Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 26, 2014
Update 2019-01-01

Realtime Protection:
ESET Internet Security 12 + NoVirusThanks OSArmor + NovirusThanks SysHardener + Windscribe Pro VPN

Browser + Extensions:
Google Chrome + Nano Adblocker/Nano Defender (Medium Mode) + Privacy Badger + LastPass + Decentraleyes

DNS:
Cloudflare

Last edited:

Malware Person

Level 4
Verified
Jun 8, 2016
I would add https everywhere, ublock origin (just personal preference) and turn on UAC (very important). Also, are you not using an antivirus? I don't see any listed in your post. I would mark this "caution" because you need to get one. At the bare minimum, use windows defender. I'd recommend using Avast free if you aren't willing to pay for an antivirus, though I strongly recommend that you do.

Thanks for sharing.

Nightwalker

Level 24
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 26, 2014
I would add https everywhere, ublock origin (just personal preference) and turn on UAC (very important). Also, are you not using an antivirus? I don't see any listed in your post. I would mark this "caution" because you need to get one. At the bare minimum, use windows defender. I'd recommend using Avast free if you aren't willing to pay for an antivirus, though I strongly recommend that you do.

Thanks for sharing.

Thanks for your suggestion, but with "Cruel Comodo" it isnt necessary to use UAC and there is no need to use a antivirus in real time too.
I use AdGuard for Windows that does more for me than uBlock Origin, but it is really a good extension.

More info here:

Video Review - Comodo Firewall 10 Setup

I was testing Windows Defender and sometimes Emsisoft AntiMalware with this setup, but I dont feel the need to use a real time antivirus anymore, it is nice to have protection without HDD performance hit.

Ps: Comodo Firewall still performs FLS (File lookup service) scan on unknown files execution, while the detection isnt that great it is enough considering the auto-sandbox and VirusTotal Uploader.

Last edited:

Nightwalker

Level 24
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 26, 2014
Balancing of lightness and efficient defense. Great with refined settings!
This simple configuration is ideal for me who lacks knowledge and tends to put extra software in it.

Thanks for sharing! I learned a lot.

Thanks for you reply! It is a very ease to use setup and light, just change AdGuard for uBlock Origin and it will be totally free too.

Some time ago I used to think that Comodo would auto sandbox everything and would interfere with my games and some specialized tools, but no, it is actually very quiet and non intrusive.

I will miss Emsisoft Anti-Malware (long time user), but it isnt necessary with this setup ...

Nightwalker

Level 24
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 26, 2014
You'll get the caution badge because of the UAC. But its more than secure for the highly experienced user like yourself :)

Temporally (probably will change soon) tagged as Caution due to UAC disabled, apart from that, Secure config, thanks for sharing :)

Thanks for your reply guys. UAC with Cruel Comodo isnt necessary and CruelSister videos more than prove that ( I did some tests too).
UAC on Windows 10 doesnt disable entirely, it still have some protections going on ...

More info here:
Video Review - Comodo Firewall Setup- An Addendum

Nightwalker

Level 24
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 26, 2014
Update 2018-08-28

Removed: AdGuard for Windows and Comodo Firewall
Added: Malwarebytes 3 Premium + NoVirus Thanks OSArmor + NoVirus Thanks SysHarderner + Nano Adblocker (medium mode) and Nano Defender extensions.

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
Update 2018-08-28

Removed: AdGuard for Windows and Comodo Firewall
Added: Malwarebytes 3 Premium + NoVirus Thanks OSArmor + NoVirus Thanks SysHarderner + Nano Adblocker (medium mode) and Nano Defender extensions.

Nice. Nano Adblocker reigns!(y) Maybe some overkill with MBAM, OSA & SysHardener? :unsure: Let us know how that works out.

Reactions: Nightwalker

Nightwalker

Level 24
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 26, 2014
Nice. Nano Adblocker reigns!(y) Maybe some overkill with MBAM, OSA & SysHardener? :unsure: Let us know how that works out.

The anti exploit component of MBAM can overlap a little with OSA post-exploitation payload blocking, but as far as I can tell there is no conflict whatsoever between those two.

SysHarderner is more about tweaks and harderning of the OS, so no conflicts or system impact; personally I dont see the reason to NOT install and use SysHarderner in a domestic environment, it makes Windows much safer removing unnecessary holes and design flaws that may have some enterprise usage.

Without Windows Defender this combo is actually lighter in my machine than ESET Internet Security 11 or Comodo Firewall, who are very light security solutions themselves.

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
The anti exploit component of MBAM can overlap a little with OSA post-exploitation payload blocking, but as far as I can tell there is no conflict whatsoever between those two.

SysHarderner is more about tweaks and harderning of the OS, so no conflicts or system impact; personally I dont see the reason to NOT install and use SysHarderner in a domestic environment, it makes Windows much safer removing unnecessary holes and design flaws that may have some enterprise usage.

Without Windows Defender this combo is actually lighter in my machine than ESET Internet Security 11 or Comodo Firewall, who are very light security solutions themselves.

Excellent! I'm currently using Hard_Configurator and would like to add SH for additional tweaking, especially if I remove TinyWall, but not until I have more experience with H_C to avoid potential conflicts. I like your setup, but did you remove/disable WD because I see it listed in your config.? If so, it must be light. (y)

Reactions: Nightwalker

Nightwalker

Level 24
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 26, 2014
Excellent! I'm currently using Hard_Configurator and would like to add SH for additional tweaking, especially if I remove TinyWall, but not until I have more experience with H_C to avoid potential conflicts. I like your setup, but did you remove/disable WD because I see it listed in your config.? If so, it must be light. (y)

I am still running Windows Defender, but may be disabled in the future; I dont think it is necessary considering my habits.

Very strong setup IMO.

Reactions: oldschool

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.