Advice Request NextDNS thoughts and experiences?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

valvaris

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Jul 26, 2015
I compare default NextDNS with Kees' TOP_EU_US_Ads_Trackers_HOST and the result is:
1340 / 4372 entries are missed at NextDNS side.

So i hope NextDNS add this list. You can take a message/ vote if you agree: https://github.com/Kees1958/W3C_annual_most_used_survey_blocklist · Issue #128 · nextdns/metadata
Hello @security123

another open list? Sry why I ask is that there are commercial lists that could be affordable for NextDNS to use.

and again another "Why" I discovered a trend that ppl abandon gits after a few months or max 2 years coz interests change or are no longer involved with that scenario.

I understand that not everyone needs to buy a "pro" subscription but I just find it fair not only to invest in nicer Helpdesk-systems but even use Commercial Blocklists that come from IT-Security experts that can build up trust / reliability.

Example - Malware Patrol / Symantec Ad - Tracker blocker / Spamhaus DNSBL List just to name a few... I know I did not mention trackers coz to effectively block em - There is still a extension involved like UBlock Origin to kill of scripts. (Advanced Mode FTW) :)

I am just afraid that NextDNS turns out to be like "pfblockerNG". That thing is super complex and hard to maintain if multiple lists block of a legit Domain that is in use.

The other part but that is just my personal Preference and under active testing: Offloading Commercial Lists to a FW appliance

Going off-topic here :D

Sincerely
Val.

valvaris

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Jul 26, 2015
As I understand it, "bootstrapAddress" is the initial DNS server to which the request goes to get the IP of the DNS server with DOH support, so I left here Cloudflare IP to connect to NextDNS as quickly as possible.

How is this possible? I thought that DOH is encrypted using public and private keys and mitm attacks with it are almost impossible.

It seems to me that you are writing about a classic VPN application, but I do not use a VPN at the operating system level, as this slows down a lot of my network applications due to poor Internet and unstable ping, at least for Windcribe servers, so I prefer the extension in the browser. All browser extensions are always just a proxy server. usually such extensions change DNS to their own to improve masking and protect against leaks, but i try to force not alow to do this through the Firefox settings and continue using NextDNS, sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't, why sometimes it doesn't i can't understand.

Thanks for your reply! :)
Hello @Trismer

Yap the Bootstrap should still go to NextDNS not Cloudflare for the initial connection :)

Now to the tricky bit I admit with the extension bit that Browser Extensions use Proxy to forward traffic. Now to more tricky bit - If you have Leak issues on Windows try this out plz -> Guide: Prevent DNS leakage while using a VPN on Windows 10 (and Windows 8) - Neowin

This comes from an article at Checkpoint-Checkmates -> DNS Security - Check Point CheckMates <- I know it refers to Cloudflare but just to understand why leaking is bad. :D (For sure you already know)

Now to break down extensions - I do not know how Firefox Extensions function but if it is any similar to Chrome/Chromium you can look at the code inside.

As an example I use Edge Chromium:

What you need:
- Extension ID (Tip use Developer Mode)
- Export Extension to File

What you can do with it:
- View Code inside

I did that for the SandBlast Checkpoint extension to troubleshoot URL-Filtering and Cloud-connectivity - As for the Windscribe extension you can view if there is a setting that commits the changes every now and then.

For Windscribe the AppID on the ChromeStore is: hnmpcagpplmpfojmgmnngilcnanddlhb

Export it to file and then you can see what it does and how it does it. :)

In terms of logic - Proxy Settings overrule local settings
But there is a Proxy Bypass mode too...
I just know this form a System Local or Edge Chromium use case "not Firefox"! The reason is simple I do not use it even in professional Administration. (Personal Preference)
-> Setting a proxy for Windows using the command-line - AndyK Docs <- This works with the Legacy Internet Explorer / Windows Services / Edge Chromium --- Untested with Firefox

In terms of DNS over HTTPs it depends who the requester is on how the request is made even a uplink server can make a DoH request for you. But still you are right if your Browser does a DoH request for a Domain to NextDNS this should be encrypted. (View Logs if so from your Client)

In my use case I use a DoH client at the Router level that listens at Port 53 and forwards those to NextDNS with the NextDNS DoH Client installed and my ID. So my clients only know of a local DNS server never the public one - plus a DNAT rule that forwards all rogue DNS query's that are not my Routers IP - to that IP and presto everything has to go thru. Of course I still need to block DoH/DoT services there is a good list out there:

dns.google
dns.quad9.net, dns9.quad9.net, dns10.quad9.net, dns11.quad9.net
dns.cloudflare.com
doh.dns.sb
dns.nextdns.io
dns.cleanbrowsing.org
doh.securedns.eu

Source -> DNS over HTTPS (DoH) for web security (sophos.com)

But the principals still remain. :)

Best regards
Val.

F

ForgottenSeer 85179

Hello @security123

another open list? Sry why I ask is that there are commercial lists that could be affordable for NextDNS to use.

and again another "Why" I discovered a trend that ppl abandon gits after a few months or max 2 years coz interests change or are no longer involved with that scenario.

I understand that not everyone needs to buy a "pro" subscription but I just find it fair not only to invest in nicer Helpdesk-systems but even use Commercial Blocklists that come from IT-Security experts that can build up trust / reliability.

Example - Malware Patrol / Symantec Ad - Tracker blocker / Spamhaus DNSBL List just to name a few... I know I did not mention trackers coz to effectively block em - There is still a extension involved like UBlock Origin to kill of scripts. (Advanced Mode FTW) :)

I am just afraid that NextDNS turns out to be like "pfblockerNG". That thing is super complex and hard to maintain if multiple lists block of a legit Domain that is in use.

The other part but that is just my personal Preference and under active testing: Offloading Commercial Lists to a FW appliance

Going off-topic here :D

Sincerely
Val.
"Kees" work in marketing branch so he know about the domains.
It's not another fan project like many others.

I recommend reading his repository. He was also a MT member in the past.

I also don't understand what you mean with "open list"

valvaris

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Jul 26, 2015
"Kees" work in marketing branch so he know about the domains.
It's not another fan project like many others.

I recommend reading his repository. He was also a MT member in the past.

I also don't understand what you mean with "open list"
Sry about that did not mean any disrespect @security123 my bad I saw git automatically (-) mode

Sincerely
Val.

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Those who want to use YogaDNS. It doesn't support DoT

1610101278827.png

So it means you cannot use the NextDNS DoT say in your Adguard for desktop with YogaDNS.

According to the below articles DoT is safer than DoH even though both are designed to protect the DNS queries but at different levels.

Last edited:

Jan Willy

Level 12
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 5, 2019
I just tested NextDNS DoT vs Adguard for desktop DoT and found that the latter is slightly faster. Also, NextDNS cannot open the below site for cats and when I went to a forum it cannot display the attached cat images from below. No issue with Adguard DoT

Quick test on Android. No problem to open that site in NextDNS. I only use Steven Blacks filterlist.

JasonUK

Level 5
Apr 14, 2020
I have been using a combination of NextDNS (using YogaDNS client) and the AdGuard AdBlocker extension but found opening multiple webpages lagged quite badly and using NextDNS/AdGuardDNS filters on NextDNS had the disadvantage that filters could not be quickly disabled if a known (safe) site failed to load.

Instead I've reverted to AdGuard desktop with AdGuardDNS & other mainly AdGuard filterlists using the Quad9 DNS service. For my location this seems to run a little faster. Quad9 handles the malware/phishing side of things and the AdGuard filters cover the ads/tracking/privacy etc. If a known (safe) site hits a snag you can just disable AdGuard protection for that site for 30seconds which is far less hassle.

JasonUK

Level 5
Apr 14, 2020
Latest version of NextDNS setup (v2.0.1) software from NextDNS website flagged by 10 providers on Virustotal

Alibaba - Trojan:Win32/Masslogger.2a2aafe2
Avast - Win32:Malware-gen
AVG - Win32:Malware-gen
Cyren - W32/Trojan.BPLC-4165
Fortinet - PossibleThreat
Ikarus - Trojan.MSIL.Masslogger
McAfee - Artemis!B25F1E4EFFDC
McAfee-GW-Edition - RDN/Generic.dx
Palo Alto Networks - Generic.ml
Sangfor Engine Zero - Malware

Doesn't inspire confidence..

Jan Willy

Level 12
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 5, 2019
Latest version of NextDNS setup (v2.0.1) software from NextDNS website flagged by 10 providers on Virustotal

That app is not needed. I've ever used it many months ago. I uninstalled it because of daily errors in Windows Event Viewer. Happily there are alternatives.

JasonUK

Level 5
Apr 14, 2020
That app is not needed. I've ever used it many months ago. I uninstalled it because of daily errors in Windows Event Viewer. Happily there are alternatives.

I haven't used it either, I've been using YogaDNS. It doesn't however inspire confidence that a service which claims to filter security threats are themselves offering a product which some anti-virus software are reporting as malware.

Nightwalker

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 26, 2014

What really doesnt inspire confidence is those antiviruses reporting an obvious false positive, this is clearly showing that most security vendors cant keep with the malware volume without resorting to subpar generic methods and copycat signatures.

When Kaspersky, ESET and Microsoft simultaneous detect this installer as a malware then I will take notice.

JasonUK

Level 5
Apr 14, 2020
What really doesnt inspire confidence is those antiviruses reporting an obvious false positive...
I didn't know whether it's a false positive or not but I did upload it to Avast as a potential FP on one of my old laptops yesterday and the installer is no longer deleted by Avast when you download or scan it (but on Virustotal Avast still flag it). So Avast at least are quick to update/correct FPs.

valvaris

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Jul 26, 2015
Offf... checked - Download with Sandblast Adv. (Checkpoint Enterprise) Threat Emulation - Got flagged as malicious in Sandbox Emulation - This happens if something suspicious is happening in the Virtual Machine of Checkpoint.
1610192607202.png

On my Infinity Portal Log it shows as - Bot and Trojan coz of Port scanning and File Reputation
1610193194265.png

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.