Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Version 89.0.774.45: March 4

Important

This update contains CVE-2021-21166 which has been reported by the Chromium team as having an exploit in the wild. For more information, see the Security Update Guide.
Stable channel security updates are listed here.

Resolved issues​

• Taskbar and Start menu shortcut updates and fixes:
    • Right-clicking the Microsoft Edge shortcut in the Start menu will now properly show the option to unpin Microsoft Edge from the taskbar when it’s pinned.
    • Start layouts that include a taskbar configuration to pin Microsoft Edge to the taskbar will no longer result in a second Microsoft Edge shortcut getting pinned to the taskbar.
    • Organizations using Windows Roaming Profiles will no longer see a blank white icon in place of the Microsoft Edge icon on the taskbar when their users log on to Windows.

Feature updates​

• Kiosk mode enables additional lockdown capabilities. Starting with Microsoft Edge version 89, we have added additional lockdown capabilities within kiosk mode to enable customers to get the job done in a productive and more secure experience. Learn more.
  • The Enterprise Mode Site List Manager tool will be available in the browser through the edge://compat page. You can use this tool to create, edit and export your site list XML for Internet Explorer mode on Microsoft Edge. You can enable access to this tool as needed through group policy. Learn More.
  • Improve browser performance with sleeping tabs. Sleeping tabs improves browser performance by putting inactive tabs to sleep to free up system resources like memory and CPU so active tabs or other applications can use them. Users can prevent sites from going to sleep and configure the length of time before an inactive tab goes to sleep. To keep users in their flow, there are also heuristics to prevent certain sites from going to sleep, such as intranet sites. This feature can be managed with group policies.
  • Reset your Microsoft Edge sync data in the cloud manually. We are introducing a way to reset your Microsoft Edge sync data from within the product. This ensures that your data is cleared from Microsoft services, as well as resolving certain product issues that previously required a support ticket.
  • Improvements to text selection experience within PDF documents. Users will begin to get a smoother and more consistent text selection experience across PDF documents opened in Microsoft Edge starting with version 89.
  • Date of birth field now supported in autofill. Today Microsoft Edge helps you save time and effort while filling out forms and creating accounts online by auto filling your data like addresses, names, phone numbers, etc. Starting with Microsoft Edge version 89, we are adding support for another field that you can have saved and auto-filled - date of birth. You can view, edit and delete this information anytime in your profile settings.

Lenny_Fox

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 1, 2019
For those on Windows Home (not able to use the Edge Application Guard Sandboxed version), kiosk mode could be an alternative because it has some extra features

1614947324749.png

Note the interesting "Delete downloads on exit" you have to add a registry entry (link) and the upcomming "Restrict the launch of other applocations from the browser" (probably available in Edge 91). When this restriction is implemented I will provide a reg file for kiosk mode.

When you want to play with it, creat a short cut with below code
Code:
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft\Edge\Application\msedge.exe" --kiosk --edge-kiosk-type=public-browsing --no-first-run

It launches an in cognito session with no extensions.

Last edited:

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
I just got it, and I agree.
Yes, it was already very smooth and fast before. Now, even better. I've been using it for financial stuff but may expand to other browsing. One lingering problem is that it (Edge) stops remembering passwords for some unknown reason. :rolleyes:

Startup Boost is off for me too. I found it was "off" anyway, which is fine actually as it opens virtually instantly on here anyway.**

Haven't noticed any scrolling issues yet, but who knows, it's still early in the day.

**Read somewhere that it's enabled by default? Anyway, now I recall I did toggle it off yesterday after all. Sorry, forgot.

Last edited:

ErzCrz

Level 21
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 19, 2019
I do thing they should load a What's New page after updates.

Updated fine and it was only after rebooting when Startup Boost enabled itself. Seems a little faster at opening which is good :)

I might have to check out this kiosk mode when I get a chance @Lenny_Fox

E

mkoundo

Level 8
Verified
Well-known
Jul 21, 2017

Microsoft Edge is now 41% faster with new Startup Boost feature​

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
Going to check for the resource impact. On my gaming rig I notice no difference on or off.

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
41 percentage? It looks like a huge number in mathematical terms. But in a real world case all this means is, if before Edge was taking 1.41 seconds to open without startup boost then, now it takes 1 second to open with startup boost enabled. There goes 41% 😄
Like it's said above, it already loads almost instantly on most PC, so I don't see any point to keep this feature enabled taking up unnecessary ram in the background.
BTW, on my system Chrome opens faster than Edge. Edge because of their stupid ntp.msn.com homepage, is always slow to load their homepage. I use the Home button in every browser and on Edge sometimes after clicking the homepage button, the home page appears a second later while it's instant on Chrome & Firefox. So I think this should be their main priority instead of startup boost. They should get rid of this ntp.msn.com dependencies or find a way to make it faster.

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
So, everyone who is currently on build 89: how do you like the new tabs feature? I think it's VERY well done, it takes a tiny bit of adapting from the previous arrangement but it's working well so far. Now, I can open a new tab in a new window quick and easy. Plus, I think it looks really good with the website icons as well.

What are everyone's thoughts so far?

new verttab.PNG

Morro

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 8, 2012
So, everyone who is currently on build 89: how do you like the new tabs feature? I think it's VERY well done, it takes a tiny bit of adapting from the previous arrangement but it's working well so far. Now, I can open a new tab in a new window quick and easy. Plus, I think it looks really good with the website icons as well.

What are everyone's thoughts so far?

Well I am trying it out for a while, but I am so used to Horizontal tabs that at the moment it feels weird with the vertical tabs. I will give it a try for another day or so to see if I can get used to it ... if not I will switch back to Horizontal tabs.

amirr

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 26, 2020
I agree. I just wished if I could get rid of "install app" prompts in Edge:
1615058257335.png

I never install such things and I don't know why I should see such useless prompt every time.
I think its best to make an option to disable the prompts.

I really admire that they made an option to turn off the developer tools so someone would not open it by mistake:
1615058379721.png

Cortex

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 4, 2016
Never been a fan of the likes of start up boost, glad all programs don't do that? - My other half's Edge has a nervous breakdown a few days ago & deleted all it's settings & extensions, it might have been having a bad day? (I know the feeling) Anyway did a clean-up & imaged her lappy so going install Brave & see how she goes on with it? Work of a few mins to restore imager if she don't like it.

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.