• 360TS

Votes: 2 1.9%

• Total voters

alv222

Level 2
Thread author
Oct 11, 2019
I've trialed all of them and what i've found is that:
G Data is heavy but has some useful functions like encryption. F-Secure got a horrible UI but really light, can't even notice it's there and fast scans. Kaspersky is kind of heavy and has a nice UI, but really slow scans. Norton, lightweight, nice UI and has a fast VPN but it takes time for their "Download Insight" to verify downloads, fast scans. 360TS very nice customizable UI, avira and bitdefender engine, has some kind of HIPS but their own engines are weak. I also tried bitdefender, it was light but their updates are really slow, their UI is decent and doesn't have many features.

FrFc1908

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 28, 2016
Of those I've used the following:

360 TS
I used it 3-4 years ago but stopped using because it became nagware, so many popups and cuestionable system optimization features

F-Secure Safe
It was my previous main line of defense but stopped using it, too many false positives especially with Safe Browsing and DeepGuard (behavior protection), the program can be easily killed from task manager if you have admin rights. It's really light on my system and scans are blazing fast.

Kaspersky Internet Security 2020
That's what I'm using currently and it offers a great balance between protection and system performance (assuming you have a relatively recent computer), its Web Protection module can block common infection vectors (phishing, malvertising, known exploits, etc) also their System Watcher combined with KSN cloud can catch most unknown malware (unless you're a high value target).

you are right about the nags in the free version of 360 and ads in the gui , but you can but licenses cheap at eybay or block "promoutil.exe" with your firewall. system optimization is NOT questionable , it is actually good and really improve your system speed. once the scan finishes , you can view the outcome , before making the tweaks and deselect the stuff you do not want to change. the driver updater is also good in the premium version! you can do a backup first , before you do update your drivers before updating. I never had any problems with it!

out of these I would pick 360ts because of its lightness and its ok protection. gdata was very heavy when I tried it out last in 2014. kaspersky is very good out of the box , but it still runs heavy on browsing the web and that annoying rootkit scan that runs automatically once a week. fsecure is way to expensive for what it offers and really slows webbrowsing and you can definately feel its pressence on the system.

Last edited:

alv222

Level 2
Thread author
Oct 11, 2019
out of these I would pick 360ts becuase of its lightness and its ok protection. gdata was very heavy when I tried it out last in 2014. kaspersky is very good out of the box , but it still runs heavy on browsing the web and that annoying rootkit scan that runs automatically once a week. fsecure is way to expensive for what it offers and really slows webbrowsing and you can definately feel its pressence on the system.
kaspersky is heavy even without those scans and f-secure is not heavy, you could take a year free from the giveaway section

FrFc1908

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 28, 2016
kaspersky is heavy even without those scans and f-secure is not heavy, you could take a year free from the giveaway section

I can get an fsecure rebrand free from my isp (kpnveilig also @ v17.7) and I do not like it all , because of its noticeable pressence , drag on webbrowsing and godawefull gui....had it on my system for half a day , and then got fed up with it....

alv222

Level 2
Thread author
Oct 11, 2019
I can get an fsecure rebrand free from my isp (kpnveilig also @ v17.7) and I do not like it all , because of its noticeable pressence , drag on webbrowsing and godawefull gui....had it on my system for half a day , and then got fed up with it....
how much CPU does it take to you?

Reactions: Dave Russo

bayasdev

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 10, 2015
you fsecure? I did not pay attention too the ammount of ram it uses and its processes , I just noticed that my laptop did not run as smooth as it does with 360ts or eset. fsecures webfilter really did slow down chrome and brave.
F-Secure became really light and unnoticeable on perfomance since they switched to Avira SDK, their web filter classifies most of my country websites as phishing/malware also some websites in Spanish are missidentied. The good side is that they don't mess with SSL connections downgrading them to SSL 1.2 because the MITM module doesn't supports modern TLS 1.3.

MacDefender

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Oct 13, 2019
Yes, the last version I used was 17.7.
Interesting as when I test that, the self-protection works as it should.

I just tried on 17.7. You can kill some of the processes but they aren't critical, they're the ones that tell Windows Security that protection is active and deliver notifications to you. There is an ULAV protected process that cannot be killed.

When the killable processes are killed you lose notifications, but deny behavior still works.

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
I just tried on 17.7. You can kill some of the processes but they aren't critical, they're the ones that tell Windows Security that protection is active and deliver notifications to you. There is an ULAV protected process that cannot be killed.

When the killable processes are killed you lose notifications, but deny behavior still works.
Excellent testing, as usual. (y)

F 4 E

Level 3
Verified
Jan 27, 2019
no idea why people are voting for F secure, it has pretty much no features, no behavior module,, no firewall, no cloud.

F-Secure is one of the best and easiest to use AVs around. No frills or bloat, and your modem/router firewall plus Windows firewall will give you plenty of protection from attackers.

I've tested most of the AVs over the years, and F-Secure has never given me any problems, which I can't say for programs like Norton, Bitdefender and Kaspersky. Trend Micro has good protection, but I have always found it heavy on both my machines.

Use the Internet sensibly, and F-Secure is all you need.

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

F-Secure is one of the best and easiest to use AVs around. No frills or bloat, and your modem/router firewall plus Windows firewall will give you plenty of protection from attackers.

Against external attacks most consumer firewalls aren't very protective and generally are just simple nat but they will do act as a basic low end lock on the front door from inbound.

Also, WFW isn't going to protect systems from lateral movement across a network/workgroup/subnet. For that you need L7 rules with protocol awareness. I don't think a lot of AV suites offer a true third party firewall that isn't a boosted WFW.. What remains? GData, Norton, ZoneAlarm, Comodo, Panda, ESET.. Do Kaspersky, Bit Defender, AVIRA, and Bullguard still have stand alone firewalls not part of WF?

I don't use suites without a tweakable firewall in that isn't based off WF.

F 4 E

Level 3
Verified
Jan 27, 2019
Against external attacks most consumer firewalls aren't very protective and generally are just simple nat but they will do act as a basic low end lock on the front door from inbound.

Also, WFW isn't going to protect systems from lateral movement across a network/workgroup/subnet. For that you need L7 rules with protocol awareness. I don't think a lot of AV suites offer a true third party firewall that isn't a boosted WFW.. What remains? GData, Norton, ZoneAlarm, Comodo, Panda, ESET.. Do Kaspersky, Bit Defender, AVIRA, and Bullguard still have stand alone firewalls not part of WF?

I don't use suites without a tweakable firewall in that isn't based off WF.

Afaik, Kaspersky and Bitdefender have stand alone firewalls. I believe Bullguard tweaks the Windows firewall. Not sure about Avira.

In regards to NAT firewalls, they can be tweaked for maximum protection too, so I reckon F-Secure is still a good option.

F

ForgottenSeer 823865

1- don't mistake Windows Firewall and Windows Filtering Platform (WFP).
2- Windows Firewall and all 3rd party vendors implementing a Firewall relies on WFP, then some add some features to tighten the filtering.
3- Some vendors/developers just use and "improve" Windows Firewall (basically making a more usable GUI for it and adding more rules). The problem is some don't advertise it misleading the users to believe it is a full-fledge homemade firewall.

omidomi

Level 71
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 5, 2014
F-Secure for sure!
G-Data is good , but it Use bug defender engine & it caused this software have more Fps & more heavier
360ts is Chinese junk ware I do't suggested it.
Norton is good one , but in level of Privacy I can't trust them.
Kaspersky is good choice also but some people say they do spying...

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.