Serious Discussion Microsoft Edge Stable (Chromium) Now Available for Download

Mjolnir

Level 2
Verified
Jul 4, 2019
You should report this via Edge Settings > Feedback feature and you can include a screenshot automatically if you reproduce the YT bug. I sometimes repeat the bug report over time if it's an especially annoying bug that hasn't been fixed, e.g. on startup browser wasn't opening to selected pages.

One annoying bug that hasn't been fixed: browser hangs for 2-3 seconds upon closing.:rolleyes:

Edit: This bug has been present since the introduction of Edge Chromium.
Have you tried disabling the setting -"continue running apps and extensions in the background when browser is closed"

Reactions: Nevi and Venustus

lukpallograph

Jan 10, 2022
My wife's laptop had similar issues on Win11, what I did was
a) set power management profile of GPU to default
b) set Windows power management to balanced
c) disabled efficiency modus and sleeping tabs in Edge

I do not have power profiles on that dell, there is only one, default one (default), a bit modified by me - enabled hibernation (also in power menu), and with minimal cpu = 1%
Have enabled efficiency mode only on battery
Just disabled sleeping mode, will test, thanks!

I had same issue, try Intel graphics driver v30.0.101.1191. Driver update solved it for me.

Windows Update downloaded version 30.0.101.1192 yesterday - do not found changelog for that, but will also test, thanks!

brambedkar59

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
Screenshot 2022-01-21 112742.png

silversurfer

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014

Microsoft Edge downloads get delayed or slow to start​

When you download something, generally, Edge displays them in its flyout menu with its progress.

But after beginning the download, it is taking some dealy like 10 seconds or more for the download to process.

Similarly, when you right-click and save an image, the dialog doesn’t get displayed immediately, instead, it appears after some time.
“I’m not sure what is going on. This started yesterday. Everytime I need to download something, it takes forever to start the download. There is a lagging of 8-10 seconds between command execution. The download speed is itself fine. There is a delay also on “Save image as”. I re installed edge and reboot and no change. What’s going on?” one user reported on Reddit.

“Edge painfully slow to load save file and download dialog box. Hello having issues last few days with dialog box appearing super slow when saving images or any file. No issues in Firefox or Chrome cleared all my data, cookies, cache” another said in the community forum.

After all, seems this has to do with extensions.
For this case, Malwarebytes is causing the issue. It may be interfering or scanning for file download before being taken over by the Edge download manager.

We’ve tested Edge 97 with Malwarebytes browser Guard extension installed and can confirm the same behavior in Edge, but not in Firefox and Chrome browsers, for a surprise. So the developer may have to fix this Edge Specific issue.

If you’re not using Malwarebytes, it is worth disabling all extensions, particularly of third-party antivirus.

Last edited:

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
Is anyone using Edge on both their PC and SmartPhone with syncing history feature turned on?
Here on mine, sites that I visit on my phone sometimes don't show up on PC's Edge history.
When it does, it only shows the domain instead of the full link.
For example: If I visit something like: "ghacks(.)com/Edge-Is-Awesome" on my Edge for Android, on the PC it only shows ghacks(.)com. Not the actual page/article.
This seems odd and not normal.
On the Edge for Android's history, it shows the full URLs of websites that I visited on my PC. Like it should do. But it's not happening on the PC.
Also, as I said I even faced an issue where the history of a browsing session of Android didn't show up on the PC at all.
So I'm not sure what's the issue. Can anyone check how it behaves on their device?
Chrome and Firefox have no issue btw. And I'm using NextDNS with OISD and Adguard DNS filter. Temporarily tried switching to Cloudflare but the issue remains. So it's not related to my DNS blocking.

silversurfer

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014

Microsoft Edge’s Video of the day​

The latest stable version of Micorsoft Edge has added a new option to the New Tab Page layout settings in the Custom menu for Background to display either image or video on the New Tab daily.

When a user selects that option, Edge may show a video of the day and offers an option to pause the video.

When you pause the video, on the next launch, the video will continue to play rather than in paused mode.

Edge playing video on New tab background

Requirement: Windows OS needs to have animations or animation effects tuned on for Edge to autoplay videos on New Tab Page. On Windows 11, head to Settings >Accessibility > Visual effects and ensure the Animation effects setting is enabled.
Since this is an option and not enabled by default, users should not worry about Edge consuming resources. But the feature definitely raises concerns about impacting system performance or memory ad CPU.

silversurfer

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
Haven't they anything else to do?

Microsoft looks like continues this way, although the majority of user-base clearly disagree about usefulness for this kind of bloat features added over months last year 🤷‍♂️

EDIT: On the other side, "Sleeping Tabs" that's perfect work by Microsoft, or latest security improvement "Super Duper Secure Mode". Reasons to be satisfied for Edge users.

Last edited:

silversurfer

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014

Microsoft Edge: Microsoft's "see what sticks" development approach​

Closing Words
Microsoft is adding most new features to experimental versions of Edge first. The features get tested then by users and Microsoft uses feedback and Telemetry data to determine a feature's fate. Not all of the features will make it into stable versions of Edge in the end. Still, it feels a lot like feature overload currently, with Microsoft testing more and more features in Edge that at least some users might want to see implemented as extensions rather than features that everyone is exposed to.

Trooper

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 28, 2015

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.