NOD32 Antivirus / ESET Internet Security / Eset Smart Security Premium 15.0.16.0

CyberDevil

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Apr 4, 2021
Can't wait to test everything tonight! (in the meantime, I discover)
Came here to see if your test has already come out, very interesting to see the result, since no alternative tests have yet come out. :) By the way, why do testers hardly ever use Eset Online Scanner? Isn't it preferable to the practically dead company Zemana?

It's a great feature but as I wrote in the ESET forum, it submits too much to LiveGuard.
Strangely, I even had my doubts whether this feature is working for me. Eset still has not shown any message about downloading files to LiveGuard, although I have quite a lot of different software and utilities, including those without digital signatures. :rolleyes:

-------

I understand everyone's frustration that LiveGuard is only available on ESSP, but its availability on even a limited number of clients should increase the signature detection rate for everyone else. If believe SeriousHoax's post that Eset checks too many files in the cloud, maybe that is the reason for the limited implementation of this technology, only for some users, maybe in a year, when the cloud has a large white list, they will expand support, although I am not sure.

Shadowra

Level 33
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Tester
Well-known
Sep 2, 2021
Came here to see if your test has already come out, very interesting to see the result, since no alternative tests have yet come out. :) By the way, why do testers hardly ever use Eset Online Scanner? Isn't it preferable to the practically dead company Zemana?

No idea, just that Zemana is ultra fast to scan.
I will integrate Eset Online Scan soon.

And the test, it will be out tonight :D (Paris time)

Andrew3000

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Feb 8, 2016

Strangely, I even had my doubts whether this feature is working for me. Eset still has not shown any message about downloading files to LiveGuard, although I have quite a lot of different software and utilities, including those without digital signatures. :rolleyes:

-------

I understand everyone's frustration that LiveGuard is only available on ESSP, but its availability on even a limited number of clients should increase the signature detection rate for everyone else. If believe SeriousHoax's post that Eset checks too many files in the cloud, maybe that is the reason for the limited implementation of this technology, only for some users, maybe in a year, when the cloud has a large white list, they will expand support, although I am not sure.
Try this: Test ESET Dynamic Threat Defense functionality | ESET Dynamic Threat Defense | ESET Online Help

Last edited:

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
I also had problem with it on my device. It worked fine on a VM but not on my main system. Check test Number "V" from here. They messed up the Windows and Linux link here. So the Linux file is actually for Windows and vice versa. If it doesn't work then provide Marcos with your log on the ESET forum.

CyberDevil

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Apr 4, 2021
I also had problem with it on my device.
Interestingly, I made an exception for the folder where I downloaded the archive from your link, then unzipped the archive, made the file a new timestamp with the command from the instruction, and then copied the file to several directories on the system drive. No reaction, except for eicar signature detection if the file is run. I also look at the logs and see that LiveGuard only triggered me on a few Brave temporary files in all the time.

Screenshot 2021-10-20 203102.png

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
Interestingly, I made an exception for the folder where I downloaded the archive from your link, then unzipped the archive, made the file a new timestamp with the command from the instruction, and then copied the file to several directories on the system drive. No reaction, except for eicar signature detection if the file is run. I also look at the logs and see that LiveGuard only triggered me on a few Brave temporary files in all the time.

View attachment 261387
Really weird behavior on sending this browser cache.
The first test on the link is absurd. Avoid that. Try number "V. Test proactive protection" like I said in my previous comment and see what happens.

Reactions: Nevi and JB007

Andrew3000

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Feb 8, 2016

View attachment 261387
Have you always kept eset's real-time protection on?

Reactions: JB007

carl fish

Level 7
Verified
Mar 6, 2012
I have asked Eset's support about Live Guard not being in internet security, this is their response

Is Eset's cloud sandbox analysis in your home products, I did read somewhere that's in Eset smart security Premium but it's not in your internet security product?
Hello Carl,

It is recently added. kindly refer to the features for v15.x release of our home products.

And you can get more info about LiveGuard here LiveGuard | ESET Smart Security Premium | ESET Online Help

Why is this feature only in Eset smart security and not internet security?

Thanks for the update, it is an add-on for the Premium product. ESET Internet Security is not a premium product.

Last edited:

Kongo

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 25, 2017
Hello,
I just upgraded ESET from Internet Security to Smart Security Premium (post #51 Battle - ESET or Bitdefender) because I wanted LiveGuard but I cannot see it working and I don't know how I can test if it works and how it works :unsure:
In general the best way to test this feature is to run software or a software update that is yet unknown to the ESET database. It's comparable to the Block At First Sight feature of Microsoft Defender.

Here a test file that you can run to check if LiveGuard is analysing it. It's a safe test file from Microsoft so don't worry.

Microsoft account is required to download tho...

JB007

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 19, 2016
In general the best way to test this feature is to run software or a software update that is yet unknown to the ESET database. It's comparable to the Block At First Sight feature of Microsoft Defender.

Here a test file that you can run to check if LiveGuard is analysing it. It's a safe test file from Microsoft so don't worry.

Microsoft account is required to download tho...
Hello @SecureKongo
I just tried the test and after the download the LiveGuard blocks the file, and after few minutes (3') the file is deblocked; but I'm a bit disapointed because I did not receive any information when the process starts and when it finishes.
1.PNG2.PNG3.PNG4.PNG

Kongo

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 25, 2017

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
Hello @SecureKongo
I just tried the test and after the download the LiveGuard blocks the file, and after few minutes (3') the file is deblocked; but I'm a bit disapointed because I did not receive any information when the process starts and when it finishes.
View attachment 265150View attachment 265151View attachment 265152View attachment 265153
There is a setting in ESET to enable notification for submitted file. You probably need to enable that. It's in the desktop notification section in the settings or somewhere else, I forgot.
Edit: It's probably not in the desktop notification section. But it's there somewhere. Search thoroughly.

Last edited:

JB007

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 19, 2016
Now you can try to download the file again I posted above. It always generates a fresh one, so it should trigger ESET's LiveGuard (y)
Just done but I did not see any notification and when I look at ESET logfiles, the logfile of files sent to ESET is empty:confused:
1.PNG2.PNG

• Sad
Reactions: Nevi and Kongo

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.