Advice Request New Avast Version 21.1.2449 - CyberCapture off by default?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

fabiobr

Level 12
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 28, 2019
CyberCapture comes turned off by default when installing this new Avast version, is its default now? Or it's a bug?

And they changed a lot of things on the PUP tab.

Avast-New-PUPs-Tab.png

Cortex

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 4, 2016
Updated mine yesterday, I really, really used to dislike AVAST with a vengeance but following a test done McMcbrad I was intrigued, gave it & AVG a try & AVAST to me ticks all the boxes & is so light on both PC's it's on - I was a Kaspersky user bur prefer AVAST now, I got licences for a pittance :):)

Nightwalker

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 26, 2014
This version seems to be very light, it is comparable to ESET in my machine, cant even tell that is running now.

The free edition seems to be more than enough, it doesnt seem to lack any core protection compared to the paid version, anyway so far so good.

BigWrench

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 13, 2014
The million dollar question: how cleanly does it uninstall?

Greetings all.... I uninstalled it from an older laptop Saturday, with Revo, let the built in uninstaller run, very very slow. When all was finished, a clean uninstall. Good job Avast!
P.S. I agree, was extremely lite on resources! Quite impressed with Avast in the past couple of versions 👍

LahiruRajinda

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Jul 6, 2015
I don't know regarding the ads, as I am using AVG Ultimate bundle. Regarding telemetry, you can switch it off entirely.
you think you have turned it off, but I can prove that it is still calling home. Following is my DNS log from NextDNS with Energized Ultimate blocking them like crazy.

1613397435141.png

BTW, I have whitelisted su.ff.avast.com as it turns out to be related to Streaming updates.

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
you think you have turned it off, but I can prove that it is still calling home. Following is my DNS log from NextDNS with Energized Ultimate blocking them like crazy.

View attachment 254149
Unless you see what data is being sent that isn’t entirely proof, it could be saying “nothing to report” for all we know. It also doesn’t support that they aren’t collecting data either.

Nagisa

Level 7
Verified
Jul 19, 2018
IDP is overly aggressive to the unknown files I think. I have seen several generic.IDP detections are made on safe files. On my computer it happened with Serpent browser(unofficial Basilisk fork) and Goanna based K-Meleon browser(unofficial fork as well). On other computers it happened with a Zoom based webinar client (made by gov) and Nvidia Web Helper service. It literally detects everything lmao.

Nightwalker

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 26, 2014
The best part of the "Jumpshot" scandal is that we now know that Avast does indeed respect the privacy settings according to what the user has decided in the software, as well as doing everything possible to avoid situations not covered by the EULA and the privacy policy.

The irony of all this is that Avast products are probably the ones that will most respect the user's privacy, after all the company's future depends on it (publicly traded), while we don't know how most antiviruses actually deal with these issues.

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
The best part of the "Jumpshot" scandal is that we now know that Avast does indeed respect the privacy settings according to what the user has decided in the software, as well as doing everything possible to avoid situations not covered by the EULA and the privacy policy.

The irony of all this is that Avast products are probably the ones that will most respect the user's privacy, after all the company's future depends on it (publicly traded), while we don't know how most antiviruses actually deal with these issues.
I tend to agree. It seems kind of crazy how people have decided certain products are more privacy friendly when the reality is we don’t know. The only company that has been vocal and attempted to be transparent is Emsisoft. Otherwise, it’s all guess work and Avast/AVG is under a microscope, and though they didn’t make it obvious they did quietly disclose what they were doing. I would put money in other companies doing this without anything being disclosed.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.