Advice Request NextDNS thoughts and experiences?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
How achievable is 300,000 queries per month?

Are NextDNS users notified once they reach or surpass the free limits?

NextDNS can be used for free up to 300k queries per month. Once this limit is reached, it becomes a standard DNS resolver, with no filtering, no logging etc.
-https://help.nextdns.io/en/articles/3962038-what-happens-after-300k-queries

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
I'm using it since it was in beta so more than a year now. Fantastic alternative to something like PiHole. 300,000 DNS queries is plenty for a single user I would say. But I mainly set it up for my family members so it's the DNS on my router. In total 7 smartphone users use it on my home and I never ran out of 300,000 DNS queries. The usage has increased a lot due to the Covid-19 pandemic but still its below 300,000 DNS for me so far. I don't personally use it on my PC because if I do so then the combined usage would cross the 300,000 queries mark and I get better ping on my location with Cloudflare so I use that.
But NextDNS is amazing. The amount of features, control it has even for free users is unbelievable.

Arequire

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Feb 10, 2017
How does this compare to Adguard DNS?
You can add AdGuard's DNS filter list to your NextDNS configuration, so it makes using AdGuard DNS rather pointless unless NextDNS performs poorly for you or you exceed the 300k query limit and don't wish to pay for unlimited queries.

How good are ad-blocking capabilities of NextDNS?
Depends on the filter lists you choose to add to it. There's 77 separate lists to to choose from, plus optional blocking of OS level tracking and CNAME blocking.

Last edited:

nishaddesilva

Level 3
Aug 26, 2012
You can add AdGuard's DNS filter list to your NextDNS configuration, so it makes using AdGuard DNS rather pointless unless NextDNS performs poorly for you.

Depends on the filter lists you choose to add to it. There's a large selection to choose from.
My ISP automatically changes my IP frequently. So will I be able to use the DNS servers they provide configured on Windows settings without any issues?

cliffspab

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Oct 4, 2019
I'm impressed with the service.

300k queries is more than enough for me even though I'm working from home now.

The dashboard, analytics and custom lists make it a step up from any other DNS provider I've tried.

Paired with AdGuard desktop for the cosmetic side of things, I don't think I'll ever see an ad again.

Jan Willy

Level 12
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 5, 2019
In the meantime I also use NextDNS side by side with AdGuard for Windows (desktop). NextDNS works flawless but generates many entries in Windows 10 Event Viewer. It's not a serious problem but it pollutes the Event Viewer.
1591190050646.png

RejZoR

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 26, 2016
How achievable is 300,000 queries per month?

Are NextDNS users notified once they reach or surpass the free limits?

I've been using NextDNS since rather early beta and apart from few tiny hiccups, it has been working great. There is an e-mail notification when you reach 250.000 queries. Some user confirmed it on NextDNS subreddit.

I have to wait for another month to see. They launched the service already into May 2020 and I'm not sure if they counted queries before that for month May. I did get through it with small reserve.

As for the service, I love it. I mostly use it because of filtering capabilities on all my devices. The amount of crap this service blocks while not really interfering with the use of internet is huge. So much stuff unnecessarily being sent around. No more.

cliffspab

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Oct 4, 2019
In the meantime I also use NextDNS side by side with AdGuard for Windows (desktop). NextDNS works flawless but generates many entries in Windows 10 Event Viewer. It's not a serious problem but it pollutes the Event Viewer.
View attachment 241958

I had the same problem - thousands of errors in Event Viewer.

You can fix the issue by running NextDNS DOH system-wide using YogaDNS Instead of the official client.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.