Advice Request NextDNS thoughts and experiences?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Brahman

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 22, 2013
A technical doubt. Analytics says I've use 26.380 DNS queries, but my account summary says 13.717 queries. Why such a huge difference?
its because of this...
Untitled-1.jpg

mlnevese

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 3, 2015
I'm now using it with Kaspersky's extension to get rid of the annoying in-page ads. Now the promoted posts from Reddit are gone :)

The only disadvantage I see with NextDNS when compared to Adguard is the fact it can't filter adds that are part of the page's HTML.

Adguard also has a great advantage in Android as i can control every single App access to ads.

Right now i' considering using NextDNS+extension on computers and keeping Adguard on Android

F

ForgottenSeer 78429

I'm now using it with Kaspersky's extension to get rid of the annoying in-page ads. Now the promoted posts from Reddit are gone :)

The only disadvantage I see with NextDNS when compared to Adguard is the fact it can't filter adds that are part of the page's HTML.

Adguard also has a great advantage in Android as i can control every single App access to ads.

Right now i' considering using NextDNS+extension on computers and keeping Adguard on Android
You can use NextDNS in Adguard App also. Select custom DNS server and add your DoT or DoH of NextDNS. That's how I am using AdGuard on Android.

valvaris

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Jul 26, 2015
I'm trying to avoid the conflict of two applications filtering HTTPS pages. And the Kaspersky plugin is there anyway so, why not? :)
NextDNS as the Name suggests goes thru you DNS resolution not HTTPs Traffic. In short it looks at what url you visit before awnsering to the requester what site it is. :D Like "Jan Willy" mentioned it does not decrypt because it does not need to.

Adguard and Co. need to decrypt in a way to look inside the traffic to filter out contents from it. That is what a DNS resolver can NOT do. ;)

That is for example I use Ublock Origin in advanced mode - Adguard Desktop edition does a OS wide filteration and can sometimes but very very rare break applications. (Depends on Settings)

Best regards
Val.

Jan Willy

Level 12
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 5, 2019
Not by default but it has a similar feature which display a blocking site on HTTPS site but this need their cert.
Technical this is some kind of HTTPS MitM.
Yeah, you're right. But the goal is not to scan the content of the HTTPS site. The optional setting only removes the HTTPS warning when loading the block page. See How to install and trust NextDNS Root CA

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.