Advice Request New Avast Version 21.1.2449 - CyberCapture off by default?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

DDE_Server

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 5, 2017
Yes, it forces Windows to resolve DNS by using Avast servers.

For advanced users like most of people on this forum, this feature it isnt that important because they know how to change DNS, to use DNSCrypt and so on, but for the average joe it is a nice security feature to avoid DNS spoofing and similar tactics.
yes especially if i am using another securing DNS such as Adgaurd which have all this option or just it is online DNS

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
I must say I'm pretty sold on this. Really no performance impact difference from any other low impact AV, and much more customizable in an intuitive way than WD, Bitdefender, or ESET. And their detection scores seem to be keeping on par with the other top suites. Might be a good new set and forget long term solution, but with the added ability to also customize as much or little as you want.

Nightwalker

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 26, 2014
I must say I'm pretty sold on this. Really no performance impact difference from any other low impact AV, and much more customizable in an intuitive way than WD, Bitdefender, or ESET. And their detection scores seem to be keeping on par with the other top suites. Might be a good new set and forget long term solution, but with the added ability to also customize as much or little as you want.
I can say that it is being my impression and overall experience as well, it seems to be a keeper and all thanks to @McMcbrad :LOL:

Nagisa

Level 7
Verified
Jul 19, 2018
On Avast' website it shows setting 'automatically quarantine detected threats' as to be the default. What actually comes as default is the other one. According to Mcmcbrad's explanation, it shouldn't be a problem but still I couldn't find any official and explicit information.

Screenshot_1.gif

Nightwalker

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 26, 2014
I would like to say that I am very impressed with the support of Avast / AVG; in less than 24 hours after I reported the bug of the settings resetting to the default state after a system reboot it was fixed.

I received a hotfix that requested a reboot of my system and to my surprise the bug was totally after that.

Bravo Avast staff, well done.

Ps: I guess @McMcbrad had already reported, so it wasn't 24 hours to fix, but it is impressive anyways.

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
Thank you for your reply.
So they are using their own signatures.
One more info. Avast and AVG used to be two different companies from the Czech Republic using their proprietary technology. But in 2016 Avast acquired AVG so all of AVG's technology has been incorporated into Avast and vice-versa. They are still sold as two different products but underneath they are the same thing. Their UI is a bit different and looks like most users here on MT prefer AVG's UI over Avast. But of course, it all comes down to personal preference.

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
This is one of the reasons, along with plenty of others, why I won't go anywhere near Avast. Caused no end of issues when I tried to uninstall despite using both the official tool and Rezjor's unofficial tool.
Supposedly it’s improved. Now with all AVs there is always a chance there will be issues. I uninstalled ESET tons of times with no issues, but some people have nightmare problems.

Digmor Crusher

Level 23
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 27, 2018
Well I decided to give Avast a try, and AVG too ,cause I'm bored. Actually I used Avast many years ago, was the first AV I used. Used Rollback RX Pro for this. My only comment is, wow, they sure try to upsell you a lot of useless crap, even did a custom install and they still try to get you. Now this isn't a comment on how effective it is, just on how they are the used car salesmen of AV's. AVG is just a clone of Avast, basically whats the point?? Now, my next experiment, Kaspersky free. :devilish:

Edit: Tried Kaspersky, Bitdefender, and Avira as well, all free versions, quick 10 minute test drives, the only one I might consider ever using is Kaspersky. For now Defender with Configure Defender is good enough.

Last edited:

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
Uninstalled AVG with my gaming rig. Leaving it on the laptop. The new AMD chipset drivers don’t seem to agree with it or something. Losing 8ish% performance in Time Spy CPU benchmark. That’s all that’s changed recently...saw some slightly lower performance in games and got curious. Who knows, maybe it’s something else I installed. But as soon as WD was back on all is back to normal.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.