Status
Not open for further replies.

RejZoR

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 26, 2016
PUP has always been disabled by default.

However, if you can recall the post-installation Wizard which allowed users to configure PUP and other settings - this was later removed. @RejZoR Which version was this?

Not sure. It wasn't that long ago. Reason behind removal was that it confused users way too much and they had no clue what the hell PUP even is even though there was even a video explaining it. So, they decided to just remove it entirely.

Reactions: Deleted member 2913

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Why still no virus definitions update? In the earlier version it was quite frequent.

The virus definitions version I'm having now is 170206-3

Reactions: Deleted member 2913
D

Deleted member 2913

It's an upsell feature for you to purchase Avast Premier.

The component is not installed. You can't use the Shredder or remove that icon from the GUI unless you purchase Premier and then remove it from custom install.

That option is not available in Internet Security to remove via custom install.
Thats why I said, why it is there?

If I wanted that feature, I would have bought Premier instead of IS...

If I have IS, would like to see only related & installed features...

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Like to report some problems with the just installed AIS 2017

1) The first time I need to click twice on the tray icon for it takes a long time to open Avast
2) Sometimes noted the mouse pointer disappeared when in all the screens
3) Full system scan showing 0% during first 10 minutes of scanning

Last edited:
Reactions: Andytay70

Lord Ami

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Sep 14, 2014
Why still no virus definitions update? In the earlier version it was quite frequent.

The virus definitions version I'm having now is 170206-3
I've come to a conclusion that this is completely irrelevant now. Streaming updates work fine and thus you're always protected.

Bear in mind that VPS updates contain engine improvements and other stuff too (now Behavior rules). So they do not release them as often as they used to (Streaming updates takes care of that as far as I am aware).

Oh and by the way, it's now 170208-0 :)

Andytay70

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 6, 2015
Just upgraded to latest version and now my laptop wont shut down? It reboots instead so i uninstalled it and the reboot error has stopped!

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
I've come to a conclusion that this is completely irrelevant now. Streaming updates work fine and thus you're always protected.

Bear in mind that VPS updates contain engine improvements and other stuff too (now Behavior rules). So they do not release them as often as they used to (Streaming updates takes care of that as far as I am aware).

Oh and by the way, it's now 170208-0 :)
You sure? What happens if you are offline with no definitions update? Frequent (hourly) definitions update (like BD free AV and EAM) are very important as you are getting the latest hour definitions before you are offline

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Anyone knows how to better set the Firewall and Sandbox properly for AIS 2017 apart from the default settings?

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
You sure? What happens if you are offline with no definitions update? Frequent (hourly) definitions update (like BD free AV and EAM) are very important as you are getting the latest hour definitions before you are offline
the one you see is the base signatures. Then, you will receive tiny updates, which are downloaded to be used offline so you are always protected

Reactions: HarborFront

Lord Ami

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Sep 14, 2014
I believe that's included in Streaming updates
upload_2017-2-8_17-18-56.png

For example, this is part of what I believe latest database changed/updated
upload_2017-2-8_17-20-21.png
Source: C:\ProgramData\AVAST Software\Persistent Data\Avast\Logs\Update.log

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
the one you see is the base signatures. Then, you will receive tiny updates, which are downloaded to be used offline so you are always protected
I remembered once I reported Avast AV Free definitions update failed for a few days with the last version. If this happens again how to tell whether there's any streaming updates or not? Then we are stuck with the last definition updates which would be a few days old.

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
open: "C:\Program Files\AVAST Software\Avast\defs"
you will see a folder "17020800_stream" or something like that
look at the modified date. Then you can tell if it receives streaming updates or not

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
open: "C:\Program Files\AVAST Software\Avast\defs"
you will see a folder "17020800_stream" or something like that
look at the modified date. Then you can tell if it receives streaming updates or not
Yup. You are right too. Thanks

Alikhan

Level 2
Verified
Oct 14, 2015
Just a note:

If you are receiving streaming updates, you have nothing to worry about. VPS updates are consolidated of streaming updates. VPS updates are also used for other means such as adding signatures for Software Updater.

Streaming updates usually occur every 3-15mins.

Last edited:

RejZoR

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 26, 2016

avast! is using 2 types of updates.

Streaming Updates
Streaming updates replace traditional updates known in other AV's and are delivered every 3-4 minutes to users. These are tiny and rapid updates released in tiny intervals which basically mimic cloud functionality while giving user nearly 100% offline protection.

VPS Updates
VPS updates, released twice a day, contain all the Streaming Updates released to that point + other scan engine components that are not updated via Streaming Updates.

This means, if you're online, you're getting full protection and when you go offline, you'll have full protection up to the point when you went offline.

What this means is that avast! turned old fashioned signature definitions into almost cloud like functionality. They are distributed super fast to users while keeping the offline benefits which are not found when using cloud.

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
avast! is using 2 types of updates.

Streaming Updates
Streaming updates replace traditional updates known in other AV's and are delivered every 3-4 minutes to users. These are tiny and rapid updates released in tiny intervals which basically mimic cloud functionality while giving user nearly 100% offline protection.

VPS Updates
VPS updates, released twice a day, contain all the Streaming Updates released to that point + other scan engine components that are not updated via Streaming Updates.

This means, if you're online, you're getting full protection and when you go offline, you'll have full protection up to the point when you went offline.

What this means is that avast! turned old fashioned signature definitions into almost cloud like functionality. They are distributed super fast to users while keeping the offline benefits which are not found when using cloud.
Hi

Thanks

Viking

Level 26
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 2, 2011
Like to report some problems with the just installed AIS 2017

3) Full system scan showing 0% during first 10 minutes of scanning

This has always been the case when I did full scans on 2 different desktops and 2 laptops even with the previous 2 versions of Avast free. Sometimes it showed 0% even when 15 minutes has elapsed.

Antimalware18

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Jan 17, 2014
Anyone else have missing blocked url popups?

Ever since the stable release I've had this issue (all other popups appear)

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.