Microsoft Updates - Quality Control Concerns

Status
Not open for further replies.
E

Eddie Morra

Andy - you make great points.

There's a really slim chance that what I suggested will ever happen whilst Microsoft is managed by the people who are currently in-charge.

It is a sad truth... we all have to get on with it until people stop giving Microsoft money, which will probably never happen. Only then will it be critical enough for them to make such adjustments.

Andy Ful

From Hard_Configurator Tools
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
Andy - you make great points.

There's a really slim chance that what I suggested will ever happen whilst Microsoft is managed by the people who are currently in-charge.

It is a sad truth... we all have to get on with it until people stop giving Microsoft money, which will probably never happen. Only then will it be critical enough for them to make such adjustments.
Hi Eddie, it is nice to see you surfing on the new wave.:giggle:
the perfect wave.jpg

F

ForgottenSeer 72227

Moving back to Microsoft and user-feedback, there's not much point in having feedback systems when you aren't going to take it on-board. The whole point of a feedback system is to get insight on what your customers actually want from you and to adapt accordingly to keep the customers happy.

I've always had bad feelings when I heard the Microsoft got rid of their QA department. It's all fine and dandy to have a feedback system and an insider program, but those shouldn't fully replace an in house QA team. I do get that these programs can help Microsoft in their development, because lets face it, Windows has a whole has so many hardware/software combos , it makes it practically impossible to test every scenario, but they need to use and listen to the feedback in conjunction with an internal QA team to insure the release doesn't cause any issues.

Its sad, but very true, money is the only thing these companies understand and unless their bottom line is affected somehow, it won't change. For you Star Wars fans out there, this actually recently happened with Disney. After the backlash they got from the Last Jedi, The Han Solo movie essentially bombed at the box office and it wasn't until this happened that Disney was like, oh crap, we seriously pissed off our fans I think we need to rethink our strategy with these movies, or else, and so far they seem to be taking it far more seriously then they were in the past.

Vasudev

Level 33
Verified
Nov 8, 2014
It's even worse when documented things are randomly changed out of the blue (like documented APIs becoming deprecated and made obsolete) without anyone actually being notified of such behaviour.

Sometimes, I'll be going through some documentation, and magically stumble on the fact that a well-known and commonly-used API has just been made obsolete out of the blue... and as-per-usual, there'll be no real explanation as to why this was the case (which doesn't help anyone either - it would be nice to know why the API was made obsolete to improve knowledge and extend experience), and another API will be shilled instead. How is anyone else who are already using the now-obsolete API supposed to know about this if they aren't notified? It isn't feasible for developers of large software-projects to re-check the same documentation every day of every week when they are using a variety of different APIs, sometimes in the hundreds or thousands. I doubt many here have worked on projects which consist of hundreds of thousands of lines of code (through a variety of different languages) or even in the millions, but I certainly have, and I can tell you right now that it isn't feasible.

It's a bit like the privacy policies which state they have the right to be updated at any moment without the user being notified about the changes. It just isn't feasible for the user to re-read the entire privacy policy every hour of every day just in case it is updated out of the blue.

Microsoft need a proper system for developers where they can view a summary of internal changes for anything that is to do with something Microsoft have in the past documented and officially vouched/supported. And this "proper system" should not be exclusive to specific companies or individuals, but be open to everyone and everywhere. Completely free of charge.

Randomly updating documentation or changing documented things without updating the documenting causes third-party software to have more issues than they may already have, which in turn screws things up for the rest of us. A bit like how the lack of documentation for AMSI led everyone apart from Microsoft to be unable to use AMSI to its full potential (at-least without the difficulty of having to manually spend time reverse-engineering the whole implementation).

Moving back to Microsoft and user-feedback, there's not much point in having feedback systems when you aren't going to take it on-board. The whole point of a feedback system is to get insight on what your customers actually want from you and to adapt accordingly to keep the customers happy.
Happened to me every time. Some APIs did work flawlessly in older Windows 10 and in newer W10 build my apps which I write will break suddenly and I don't have any idea what I did. So, instead of wasting my time on Win 10 UWP or other ML/AI things I prefer Python on Linux. Less hassle and headaches because I usually clean install Linux once new LTS version is out. Then there are huge VS 2017 updates that choke my limited internet packs.
When more user feedbacks were being ignored, I uninstalled feedback and other telemetry BS from W10 and now I do it on my slipstreamed W10 wherein I removed around 1GB or more from each Win 10 editions and trimmed from stock 4.5GB to mere 3.5GB containing 4 editions or more w/o any bloatwares.
We can forget about the above.
  1. M$ will say that making the full documentation available, will make Windows vulnerable, too.
  2. The feedback system works only in the M$ direction. They are going to accept those solutions which can match their corporate strategy. The true customers are not home users and software developers, but rather Enterprises and Institutions.
  3. The true Windows OS is Windows Enterprise edition or Windows Server (customers connected to the big local networks). The other versions (Home, Pro, Education) are just stripped versions of the Enterprise edition. The Home edition could be called a Shareware edition.
Even Without publishing much info they're vulnerable but not as vulnerable like XP.
The problem with MSFT is, they don't use their products at all! They use Macbook Pros and iphones/iPads as daily driver and to top it off, OS X. So, W10 will be needing Guinea Pigs within the company unless their chief insist on following their rule to use their Surface Lineup and Win 10 exclusively but they don't enforce such rules.
Its better to stick with older W10 with little or no updates rather than waste our time on fixing upgraded W10 OS.
One biggest issue I face on laptops with dual GPUs especially Nvidia + Intel is Nvi optimus. W10 makes it worse every upgrade cycles and never fixes it even though Surface Lineup use Optimus technology.
I use Home edition with win update blocker and just yesterday I installed build 345 for 17134 edition of W10. No need for GP'ing for new updates.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.