Battle My Kaspersky is Going to Expire. Please suggest me any of the Security solution

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrExplorer

Level 28
Thread author
Verified
Nov 15, 2012
Please suggest me any security software which i can you my kaspersky is going to expire in 1 week please suggest me i want order my new security software as fast as i can.

My Requirement:
1.Good User Interface
2.Fast
3.Offcourse a good dectection rate
4.Supports windows 8

I had ordered ESET Smart Security by consulting UmbraCorp. i will get my ESET in 1 or 2 hours

Reactions: Logethica
P

Plexx

3 options:

Paid: ESET AV + built in windows firewall or ESET Smart Security as a standalone

Free:

1. AVG Antivirus Free + built in windows firewall or COMODO Firewall or zonealarm firewall

2. Comodo Internet Security 5.12 (specifically for Windows 8) + K9 Web Protection

Unless you really need more than the protection of the 3 above.

2 have HIPS while AVG uses a Behavior Blocker (Identity Protection is the name of the module).

All 3 solutions above and its combo are light on resources and I/O.

ESET sits on 2 processes up to 100k regardless due to signatures being loaded in RAM.

Comodo combo 3 processes

AVG Combo 3 processes if memory serves me right

Scan speed: From Fastest to Slowest: ESET - AVG - Comodo

I have published a total of over 5 videos on all 3 products (comodo having most videos, ESET sitting on 2 videos or 3 and AVG 1). All can be found under the community videos section here.

MrExplorer

Level 28
Thread author
Verified
Nov 15, 2012
maaster said:
ESET Smart Security 6...It satisfies the first three requirements but I don't know about the 4th one though!ESS 6 is now in release candidate stage ...but I don't know whether it is now fully compatible with win 8..

Thanx for the lovely suggestion i will make my final decision after all my comments.

MrExplorer

Level 28
Thread author
Verified
Nov 15, 2012
Umbra Corp. said:
ESET SS all the way

Thanx for the suggestion i will give my final anwser after reading all my comments but littlebit i am thinking of eset beacuse as you said that the detectionrate is similar & some of my friends also saying to use eset smart security

maaster

Level 1
Aug 5, 2012
Advantages:
1)lighter than kaspersky
2)Interactive firewall mode (not available in many internet security suites,but I like this feature)
3)HIPS(but you must congigure by first using learning mode)
4)simple user interface.
5)very quick at startup..starts as soon as the system is booted(no time lag)
6)small update file sizes(only 10-15 mb per week)

Disadvantage:
1)slightly lower detection rate compared to kaspresky but when you use HIPS on policy based mode,no malware can intrude the system!

malbky

Level 1
Jun 23, 2011
If its a war between ESET and Kaspersky, then it is Kaspersky all along. From a pure usability perspective kaspersky is very good.
The other option I give you is of Bitdefender IS 2013. Try it and its way better.
You can also try a free av combo like Biozfear said.
Remember that AVG free just gets one update a day and also lacks online scanner.
So you need to get Traffic light or k9 web protection.

MrExplorer

Level 28
Thread author
Verified
Nov 15, 2012
malbky said:
If its a war between ESET and Kaspersky, then it is Kaspersky all along. From a pure usability perspective kaspersky is very good.
The other option I give you is of Bitdefender IS 2013. Try it and its way better.
You can also try a free av combo like Biozfear said.
Remember that AVG free just gets one update a day and also lacks online scanner.
So you need to get Traffic light or k9 web protection.

I don't want to use a free security suite beacuse in our country antivirus are too cheaper as compared to us & europe
bitdefender it too large i can't afford its updates as it have many mbs of updates & my internet speed is too slow as compared to others.

MrExplorer

Level 28
Thread author
Verified
Nov 15, 2012
maaster said:
Advantages:
1)lighter than kaspersky
2)Interactive firewall mode (not available in many internet security suites,but I like this feature)
3)HIPS(but you must congigure by first using learning mode)
4)simple user interface.
5)very quick at startup..starts as soon as the system is booted(no time lag)
6)small update file sizes(only 10-15 mb per week)

Disadvantage:
1)slightly lower detection rate compared to kaspresky but when you use HIPS on policy based mode,no malware can intrude the system!

Thanx for suggestion lovely suggestion.
i like your signature nice quote.

MrExplorer

Level 28
Thread author
Verified
Nov 15, 2012
Biozfear said:
3 options:

Paid: ESET AV + built in windows firewall or ESET Smart Security as a standalone

Free:

1. AVG Antivirus Free + built in windows firewall or COMODO Firewall or zonealarm firewall

2. Comodo Internet Security 5.12 (specifically for Windows 8) + K9 Web Protection

Unless you really need more than the protection of the 3 above.

2 have HIPS while AVG uses a Behavior Blocker (Identity Protection is the name of the module).

All 3 solutions above and its combo are light on resources and I/O.

ESET sits on 2 processes up to 100k regardless due to signatures being loaded in RAM.

Comodo combo 3 processes

AVG Combo 3 processes if memory serves me right

Scan speed: From Fastest to Slowest: ESET - AVG - Comodo

I have published a total of over 5 videos on all 3 products (comodo having most videos, ESET sitting on 2 videos or 3 and AVG 1). All can be found under the community videos section here.

Nice way of explaining

MrExplorer

Level 28
Thread author
Verified
Nov 15, 2012
RE:

Earth said:
How much cheaper than the US and Europe?

Unknown said:
I had ordered ESET Smart Security by consulting UmbraCorp. i will get my ESET in 1 or 2 hours
i had bought ESET Smart Security for US$ 12.5272
i don't know the current price of ESET in USA & Europe.
but its cheaper more than 50% as compared tothe price of USA & Europe

KLMALWAREHUNTER

Level 3
Oct 20, 2012
maaster said:
Advantages:
1)lighter than kaspersky True
2)Interactive firewall mode (not available in many internet security suites,but I like this feature)Kaspersky FW are very configurable and more potent that ESET fw
3)HIPS(but you must congigure by first using learning mode) Kaspersky Have HIPS
4)simple user interface. Same that Kaspersky, and i think is more simple Kaspersky GUI
5)very quick at startup..starts as soon as the system is booted(no time lag) True
6)small update file sizes(only 10-15 mb per week) Same that Kaspersky, no more that 2mb at day

Disadvantage:

I add:
More False positives
No advanced cloud service
Very low detections rate

D

Deleted member 178

no advanced cloud service? what you mean by that?

Low detection rate? on all test i have done it perform quite well. check the malware hub on this forum. remember that most users encounter few 0-days in their daily surfing.

Many FPs? doesnt had so many, they were system files/ famous apps?

KLMALWAREHUNTER

Level 3
Oct 20, 2012
no advanced cloud service? what you mean by that?

That dont have a cloud system how KSN that can identified a unknow threat in 40 seconds.

That dont have a cloud system that can check if an archive is legit or is not.

That dont have a cloud system that whitelist an blacklist applications.

Low detection rate? on all test i have done it perform quite well. check the malware hub on this forum. remember that most users encounter few 0-days in their daily surfing.

Easy answer, check results in ALL test:

File detection test: http://www.av-comparatives.org/images/docs/avc_fdt_201209_en.pdf Check the position of ESET :)

Real world protection test: http://www.av-comparatives.org/images/docs/avc_prot_201210_en.pdf

Check the results of ESET and see of the Kaspersky :)

Proactive test: http://www.av-comparatives.org/images/docs/avc_beh_201207_en.pdf see ESET stats and Kaspesky stats :)

Phising test: http://www.av-comparatives.org/images/docs/avc_aph_201207_en.pdf See Kaspersky and ESET results :angel:

Malware removal test: http://www.av-comparatives.org/images/docs/avc_rem_201211_en.pdf :sleepy:

Another company of test:

ESET: http://www.av-test.org/no_cache/en/tests/test-reports/?tx_avtestreports_pi1[report_no]=121813

Kaspersky: http://www.av-test.org/no_cache/en/tests/test-reports/?tx_avtestreports_pi1[report_no]=121827

ESET Owned in tests by Kaspersky.

You now can say: "The best test is that you do" Well, this is the global results, obviously Kaspersky win ESET in all ways.

So Unknow see all this before change or decide about you future protection beacause that an AV is ligth is good, but remember that the best important is the protection.

Take care.

D

Deleted member 178

you rely on tests labs :lolz: i dont trust any of those so-called "independant" labs, dealing with vendors is business, business is money, security industry generate lot of money...people like us are not behind the veil. Lately a so called "test labs " graded KIS first of their test, when we digged a bit, the test labs was owned by a Kaspersky employee... if Kaspersky allows that , they can do everything else...

I prefer my own tests on my own systems, that is it, and ESET perform very well, yes a bit less that KIS or Emsisoft, but well enough for common users.

Anyway detection rate is a factor that will disappears since there is too much 0-days malwares a day for a signature based method to be truly efficient, prevention is the future, Norton and Comodo understood that long ago.

You and people like me, and this forum members, play with malwares that common users will never cross. No average users will ever cross 1000 of zero-days in 10mn or happy click in 100 malicious links.

The right question is not which AV wins in detection tests but which one will not hamper the user and its system.
Kaspersky is very good on poweful machines but many average machines i fixed for slowdown had KIS installed in common, once removed the machines get faster.

KLMALWAREHUNTER

Level 3
Oct 20, 2012
Umbra Corp. said:
I prefer my own tests on my own systems, that is it, and ESET perform very well, yes a bit less that KIS or Emsisoft, but well enough for common users.

The problem is that you test and all test of amateur users are very small, very small samples and dont represent de global risks.

The independents labs are not payed by any AV software. Its a myth that use the fanatic users of a AV that have bad results always on this tests [im dont refer to you].

And yes, we never say that Kaspersky is not a bit heavy on the system but is the best protection, for my team, and for a very lot of users in the world.

Take care.

D

Deleted member 178

Yes we have small samples but tests labs are just like us with more samples and more resources and a specific procedure, that is all. Test labs are not the truth about a product efficiency, they just give you a snapshot in a given time. The next day is another story.

ESET seems to be less good that it appears in their test, but when i used it, all submitted samples were added very quickly.
When i (and other members/friends) tried to install K-Pure/KIS, the database's download took ages to be installed, just that is enough to repel me from it, not saying its resources usage. I dont say it is bad just heavy and slow to me.

When you rate an security product, the lightness on system is , in my opinion, the most important, a sluggish system with super-protection will be unusable anyway.

KLMALWAREHUNTER

Level 3
Oct 20, 2012
And a system that have a ligth AV product neither can be used beacause all malwares that bypass the AV crash and slow the system.

Well, first that the AV test labs are not objective beacause the AV companies pay for results and now that is best a ligth product that offer low protection that another that with a little more of resources offer a lot...

So, you are exagerated with KIS and PURE dont use ultra resources only are a bit more heavy that eset...

The database only takes time the first time that you update the product, another updates take only 1 min.

I think that you must install again KIS in a VM and test that are not ultra heavy how you think :s

Take care.

KLMALWAREHUNTER

Level 3
Oct 20, 2012
:eek:fftopic:

DUxJc.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.