Mullvad + Kaspersky = Blocked Connection

Zerion

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Mar 2, 2016
Hello MT!

As the title says, i can't seem to get mullvad to work more than after a computer restart.. then it just works for a while.. But 80% of the time it say " Connection blocked " i know alot of MT community uses Mullvad as their VPN, so any one else experianced this? I've tried different settings on kaspersky as well without any luck!

Any tips? Thanks in advance.

motox781

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Apr 1, 2015
I use Mullvad VPN with KTS 20.0.14.1085 (h). No problems (except the new version of Mullvad (released Feb 13th, 2020.2), KTS blocked the internet connection due to my custom settings in app control).

I would try uninstalling Mullvad. Maybe it is missing a TAP adapter (I received a notification about this today when I upgraded). I just re-installed, removed it from restricted category in KTS app control, and all was fine.

The new version for Mullvad 2020.2 is located on their site:

Changlog for 2020.2:

Note: One other thing, maybe your settings are off. Port, tunnel, etc. If you still have problems, try to uninstall Mullvad and DON'T keep settings. That way everything will install to default.

Note 2: And if you exhausted every option, I would uninstall Kaspersky to see if Kaspersky is really causing the issue. Trial and error.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

Zerion

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Mar 2, 2016
suggestion

uninstall mullvad client
remove the vpn virtual network adapters (TAP, wireguard)
perform network reset
reinstall mullvad client

most of the time this has worked but not always

you might want to disable KIS real-time during all this
Will try that, even tho i have reseted and reinstalled eveything already before.. but when i start my computer it automatic connects and it works fine, then i have to disable to VPN to view my favorite show on HBO, then when im about to enable it after that it says " blocked connection "... so that's about it, only way to fix it is to restart computer...

And mullvad support says " The problem is with kaspersky, we can't make it compitable with everything out there "

Reactions: Dave Russo
F

ForgottenSeer 85911

And mullvad support says " The problem is with kaspersky, we can't make it compitable with everything out there "

mullvad just test on bare windows, if it works then it is good enough for them
they do not do any compatibility testing and they do not want to fix anything in their client

suggestion
if above does not work then try the wireguard client
wireguard client was much more reliable and convenient

Zerion

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Mar 2, 2016
mullvad just test on bare windows, if it works then it is good enough for them
they do not do any compatibility testing and they do not want to fix anything in their client

suggestion
if above does not work then try the wireguard client
wireguard client was much more reliable and convenient
Yeah, sadly that seems to be the case! I'll try what you said! Thanks for all the help! :)

Reactions: Dave Russo
F

ForgottenSeer 85911

I have never read or heard about any of this!

unless you interact much with mullvad support on such matters you would not know
but it is fact ask @Zerion
they tell him disable KIS
did you read all posts in thread ?

Last edited by a moderator:

Zerion

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Mar 2, 2016
I use Mullvad together with KIS without any problems. Checks that application control also includes sslocal.exe and openvpn.exe in trusted applications.

Tried to exclude sslocal.exe, and openvpn.exe, even tho i use the Wireguard protocol. Let's see if this works, else im thinking of switching to ESET.

F

ForgottenSeer 85911

Tried to exclude sslocal.exe, and openvpn.exe, even tho i use the Wireguard protocol. Let's see if this works, else im thinking of switching to ESET.

in your case the actual networking is done by 'mullvad vpn.exe' process
use TCP View to see

mullvad is know for numerous incompatibilities and problems their killswitch
support routienly asked users to revert to earlier client or switch to wireguard client
lots of users think killswitch adds much security but in reality this is not true

Zerion

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Mar 2, 2016
I use Mullvad together with KIS without any problems. Checks that application control also includes sslocal.exe and openvpn.exe in trusted applications.

I think this tip worked for me, so far so good atleast, i'll keep you guys updated! Anyways, thanks a ton for the help everyone! Truly appriciate it!

F

ForgottenSeer 85911

False positive... Same again now.. Imma just delete mullvad application and use wireguard's own! That works fine!

no killswitch but convenient and fast sometimes problems with individual wireguard servers
mullvad making big overhauls since signing deals with malwarebytes and mozilla
they will mess it all up and then last remaining option will be ivpn

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.