Not Unlocker but Uninstaller by IObit

N

Nige_40

Thread author
Hi all.

I ran a scan with Emsisoft Emergency Kit - Version 2.0

So after the scan finished a Pop-up box telling me about Emsisoft Emergency Kit and what it found.

The info below is what I got from the Report file inside Emsisoft Emergency Kit.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
a2scan_120726-195016-Notepad

Emsisoft Emergency Kit - Version 2.0
Last update: 26/07/2012 19:49:27

Scan settings:

Scan type: Deep Scan
Objects: Rootkits, Memory, Traces, C:\
Scan archives: On
ADS Scan: On

Scan start: 26/07/2012 19:50:16

C:\Program Files\IObit\IObit Unlocker\Freeware\UnLock_FreeSoftwareDownloader.exe detected: Trojan.Win32.Pasta!E2

Scanned 509459
Found 1

Scan end: 26/07/2012 21:03:06
Scan time: 1:12:50

C:\Program Files\IObit\IObit Unlocker\Freeware\UnLock_FreeSoftwareDownloader.exe Quarantined Trojan.Win32.Pasta!E2

Quarantined 1

----------------------------------------------------------------------
The Reason why I'm posting this, is to make the users aware of this, especially if you have IObit Unlocker installed on your Machine.

Therefore if you have this IObit Unlocker on your system try a scan and see if you find the Trojan like I found.

Therefore, I hope this information helps the people/Members who have this software installed.

Kind Regards

Nigel

Malware Maniac

Level 1
May 14, 2012
RE: IObit Unlocker Trojan

Nige_40 said:

If Emsisoft has not detected this earlier, then it may be a false positive. Emsisoft has several false positives that may go away later when you're updating. Just give it a few days Emsisoft will release an update, search for false positives and put IObit Unlocker back on your system.

IObit already got bad publicity from the Malwarebytes incident. I don't think that they would want any more by having their product be known as malware.

Update: You can't just rely on one engine. Before you state that a company's software is malware please run it through VirusTotal or Jotti.

Update #2: The trojan is not for IObit Unlocker. It is for their UnLock_FreeSoftwareDownloader.exe file as it state in report (unless if that is the Unlocker correct me if I'm wrong).

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011

If you downloaded IObit Unlocker from a trusted source, like IObit's homepage, Softpedia, MajorGeeks, Download.com, etc. then it is completely safe. Just a false positive, report it to Emsisoft.

If you downloaded it from other sources then it could possibly be malware.

Upload the file to VirusTotal, if you downloaded it from an unknown source.

Thanks.:D

Edit: UnLock_FreeSoftwareDownloader.exe is a downloader to download IObit's other products like Advanced SystemCare, Smart Defrag, IObit Malware Fighter Free, etc. It only runs if you choose to download other IObit products during installation of IObit Unlocker. It is completely safe, not a Trojan. However you can safely delete it and it will not affect IObit Unlocker.

N

Nige_40

Thread author

Malware Maniac said:
Nige_40 said:

If Emsisoft has not detected this earlier, then it may be a false positive. Emsisoft has several false positives that may go away later when you're updating. Just give it a few days Emsisoft will release an update, search for false positives and put IObit Unlocker back on your system.

IObit already got bad publicity from the Malwarebytes incident. I don't think that they would want any more by having their product be known as malware.

Update: You can't just rely on one engine. Before you state that a company's software is malware please run it through VirusTotal or Jotti.

Update #2: The trojan is not for IObit Unlocker. It is for their UnLock_FreeSoftwareDownloader.exe file as it state in report (unless if that is the Unlocker correct me if I'm wrong).

Thanks Manic, I will look into it.

Mind you I still got it on my main Laptop, but not this machine.

Plus that for the advise.

N

Nige_40

Thread author

Littlebits said:
If you downloaded IObit Unlocker from a trusted source, like IObit's homepage, Softpedia, MajorGeeks, Download.com, etc. then it is completely safe. Just a false positive, report it to Emsisoft.

If you downloaded it from other sources then it could possibly be malware.

Upload the file to VirusTotal, if you downloaded it from an unknown source.

Thanks.:D

Edit: UnLock_FreeSoftwareDownloader.exe is a downloader to download IObit's other products like Advanced SystemCare, Smart Defrag, IObit Malware Fighter Free, etc. It only runs if you choose to download other IObit products during installation of IObit Unlocker. It is completely safe, not a Trojan. However you can safely delete it and it will not affect IObit Unlocker.

I downloaded it from Iobit main site 2 months ago.

But the Emsisoft Emergency Kit did a long update and it was after that update I got that Malware on what I have already said

But I will upload my saved info up to Virustotal and see how I got from there.

So thanks for your help as well

Regards

Nige

N

Nige_40

Thread author

Yep all clean on this Machine I will run the main file thought my laptop later and see what I get.

N

Nige_40

Thread author
was Unlocker Now a test on Uninstaller by Iobit.

Nige_40 said:
Yep all clean on this Machine I will run the main file thought my laptop later and see what I get.

My Laptop was clean.

Mind you I ran a test with Jotti on Iobit Uninstaller and it said that it had a
PUA.W32.Packer.Upx-28 found by Clam AV

So I ran the same file under Virustotal and it said nothing found. Not even by Clam AV

So I guess that is a false malware finding under Jotti ?

anyway I will leave it for now

N

Nige_40

Thread author
RE: Was Unlocker now IObit Uninstaller.

I got a report from Malwarebyes,And Microsoft Safety Scanner of same name I reported last post.

Malware Maniac

Level 1
May 14, 2012

Nige_40 said:
I got a report from Malwarebyes,And Microsoft Safety Scanner of same name I reported last post.

... And what did they say?

And IObit Unlocker is not now IObit uninstaller. IObit uninstaller removes installed programs and leftover keys and files. IObit Unlocker removes files that are hard to becoming hard to remove.

N

Nige_40

Thread author

Malware Maniac said:
Nige_40 said:

... And what did they say?

And IObit Unlocker is not now IObit uninstaller. IObit uninstaller removes installed programs. IObit Unlocker removes files that are hard to becoming hard to remove.

Insead of making a new thread. I re named it.

Both programs said malware found PUA.W32.Packer.Upx-28

That's all Malware Maniac

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011

Where are you downloading these from?

Edit: Download a new copy.

Nige_40 said:

N

Nige_40

Thread author

Earth said:
Where are you downloading these from?

Edit: Download a new copy.

Nige_40 said:

From the main site. Under Downloads.

I'm going to move away from IObit. I got lots of other good software to choose from.

Thanks Earth

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.