shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Hello from Elementary OS! I started to worry as I am becoming addicted to testing Linux distros. Anyway, I am enjoying Elementary OS the most. It is the more Windows-like distro. One drawback is the absence of "minimise button" in system apps. You need to right click the bar and then choose minimise. I think they are trying to force users to use their multitasking option. Firefox and Libreoffice are not installed by default and the Software store is different from Ubuntu's snap store and offers very limited apps. Anyway, it is very easy to install snap store and I did it needs a system restart to appear into your apps. I installed Firefox and Libreoffice from Ubuntu Archive Repository. Everything is working as intended.

View attachment 235051
Yes, distro-hopping can be addictive. Just wait till you try Manjaro...

Divine_Barakah

Level 29
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 10, 2019
Could you please try Intel's ClearLinux? I tried to install it, but I always have issues with my network adapter and GPU...

I install distros directly on my laptop without VM or anything but I will give it a try. Is it based on Ubuntu?

Edit

What about the new profile picture?

Divine_Barakah

Level 29
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 10, 2019
B

BVLon

From their website, it seems that it is not intended to be used at home by consumers (technical details). From a privacy perspective, I don't think it would be very friendly. Will give it a try this weekend.
I've read its performance is actually the best, when compared to all major distros. i don't think it will be very friendly either, but it's optimized for Intel platforms.

Divine_Barakah

Level 29
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 10, 2019
I've read its performance is actually the best, when compared to all major distros. i don't think it will be very friendly either, but it's optimized for Intel platforms.
Maybe because it is optimised by the manufacturers of the CPU itself huh? Will see about it. Currently I am going to try POPOS and Zorin OS

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
What's special about Manjaro? I guess it is geared towards geeks?
1 It is a rolling release which means you get up-to-date OS and programs without having to wait for the next release. They try to keep close to the bleeding edge, but not too close.
2 It is the only Arch-based distro that you can use successfully without being a total linux expert. Arch has a vast software base, and the best documentation.
3 It is very well maintained and has many desktop options. For instance, their version of Gnome looks much better than Ubuntu's, in my opinion.

These were the good points. there are also bad points. It's harder to use, and more likely to cause issues because of the constant updating.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
I forgot to point out that programmes installed via Snap Store will take more time to launch ( I guess it is related to virtualisation). This happened in Opera and Spotify. Installing Opera and Spotify from their main website is better (in my case) performance-wise
This is actually a problem with Ubuntu -- there are a lot of apps that you used to be able to install the regular way, and now they are offered in the software center only as snaps. For instance, the good old Chromium browser. This is one of the reasons why Canonical gets on people's nerves. They can get a little bit too dictatorial for the hard-core linux guy.

Divine_Barakah

Level 29
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 10, 2019
This is actually a problem with Ubuntu -- there are a lot of apps that you used to be able to install the regular way, and now they are offered in the software center only as snaps. For instance, the good old Chromium browser. This is one of the reasons why Canonical gets on people's nerves. They can get a little bit too dictatorial for the hard-core linux guy.
I still do not get what "Snaps" are. Anyway, I have installed Snap Store on Elementary OS and I try to install apps from other sources (Ubuntu Archive and Main Websites). I avoid Snap Store as possible (not sure why but mostly for the launch delay)

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Then I can safely say that power management on Windows is better than it is in Linux in general.
Maybe I didn't understand your question right -- when you say power consumption, you mean battery life on a laptop? If that is what you meant, I really don't know the answer to your question at all. I run Linux on a desktop, I never pay attention to how much electricity it is using. I was thinking more about RAM and CPU usage.

Divine_Barakah

Level 29
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 10, 2019
Maybe I didn't understand your question right -- when you say power consumption, you mean battery life on a laptop? If that is what you meant, I really don't know the answer to your question at all. I run Linux on a desktop, I never pay attention to how much electricity it is using.
Yes, I was referring to battery life. I was not clear enough in my post I am sorry. So far I have tried three distros: Ubuntu, Linux Mint and Elementary OS. Out of the three I find Linux Mint to consume less power than the other two.

ZeroDay

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2013
I still do not get what "Snaps" are. Anyway, I have installed Snap Store on Elementary OS and I try to install apps from other sources (Ubuntu Archive and Main Websites). I avoid Snap Store as possible (not sure why but mostly for the launch delay)
Snaps are just self contained apps, that because of their nature are easy to keep up to date across different distro's with different bases. They run in their own kind of sandbox.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.