Status
Not open for further replies.

Garak1138

Level 1
Verified
Jun 26, 2014
New update is out:

• Added option "Start up in incognito mode" in settings->privacy
  • Added menu item "Close all tabs from this domain" to tab context menu.
  • Added "Delete" to context menu of matched forms in the suggestion list of omnibox to quickly delete a form file.
  • Improved QuickFill form filler to work with more web sites.
  • Added "check all" button to select all matched items when searching history.
  • Added support for tiling tabs in metro mode.
All in all very good browser, updates frequently and has some interesting features that in my opinion are missing in Chrome.

Garak1138

Level 1
Verified
Jun 26, 2014
fenson, thank you for the news about the update! If they continue to develop SlimJet this quickly it will soon become major player in browser market!

Reactions: Littlebits

Koroke San

Level 29
Verified
Jan 22, 2014
Stupid browser, was using too much cpu & ram specially when i was watching online videos,even it was in default settings & without any addons.

Koroke San

Level 29
Verified
Jan 22, 2014
If you have enough RAM it shouldn't really matter.
really? why u think i should let it eat nuff RAM? many peoples do multitasking like me when they surf so too much ram consumption is serious problem. plus memory consumption means not only RAM,CPU too. today palemoon was eating 2 GB of RAM. now it's normal.

Garak1138

Level 1
Verified
Jun 26, 2014
I have 10 open tabs and playing a youtube video and my RAM consumption is 133 MB, and CPU consumption is <2%, so I really don't know why it is huge hog in your system!

Oxygen

Level 44
Verified
Feb 23, 2014
really? why u think i should let it eat nuff RAM? many peoples do multitasking like me when they surf so too much ram consumption is serious problem. plus memory consumption means not only RAM,CPU too. today palemoon was eating 2 GB of RAM. now it's normal.

I don't know why it takes alot of ram on your system

Reactions: Kent

Oxygen

Level 44
Verified
Feb 23, 2014
lol i don't know too. if u find a light browser for me, it will help a lot :)
Try Midori

StJw46i.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Malware1

Garak1138

Level 1
Verified
Jun 26, 2014
New version is out:

• Update language files
  • Improved QuickFill form filler compatibility
  • Added tab context menu "Convert to App Window"

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
Is SlimJet still in Beta release? I can not find any info.
Most download sites have been listing it as a final release ever since it first came out.
Nothing on their website or forums indicating if it is still a beta or final.

Enjoy!! :D

Garak1138

Level 1
Verified
Jun 26, 2014
@Moose: Yeah, they are really lazy regarding answering questions and suggestions on their forum. The only time I got response was when they answered in my thread that the bug that I found was fixed.

Anyway, it is still very good browser with new version out:

• Update language files.
  • Added support for pepper flash.
I'm using this browser as my main browser now.

PS
Does anyone knows what pepper flash is?

Last edited:
Reactions: Moose

elizabethking0

Nov 2, 2013
Pepper flash is the flash player wrapped in Chrome's PPAPI interface. Here is more information about PPAPI:

PPAPI[edit]
On 12 August 2009 a page on Google Code introduced a new project, Pepper with associated Pepper Plugin API (PPAPI),[25] "a set of modifications to NPAPI to make plugins more portable and more secure".[26] This extension is designed specifically to ease the implementation of out-of-process plugin execution. Further, the goals of the project are to provide a framework for making plugins fully cross-platform. Topics considered include:

• Uniform semantics for NPAPI across browsers.
  • Execution in a separate process from the renderer/browser itself.
  • Standardize rendering using the browser's compositing process.
  • Defining standardized events, and 2D rasterization functions.
  • Initial attempt at providing 3D graphics access.
  • Plugin registry.
The flash that you downloaded from Adobe uses NPAPI.

elizabethking0

Nov 2, 2013
If you select Help->Online feedback, you can send them a question directly. I usually get quick responses from them this way. Not every time, though. Well, you can't expect too much from support of a free software.

It looks like their forum is more intended for users discussion and helping each other.

Also, on their forum they never answer any questions!:mad:

elizabethking0

Nov 2, 2013
I think they took off the beta label since 1.0.14? I am not sure exactly when. But the beta label is now gone from their official website.

Is SlimJet still in Beta release? I can not find any info.
Most download sites have been listing it as a final release ever since it first came out.
Nothing on their website or forums indicating if it is still a beta or final.

Enjoy!! :D

elizabethking0

Nov 2, 2013
10 tabs and only 133MB? That's probably not true. You have to add up the memory used by all the slimjet.exe process in task manager.

The memory issue all goes back to the multi-process architecture used by Chrome. Chrome will spawn a new process every time you open a new tab. That makes your memory footprint a little bit larger at the beginning. However, the advantage of multi-process architecture is that when you close tab, the memory associated with that tab is released 100%. So you have less problem of memory leakage building up over the time. Both IE and Chrome have adopted the multi-process architecture. The only exception is firefox. Mozilla wanted to but they have too much legacy to carry around and it would break so many firefox extensions. If you use firefox for a long time without closing it, you will get a huge process using 1G or 2G memory.

With all that explained, the best way to save memory is install a good adblocker. That will get rid of all the useless scripts, flash and gifs. That can save a lot of memory. Slimjet has provided a shortcut to install ad blocker under the menu Tools->install ad blocker. It leads to the adblock plus extension directly. That can usually cut your memory by half for a busy site with a lot of ads.

I have 10 open tabs and playing a youtube video and my RAM consumption is 133 MB, and CPU consumption is <2%, so I really don't know why it is huge hog in your system!

Reactions: Jack
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.