• No

Votes: 8 61.5%

• Total voters

n8chavez

Level 16
Thread author
Well-known
Feb 26, 2021
I've been using NordVPN via windows 11 native ikev2, mainly because I forgot I have a subscription to it. The app itself does not support ikev2, which I need because rclone and steam have issues with wireguardNT. According to NordVPN their ikev2 tutorial has this disclaimer. Should I be worried? Should I trust NorVPN, or look elsewhere for a VPN that supports ikev2?

Disclaimer: This connection method will require you to add the certificate to Trusted Root Authorities, which will apply to all certificates. This might potentially put your system at the risk of a MITM attack if someone gets the private key of that certificate. While our private keys are completely secure and the chances of anything bad happening are very small, we recommend this connection method only if you cannot connect using our native app or any other alternative way.

Reactions: Sorrento and Nevi

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
I've been using NordVPN via windows 11 native ikev2, mainly because I forgot I have a subscription to it. The app itself does not support ikev2, which I need because rclone and steam have issues with wireguardNT. According to NordVPN their ikev2 tutorial has this disclaimer. Should I be worried? Should I trust NorVPN, or look elsewhere for a VPN that supports ikev2?
I think they have a vested interest in protecting those keys and probably do a decent job of it. I don’t trust them as a VPN provider, though.

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
Ok. Just seeking opinions, but is hide.me more trustworthy?
I haven't seen any scandalous information about them. But I don't follow the VPN industry the way I used to. Honestly I have a hard time trusting any of them. They just resell you bandwidth and have the same access to your data that your ISP does. But Nord has always seemed particularly suspicious. If I had to use one it would be IVPN, and Mulvad after.

Reactions: Slerion

n8chavez

Level 16
Thread author
Well-known
Feb 26, 2021
I haven't seen any scandalous information about them. But I don't follow the VPN industry the way I used to. Honestly I have a hard time trusting any of them. They just resell you bandwidth and have the same access to your data that your ISP does. But Nord has always seemed particularly suspicious. If I had to use one it would be IVPN, and Mulvad after.

Agreed with Mullvad. But they don't offer ikev2, which I need.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.