App Review Norton Security 22.22.8.15

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.
Content created by
Shadowra

Shadowra

Level 34
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Tester
Well-known
Sep 2, 2021
Hello and welcome to the Norton test!
Norton is an American antivirus, very well known to the public.
It has been offering software capable of protecting the user for years.
In this version, no change in security, but the interface has been slightly modified.
White, blue and icons have been modified.

Protection level: Norton is still formidable!
It stopped all attacks submitted!
Nothing is passed (the installer is a false positive, which I did not count and which I stopped)

Still recommendable.

RAM Usage : Low
Malware URL test : 10/10 (All blocked)
Fake crack : 1/1 (Blocked : WS.Reputation.1)
Malware Pack : Remaining 13 files out of 215.
Norton blocks all threats at launch!
A file was launched but not counted, it was a false positive that I stopped.
PC clean

Resistance to script attacks: Yes

Result :
IObit : 0
KVRT : 0

Recommand : Recommended
System Clean : Yes system clean & protected

@Kiss request

G

Guilhermesene

Yes, I am using it. It is incredibly light, very quiet, so far I have not received any offers to buy additional ones. I have set the SONAR mode (new behavior blocker) to AGGRESSIVE and the firewall for malicious applications to AGGRESSIVE as well.

I confess that I have used Bitdefender, Kaspersky and ESET for quite some time and I am quite impressed with Norton.

I bought a 2 year license of Norton 360 Premium Plus and I have nothing to complain about 🙂 .

Detail: the chat support is excellent, they are very attentive and always available.

G

Guilhermesene

The only thing I don't like so much about Norton is that it is highly dependent on the Internet, even the Behavioral Blocking support site says that without an Internet connection it doesn't work. From this point on, Bitdefender for me is the best because it has a high rate of offline detection, but other than that, Norton is excellent, there's nothing to complain about 🙂 .

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
The only thing I don't like so much about Norton is that it is highly dependent on the Internet, even the Behavioral Blocking support site says that without an Internet connection it doesn't work. From this point on, Bitdefender for me is the best because it has a high rate of offline detection, but other than that, Norton is excellent, there's nothing to complain about 🙂 .
In March AV comparatives did a malware protection test where they compared offline vs online protection:
1664993375739.png

An idea for @Shadowra to enhance his testing?

Kiss

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Oct 6, 2021
But who uses the computer these days without internet connection? And without internet it is impossible for you to be infected, unless you downloaded malware on another connected computer and put it on a pendrive to infect yours that is off 😆

G

Guilhermesene

But who uses the computer these days without internet connection? And without internet it is impossible for you to be infected, unless you downloaded malware on another connected computer and put it on a pendrive to infect yours that is off 😆
Yes, I understand what you mean. I just approached it from another point of view, obviously this only occurs in specific scenarios where there may be internet connection failure etc. clearly, for such an infection to occur the chance is minimal.

BigWrench

Level 18
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 13, 2014
Great test @Shadowra. I think,in my opinion, we all love to hate Norton. Myself included. We all know that it’s top shelf, but can’t admit it. I love it, except for all its fluff and pop ups. I, as well as others, do NOT care for having to set up auto pay, and give payment information just to trial. We used to get free keys from them when we beta tested, but that ship has sailed. Oh well. I’m done whining. Thanks again @Shadowra ✌️

Shadowra

Level 34
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Tester
Well-known
Sep 2, 2021
In March AV comparatives did a malware protection test where they compared offline vs online protection:
View attachment 269790

An idea for @Shadowra to enhance his testing?

I must admit that I am thinking about it, because even without an Internet connection, one can unfortunately be infected.
It is enough that a PC is infected by a worm or a malware able to infect the autoruns.inf file of the key to be infected....
It is under study to include a category without connection :)

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
offline protection is still valuable when the internet connection is unstable or the AV's server is down
I do not trust the ones which highly depend on the cloud

F

ForgottenSeer 95367

It was questionable BEFORE the Avast buyout. I'd downgrade it to "laughable" at this point.
Norton is decent. It is right there with Bitdefender and Kaspersky, unless you think a 1% difference between them is meaningful (it is statistically insignificant in real life events). Norton will stop a lot of attacks that Microsoft Defender cannot. For example, banking trojans and other financial malware attacks.

Norton has a lot of settings that must be adjusted manually, especially the firewall, to get the most out of it. In other words, Norton must be hardened just like every other internet security suite out there.

Security software is like anything else cybersecurity. Those that have the knowledge, and can act on that knowledge, stay safe while everybody else only stays safe because of probabilities.

F

ForgottenSeer 95367

Use of offline infected pendrives happen every single day in south central and southeast Asia. It's almost a way of life.

G

Guilhermesene

Norton is decent. It is right there with Bitdefender and Kaspersky, unless you think a 1% difference between them is meaningful (it is statistically insignificant in real life events). Norton will stop a lot of attacks that Microsoft Defender cannot. For example, banking trojans and other financial malware attacks.

Norton has a lot of settings that must be adjusted manually, especially the firewall, to get the most out of it. In other words, Norton must be hardened just like every other internet security suite out there.

Security software is like anything else cybersecurity. Those that have the knowledge, and can act on that knowledge, stay safe while everybody else only stays safe because of probabilities.
Can you recommend me some adjustments in Norton's firewall? Thank you 🙂

entropism

Level 4
Verified
Jul 30, 2019

I think you should re-read what I wrote, and what I was quoting, because your response covered none of it.

Shadowra

Level 34
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Tester
Well-known
Sep 2, 2021
Norton is an excellent antivirus and that is undeniable. It is part of the podium, whether it is in my opinion or in comparison sites.

Concerning the settings, it all depends on your surfing. In this test, I did not modify them and it protected the machine well.
Afterwards, if your surfing is very risky, I would change the Sonar settings, especially against Java RATs (Java files) which are one of Norton's weaknesses. Even if it is very efficient against known malware families (like Adwind or Jrat), it can leave some traces if it is not blocked in time...
In aggressive mode, the slightest attack is blocked but can cause false positives. :/

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.