Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Version 98.0.1108.43: February 03
Microsoft Edge VersionDate ReleasedBased on Chromium Version
98.0.1108.432/3/202298.0.4758.80

Feature updates​

• Enhance your security on the web. This is a browsing mode in Microsoft Edge where browser security takes priority, giving users an extra layer of protection when browsing the web. Administrators can apply group policies to end-user desktops (Windows, macOS, and Linux) to help protect against in-the-wild exploits (also referred to 0-days). The following group policies support this browsing mode:
  • Personalize multi-profile experiences with profile preferences for sites. Users can personalize their multi-profile experience with the ability to create a customized list of sites for automatic profile switching in Microsoft Edge.
  • Upcoming three-digit version number in user agent string. Starting with version 100, Microsoft Edge will send a three-digit version number in the User-Agent header, for example "Edg/100". Starting with Microsoft Edge 97, site owners can test this upcoming user agent string by enabling the #force-major-version-to-100 experiment flag in edge://flags to ensure their User-Agent parsing logic is robust and works as expected.
  • Deprecate WebRTC's Plan B SDP semantics. This change deprecates a legacy Session Description Protocol (SDP) dialect called Plan B. This SDP format is being replaced by the Unified Plan, which is a spec-compliant and cross-browser compatible SDP format. For more information, see the Chrome Platform Status entry PSA: Plan B should throw in M96 Beta and Stable, and PSA: Plan B throwing in Stable and Extended Deprecation Trial End Date. Requesting a Trial for RTCPeerConnection Plan B SDP Semantics allows sites to continue to use the deprecated API until version 101.
  • Overlay scrollbars added to Microsoft Edge. We've updated our scrollbars with an overlay-based design. Users can turn this feature on in edge://flags.

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
It seems that it should now support the enable of the ACG, but still if the ACG is enabled, then Edge does not start.
IMO looks like it's a policy to configure what's already in settings:

1643999954515.png

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
F

ForgottenSeer 92963

I checked the policies, it is indeed SuperDupermode Off, Balanced or Strict. Admins now can control what ENHANCED security mode can be bypassed (#enhancesecuritymodebypasslistdomains) or automatically enforced (s#enhancesecuritymodeenforcelistdomains). But I don't see such a setting for profiles.
In the settings (profile section) a new option is visible, but I can't seem to add websites/domains
1644064929167.png

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
I checked the policies, it is indeed SuperDupermode Off, Balanced or Strict. Admins now can control what ENHANCED security mode can be bypassed (#enhancesecuritymodebypasslistdomains) or automatically enforced (s#enhancesecuritymodeenforcelistdomains). But I don't see such a setting for profiles.
In the settings (profile section) a new option is visible, but I can't seem to add websites/domains
View attachment 264070
Maybe you can only see the sites set with the admin policies?

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
New in Edge: Added security:

View attachment 264069

Unfortunately, it doesn't say what is changed.

Some more info can probably be found here:
And here:
The two referenced articles refer to this:
1644077242834.png

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
Personalize multi-profile experiences with profile preferences for sites

Anyone know how to set this? I see the option, but have no idea how to add websites to a certain profile.
I don't have info on how to specify sites, but I can't understander enabling this for personal use because it would be too restrictive, i.e. cumbersome to manage. For organizations, it might make sense.

brambedkar59

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
Personalize multi-profile experiences with profile preferences for sites

Anyone know how to set this? I see the option, but have no idea how to add websites to a certain profile.
On an open tab you can right click, move to and select profile (you have to create second profile beforehand though). Moving tab to another profile doesn't move it's login info/cookies though.
I have another question , when deleting history/cookies does it delete just for the profile or whole browser? Also my other security settings are same as my default profile I thought they would be reset to default settings for a new profile.

Last edited:
F

ForgottenSeer 92963

@oldschool @Gandalf_The_Grey @brambedkar59

Thanks for the info. I think this is a really great feature. I will be using a very restrictive default profile (everything on strict and block) switching to profiles for specific purpose (one for online banking one for online buying and one for online meetings).

EDIT: I decided to keep my two profiles only in stead of using 'easy mode' as default I use 'strict mode' as default.
1644143668223.png

Last edited by a moderator:
F

ForgottenSeer 92963

FYI how you can use this new "switch profile" per website feature. I use ' easy mode' profile for my bookmarked websites (inlcuding online banking and buying). Strict mode is the default (when Edge is invoked in other applications, for example when clicking on links included in e-mails).
1644145821889.png
Explanation:
Green = settings which I have hardened security in ' easy mode' profile compared to Edge default settings
Yellow= settings which are further tightened in 'strict mode' profile compared to my ' easy mode' profile

EDIT
@moderators Thanks for making the picture so small it becomes in-usable. I put effort in sharing information and setup tips (you could also have hidden the picture in a spoiler) (n)(n)(n)

Last edited by a moderator:

silversurfer

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
Microsoft is working on a new feature for its Microsoft Edge web browser that it calls Edge Bar. Edge Bar displays content in a floating window or pinned to the right side of the screen; both states are independent of the Edge browser window.

edge bar

Closing words​

Edge Bar is like a small browser window that you may attach to the side of the screen. It resembles the sidebar of the Vivaldi web browser, but is unattached from the browser window.

Edge Bar is configured to launch with the computer by default; this needs to be disabled in the Edge settings, edge://settings/edgeBar, while all personalization options are configured on the MSN website and not in Edge.

Microsoft continues to push its MSN news feed and Bing Search to users. Widgets and News & Interests are already available on Windows 10 and 11, and the default tab of the Edge browser displays the information as well already. Edge Bar's main attraction is the ability to display custom URLs. Many users do so already by displaying two browser windows side by side though.

The interface lacks customization options. You can't change the search engine or remove it, and you can't remove the default icons either in the interface.

Gangelo

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Jul 29, 2017
As long as all these 'features' can be disabled or stay out of the way I do not mind using the browser.
Tried to use chrome for a few days but came back running.. 😁 I have grown to like Edge no matter the flaws. It's still better than chrome.
As for the sidebar, I have not used it but it could be useful for some cases, for example outlook mail.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.