Results are only viewable after voting.

Divine_Barakah

Level 29
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 10, 2019
Maybe there was something wrong because I installed Windows 10 with secure boot enabled just a week ago after creating bootable usb with this tool. Did many times before that also.
Anyway here's another simple yet effective tool:
Thank you @SeriousHoax for your help. I do appreciate it. Unfortunately, this is another tool which did not work with Secure Boot. I don't know if Microsoft is trying to push users from using such tools or maybe it is related to HP default Secure Boot keys?

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
Thank you @SeriousHoax for your help. I do appreciate it. Unfortunately, this is another tool which did not work with Secure Boot. I don't know if Microsoft is trying to push users from using such tools or maybe it is related to HP default Secure Boot keys?
Very strange :unsure: This one works for me too like the other tools. Maybe it's something related to your HP laptop. Anyway, if nothing works for you then just temporarily disable secure boot, install windows and after that re-enable again.

Divine_Barakah

Level 29
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 10, 2019
Very strange :unsure: This one works for me too like the other tools. Maybe it's something related to your HP laptop. Anyway, if nothing works for you then just temporarily disable secure boot, install windows and after that re-enable again.
I have tried Rufus, Microsoft's tool, Etcher, UUI and nothing worked. I am downloading Windows using Media Creation Tool. Microsoft won this time and I gave up lol

Divine_Barakah

Level 29
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 10, 2019
I have a question regarding programs updates and patches in Linux Mint (and Ubuntu-based distros). Now I am using Softmaker Office and there is a newer version. Why do I have to add Softmaker (as an example) Repository to be able to update. Why do not they issue a small patch like they do in Windows. Is it a limitation on Ubuntu? Does it aid in security? or is it developers being lazy?

F

ForgottenSeer 72227

I have a question regarding programs updates and patches in Linux Mint (and Ubuntu-based distros). Now I am using Softmaker Office and there is a newer version. Why do I have to add Softmaker (as an example) Repository to be able to update. Why do not they issue a small patch like they do in Windows. Is it a limitation on Ubuntu? Does it aid in security? or is it developers being lazy?

My understanding is that updates on Linux works a little different than Windows. On Windows....Windows update only covers MS updates only and maybe some hardware drivers, everything else is updated separately by itself. With Linux, everything gets updated through one channel. It would be similar if Windows Update controlled all updates, the OS itself, all drivers and all installed programs.

For Linux you may need to add the repository if it wasn't done when the application was installed. All that does it tell the distro update program to look and see if there is an update for that program. If there is, it will update it for you. I actually like this approach better as you are able to keep everything up to date without having to open each program one by one and check if there are updates. With Linux it monitors everything for you.

Fuzzy_Bunny

Level 4
Sep 19, 2019
How did you install softmaker? If is in ubuntu repo then 'apt update and apt upgrade' should update to new version IF ubuntu added new version in repo.

In linux you won't get new software same day or in same cases weeks. If you want new version right now then download .deb from offical site and update

Stopspying

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 21, 2018
I tend to think of Linux updating in a similar way that I do a phone, whether its Apple/Android/whatever - they have their app stores where you get most software if you are an everyday user, discounting hacks, jail-breaking etc. A superstore, if you like, that sells just about all product types. Windows is different, you get Microsoft product updates through the built in updating process, along with important driver updates etc, but many users download their software from multiple sources and need to update it all from multiple sources too. They get the main components from a supermarket but then need to get the other products, and spares, in many smaller stores.

Divine_Barakah

Level 29
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 10, 2019
My understanding is that updates on Linux works a little different than Windows. On Windows....Windows update only covers MS updates only and maybe some hardware drivers, everything else is updated separately by itself. With Linux, everything gets updated through one channel. It would be similar if Windows Update controlled all updates, the OS itself, all drivers and all installed programs.

For Linux you may need to add the repository if it wasn't done when the application was installed. All that does it tell the distro update program to look and see if there is an update for that program. If there is, it will update it for you. I actually like this approach better as you are able to keep everything up to date without having to open each program one by one and check if there are updates. With Linux it monitors everything for you.
Thank you Raiden for your reply. I know that Linux controls all the updates. BUt my question was that Softmaker Office installer is over 300 MBs and when a new version is released, Linux Mint updater download the whole installer (the new version). The whole installer is downloaded not a small patch as in Windows. Is this a requirement in Linux or developers being lazy.

Divine_Barakah

Level 29
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 10, 2019
How did you install softmaker? If is in ubuntu repo then 'apt update and apt upgrade' should update to new version IF ubuntu added new version in repo.

In linux you won't get new software same day or in same cases weeks. If you want new version right now then download .deb from offical site and update
Hello! I downloaded the installer from softmaker.com and then added softmaker repository.
sudo /usr/share/office2018/add_apt_repo.sh

Reactions: Protomartyr

Divine_Barakah

Level 29
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 10, 2019
F

ForgottenSeer 72227

Are you able to comment whether Ubuntu 19.09 has a system-wide Dark Mode for it's OS UI and Apps? Do you need to download additional software to enable? Is it easy to enable?

RE: Battle - Which OS has the better system-wide implementation for Dark Mode?
While I cannot confirm 100%, my answer would be yes. PopOS which is based off Ubuntu has a dark mode, which you just enable in the settings. Kubuntu even though KDE has a dark mode as well. I havent installed Ubuntu in a while, but I would hazard to guess that it has one as well. If not, it's pretty easy to install different themes, icons and such.

Installing different themes will depend on which desktop environment you are using. With Gnome (Ubuntu's default) it's a little more of a pain, but it's still fairly easy to do. You will have to install an app called Gnome tweaks, create 2 folders and download the themes you want from the Gnome theme site. What's cool about Gnome tweaks, is you can have different themes for different aspects of the OS. For example you can have 1 theme for the shell, a different theme or apps, and use a different theme for icons and mouse pointers. They all dont have to be the same theme.

If your using KDE, you can download new themes directly in the settings menu and turn them on. Like Gnome you can have different themes based on apps, shell, icons and such.

Last edited by a moderator:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.