabs feature2 weeks
PlannedEnable customers to pin sites to Start Menu in Windows5 weeks
PlannedRestore tabs if Edge or the OS is restarted for any reason5 weeks
PlannedEnable automatic generation of strong passwords11 weeks
PlannedSupport two-page layout in PDF reader11 weeks
PlannedEdge launches with previous session’s tabs when “On startup” setting is set to “Open a new tab”11 weeks
PlannedAdd option to remove previous search terms from the New Tab Page’s search box auto-suggestion list 12 weeks
PlannedAdd "text notes" feature to PDF files16 weeks
PlannedSome web page fonts are blurry17 weeks
PlannedMSA profile picture is not updating21 weeks
PlannedAllow more top sites on the New Tab Page26 weeks
PlannedMake Edge available on Linux32 weeks
Planned
(Join the discussion)
Ask users if they want to close all tabs when they close a browser window49 weeks
Planned
(Join the discussion)
Bring the tab preview feature from the current version of Microsoft Edge54 weeks
Planned
(Join the discussion)
Provide run / open / save / save as options when downloading files54 weeks
Planned
(Learn more)
Support themes from the Chrome Web Store54 weeks
PlannedProvide an option to prevent auto-play of video and audio when you open a website54 weeks
Alternative Planned
(Join the discussion)
Update the user interface with the Fluent Design System54 weeks
In Discussion
(Join the discussion)
The address bar and its text are too big, and should be smaller like Chrome52 weeks
In Discussion
(Join the discussion)
Bring the tab set aside feature from the current version of Microsoft Edge54 weeks
Under ReviewEdge should respect the default PDF viewer2 weeks
Under ReviewAdd ability to close tabs via double-click21 weeks
Not PlannedSupport mouse gestures for common actions like navigation and tab close13 weeks
Not Planned
(View the discussion)
Allow sign-in to the browser with a Google account23 weeks
Not planned
(See the discussion)
Bring the reading list feature from the current version of Microsoft Edge35 weeks
Not Planned
(Read the discussion)
Provide a transparent theme for the browser frame43 weeks
Not Planned
(Read the discussion)
Make tabs more square and less rounded, like the current version of Microsoft Edge47 weeks

And here’s the list of top “quality areas” that we’re actively working on in response to your feedback:

Bring more extensions to the extensions store
Edge should use less memory than it does
Edge should use less CPU than it does
Scrolling should feel smoother for web pages
Scrolling should feel smoother for PDF files
Opening a new tab is too slow
Update does not always work reliably

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
Don't see it on their to do list:

Don't we all love our wizard?! 🙂
I re-installed without success. Maybe I haven't used it enough since then?
Did you make any change to your cookie settings? Edge uses ntp.msn.com for the homepage. If your PC fails to to access this page or third party cookies related to this site is blocked you would only see the default Edge image that you're seeing at the moment. Also maybe check if any extension is blocking the cookie. Btw, the blocking all third party cookies of Edge don't have any impact on this as i myself use it that way.

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
Did you make any change to your cookie settings?
Nope.
check if any extension is blocking the cookie.
Edge is the same with or without extensions = broken. The cookie ntp.msn.com doesn't even appear in the list of current cookies, which is strange. No first party cookies are blocked, etc. I've reset and re-installed but it's still the same.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.