Advice Request Norton Utilities Premium v17.0.3.658 - Looks like IOLO System Mechanic

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

peterfat11

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 25, 2021
I just tried downloading and installing NU Premium since it's promoted as a free benefit of having a Norton Security subscription. And (LOL) I was looking for an *alternative* to System Mechanic because of a lot of annoying and/or slimy behavior from Iolo. Because of the subscription model, and the fact that Norton seems to do less software development than they used to, in the back of my head I wondered, "I wonder if they license code from Iolo?"

Imagine my surprise when I tried INSTALLING Norton Util Premium and got a pop-up that said, "You must uninstall System Mechanic before installing Norton Utilities Premium"! That was a dead giveaway that they're the same, or at least the same basic code-base. Which is how Mr. Google pointed me to this discussion thread.
no it is IOLO SM it is total the same XD
even the process names are the same

peterfat11

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 25, 2021
It has less functionality than System Mechanic, such as not including the registry cleaner and some other features too.
yea but the basic function and features are the same, the whole thing is divided in to four parts(dash bord, tool box, real-time care, and on demand boost)

Reactions: roger_m

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.