Screenshot 2021-05-28 070815.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
MS trying to be smart? When DNS blocks a webpage (malware/filtering), Edge tries to connect using GoogleDNS.
While it is an interesting feature, it beats the point of DNS filtering and most people just do not block outbound.

Did you use/ enforce encrypted DNS in Edge?
Isn’t there also an option to have it look for a relevant page if the one you entered returns nothing? Maybe they use a fallback DNS for that. Forgive me I forget the setting name and don’t have a windows machine near me at the moment.

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
And the rollout has started... got 91.0.864.37 by checking for updates.
No official release notes yet.
Release notes:
Version 91.0.864.37: May 27:
Stable channel security updates are listed here.
May 27, 2021
Microsoft has released the latest Microsoft Edge Stable Channel (Version 91.0.864.37), which incorporates the latest Security Updates of the Chromium project. For more information, see the Security Update Guide.

This update contains the following Microsoft Edge-specific update:
Edge is now up to date with Chromium version 91.0.4472.77.

razorfancy

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Nov 27, 2016
Anyone else has this new folder(EdgeCore) after updating to version 91?

HDPxuvH.png

The content inside EdgeCore folder seems to be very similar to the content inside the folder: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft\Edge\Application\91.0.864.37
But the folders size is not the same.

I move the EdgeCore folder to a different location to see if would cause Edge to crash but that didnt happen so I wonder what is the purpose of that folder.

Last edited:

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Anyone else has this new folder(EdgeCore) after updating to version 91?

HDPxuvH.png

The content inside EdgeCore folder seems to be very similar to the content inside the folder: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft\Edge\Application\91.0.864.37
But the folders size is not the same.

I move the EdgeCore folder to a different location to see if would cause Edge to crash but that didnt happen.
Yes, I have the same EdgeCore folder:

Schermafbeelding 2021-05-28 102853.png

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
Isn’t there also an option to have it look for a relevant page if the one you entered returns nothing? Maybe they use a fallback DNS for that.
Yes, you are right, it is related to the "Suggest similar sites when a webpage can not be found." But they say that the request will be sent to MS, not to Google, some might not like it.
Did you use/ enforce encrypted DNS in Edge?
Not in Edge, but in Windows, still this did not happen in 90. I literally spend the whole day configuring WFC and this started happening as soon as I updated to 91.
Apps making DNS requests is normal, if DNS Cache is disabled, but it is not, that makes it even more interesting, Edge can basically bypass Windows DNS now.

Attachments

• capture_05282021_105053.jpg
    capture_05282021_105053.jpg
    207.2 KB · Views: 185
Last edited:

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
Sometimes there's this white flash when going back to the homepage. No matter which theme I choose it's there. I don't remember having this issue before updating to 91. Maybe a bug related to the newly implemented theming feature. I checked Chrome which doesn't have this problem.
Edit: Sometimes even when loading a page.
1.gif

Last edited:
F

ForgottenSeer 85179

Yes, you are right, it is related to the "Suggest similar sites when a webpage can not be found." But they say that the request will be sent to MS, not to Google, some might not like it.

Not in Edge, but in Windows, still this did not happen in 90. I literally spend the whole day configuring WFC and this started happening as soon as I updated to 91.
Apps making DNS requests is normal, if DNS Cache is disabled, but it is not, that makes it even more interesting, Edge can basically bypass Windows DNS now.
Try enable secure DNS and set it to use current one which is your system or router.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.