Status
Not open for further replies.

Kuttz

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 9, 2015
So we should stop progression because of lazy and careless developers? I guess we should all go back to Internet Explorer and stop the TLS 1.2, HTTP/2 and HTML5 migration in order to keep ancient code working.

If there's one thing I learned decades ago, was you need to constantly evolve and accept change, whining and refusing to learn will get you nowhere in IT.

I also like facts and fairness, and truth is, people been whining and spreading misinformation about Microsoft and W10 since day one. Fact is people don't go online to say "My system is working perfectly", they go online looking for help! So using that as statistic is ridiculous.

I can't speak globally, but over here every company I been to is using W10 (I actually haven't seen W7 in years), I won't deny there were some issues with domains and compatibility early on in some of them (which we solved), but there's nothing that proves W10 is more problematic than any previous version of Windows, in fact it has become more stable.

By destroying those things which already works is what you call a progression then I have nothing to say. I myself support progression in every part of life not limited to IT. As I said earlier it is the Windows 10 users suffers the most whether its because of MS fault or the 3rd party software.

Reactions: In2an3_PpG

So we should stop progression because of lazy and careless developers? I guess we should all go back to Internet Explorer and stop the TLS 1.2, HTTP/2 and HTML5 migration in order to keep ancient code working.

Who said anything about stopping development, innovation and progression ? You are putting words into other peoples' mouths.

Most people do, however, want reliability over everything else.

If there's one thing I learned decades ago, was that you need to constantly evolve and accept change, whining and refusing to learn will get you nowhere in IT.

Really ? Now developers are not only lazy and careless, but also whiners and refuse to learn because they do not like the way that Microsoft does things. Perhaps if Microsoft did something to you that literally cost you hundreds of thousands or millions of dollars then you wouldn't be so smug. What and how Microsoft does things out here in the real world is always costing people and firms money.

I also like facts and fairness, and truth is, people been whining and spreading misinformation about Microsoft and W10 since day one. People don't go online to say "My system is working perfectly", they go online looking for help! So using that as statistic is ridiculous.

No, it's not ridiculous to use incident reports as a metric for Windows 10 problems. The fact is, in some areas they have increased while in other areas they have decreased. As far as Windows 10 update problems, they are just as bad as Windows 7 updates.

It isn't whining at all to point out how Microsoft has adopted policies and ways of doing things that the industry has complained about for decades. Heck... even Eugene Kaspersky has been saying it for decades. But I suppose that's OK because it is Eugene saying it - instead of someone on a forum or an industry reporter or insider.

It isn't about Windows 10 per se. It is about how Microsoft does things. Something that the industry has criticized Microsoft about for decades.

All one need do is talk to admins and developers about run-ins with Microsoft and Windows, and it becomes clear that how and what Microsoft does is not endearing.

L

Local Host

By destroying those things which already works is what you call a progression then I have nothing to say. I myself support progression in every part of life not limited to IT. As I said earlier it is the Windows 10 users suffers the most whether its because of MS fault or the 3rd party software.
I don't see anyone whining about Google and Firefox API changes in their browsers, which make ancient extensions unusable.

It's the third-parties fault, and Microsoft learned their lesson hard with Windows XP while trying to keep compatibility. If the Software you using is not maintained by the developer, you should look for alternatives which will keep you more secure overall.

Kuttz

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 9, 2015
If the Software you using is not maintained by the developer, you should look for alternatives which will keep you more secure overall.

So called security at the cost of usability. You can be more safe by not using a PC at all :D People use Windows PC for some reasons if that is broke by whatever reason then the blame goes to the platform itself than on to 3rd party software. What the end user wants is a stable, reliable Windows PC experience which MS repeatedly failed with Windows 10 since its beginning.

Last edited:

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
I appreciated the article and the many comments on the website. It was all very educational.

And just for good measure: I'm all for freedom of expression and diversity of opinion and I am all for civil debate and disagreement. To wit: tone or manner of expression matters just as much as the opinion expressed!

L

Local Host

So called security at the cost of usability. You can be more safe by not using a Windows 10 PC at all :D People use Windows PC for some reasons if that is broke by whatever reason then the blame goes to the platform itself than on to 3rd party software. What the end user wants is a stable, reliable Windows PC experience which MS repeatedly failed with Windows 10 since its begining.
Considering the huge amount of alternatives in Windows, you'll hardly lose any usability, a Software that is not maintained is a risk (especially in the Enterprise market, where outdated Software is constantly targeted for exploits).

In the long run, that same Software affects Home Users.

Reactions: oldschool

Kuttz

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 9, 2015
Considering the huge amount of alternatives in Windows, you'll hardly lose any usability, a Software that is not maintained is a risk (especially in the Enterprise market, where outdated Software is constantly targeted for exploits).

In the long run, that same Software affects Home Users.

End users especially home users value reliability from their Windows PCs more than so called "security" you talk about. If one's printer driver broke with a bugged Windows 10 feature upgrade his time and productivity is lost, the inconvenience and frustration caused to him is priceless. Most Printer vendors won't maintain driver support for more than a year or two. The very reason Windows PC exists is because of its Usability nothing else. If security was the top priority to most, Linux could have been the dominant OS with lots of apps support as a side effect. Your point is moot and laughable at best.

E

Eddie Morra

giphy.gif

L

Local Host

End users especially home users value reliability from their Windows PCs more than so called "security" you talk about. If one's printer driver broke with a bugged Windows 10 feature upgrade his time and productivity is lost, the inconvenience and frustration caused to him is priceless. Most Printer vendors won't maintain driver support for more than a year or two. The very reason Windows PC exists is because of its Usability nothing else. If security was the top priority to most, Linux could have been the dominant OS with lots of apps support as a side effect. Your point is moot and laughable at best.
Microsoft provides generic drivers for printers, and printers are supported for decades if you buy from a reputable company (HP and EPSON).
How to know from outside if the software used in enterprise environment is outdated?
The same way Sony Interactive Entertainment was attacked multiple times with severe data loss due to using outdated Software.

Andy Ful

From Hard_Configurator Tools
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
Alien 1: (**On the radio**) "Guys, you there back at base? Over"
Alien HQ: "Yeah we're here."
Alien 1: "We made it to Earth. It took us a thousand years but we actually did it... the whole group have survived. What's our next move?"
Alien HQ: "Are they smart?"
Alien 1: "Yeah. Hold on, there's this popular thing called Windows here"
Alien HQ: "Send me the download"
Alien 2: "I sent it"

**10m later**

Alien HQ: "They can't and won't ever be able to help us. Your instructions are to get back in the spaceship and return immediately. Do not give any sign that aliens exist... do not attempt to make contact with any of them. Just get out of there ASAP and we will forget all of this ever happened. Now. NOW!"

I overheard what one alien said:
"What a stupid population the humans are. More than 100 million people were killed in wars in the twentieth century. Furthermore, over 1 million people die in road crashes each year, which gives the same statistics as for wars. The human life is very cheap. They do not bother much about security. That is why they deserve Windows and fast food."
I was very irritated - why aliens do not understand us?

Andy Ful

Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
That statement simply is not accurate.
No one knows the right number. I can confirm that I had several problems with Windows Updates on Windows 8.1 and prior versions, until I started keeping things simple. No problems from that moment, even with the last upgrade to ver. 1809. If the user has to install 3rd party applications (especially security related) then everything is possible on Windows 10 - that is a sad truth.

Edit.
My flawless experience with Windows 10 follows probably, from pretty much standard hardware, too.

Last edited:

Andy Ful

Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
I think that the discussion about Microsoft would be simpler if everybody could accept the below:
  1. Windows Home is not suited for the home users. It has many features that a home user does not need and they are not secure, at all. Yet, some essential features are not available (like deferred updates).
  2. Microsoft does not care much about home users, but it started to care about Enterprise security. The forced updates for Windows Home are the reflection of it. The home users are like Guinea pigs for that. If you do not want to be a Guinea pig, then buy Windows Pro, at least.
  3. Only Enterprises can fight with Microsoft to change the way it develops Windows.
  4. There is no reason for Microsoft to care about home users. The corporations can love only the money.
  5. The home user, has the right to complain about Microsoft, but this is like complaining about something like Hurricane Katrina.
Many posts on this thread assumes that Microsoft should care about home users. I do not think that it is the right assumption. Microsoft is more like Katrina than like Romeo.:giggle:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.