NoVirusThanks OSArmor

AtlBo

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 29, 2014
How much tweaking of the default settings actually adds protection with OSA? This is a question I have had for awhile and I know it's been touched on (and by NVT too thx who says defaults are enough for normal protection) before in the thread. However, at this point is anyone finding a sweet spot with settings->such as change only these few for deep protection etc.? Thx for any assistance.

71Hemi

Level 2
Verified
Dec 12, 2015
So I have a question, I am running Kaspersky Secure Cloud Free - which I understand has its own anti-exploits, MBAE with its own anti-expliots, and AppCheck Anti-Ransomware with its own(you guessed it)anti-exploits, plus NVT ERP version 3.1beta. Considering all this anti-exploit code running simultaneously, and the fact that MBAE has other protections enabled as well, I would like to run one programs anti-exploit only so as not to have any conflicts/compatibility issues when and if I ever get exploited. Which of these programs offers the best anti-exploit protection, and is AppCheck Anti-Ransomware really necessary with Kaspersky running?

Reactions: JB007 and AtlBo
F

ForgottenSeer 58943

So I have a question, I am running Kaspersky Secure Cloud Free - which I understand has its own anti-exploits, MBAE with its own anti-expliots, and AppCheck Anti-Ransomware with its own(you guessed it)anti-exploits, plus NVT ERP version 3.1beta. Considering all this anti-exploit code running simultaneously, and the fact that MBAE has other protections enabled as well, I would like to run one programs anti-exploit only so as not to have any conflicts/compatibility issues when and if I ever get exploited. Which of these programs offers the best anti-exploit protection, and is AppCheck Anti-Ransomware really necessary with Kaspersky running?

That's some overkill.. Kaspersky alone is good enough for most people. OSArmor default next to Kaspersky will be more than sufficient if you want something else on the list IMO. Get rid of MBAE, AppCheck, and NVT.

Duotone

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Mar 17, 2016
Sure. But if you just want something basically bulletproof without tweaks and adjustments, Kaspersky+OSA would be way more than enough without going any farther.. I guess I misunderstood the purpose here.
True OSA is a bit more user friendly than NVT just considered he's already familiar with NVT so it maybe the best option for him.

71Hemi

Level 2
Verified
Dec 12, 2015
So considering whats been said regarding removing MBAE, AppCheck, and NVT, how much of what MBAE protects is covered by Kaspersky? Is Kaspersky good at Ransomware protection? I also would prefer NVTERP over OSA as I have been using this program for years. Keep in mind that I do a lot of questionable browsing...

D

Deleted member 178

So considering whats been said regarding removing MBAE, AppCheck, and NVT, how much of what MBAE protects is covered by Kaspersky? Is Kaspersky good at Ransomware protection? I also would prefer NVTERP over OSA as I have been using this program for years. Keep in mind that I do a lot of questionable browsing...
1- MBAE is not so much better than Win10 Exploit Guard. I don't use Kaspersky so i can't give you a valid comparison between MBAE and Kasp.
2- if you use ERP v4 properly, you won't have to care about Kaspersky efficiency against ransomware, But with KIS, you won't need ERP anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Kaspersky Internet Security or Total Security has strong anti-exploit protection.

AtlBo

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 29, 2014
Running OSArmor on 2 machines with all the options checked. I'm having almost no FPs once about 20 or so Exclusions are set. Then just have to exclude some portables on remote drive and maybe some unsigned that I want to run in the Comodo container or whatever.

Anyone care to speculate on the protection value of this with regards to .exes and then overall? Anti-exe has been a question mark sometimes, but I believe mostly at defaults. I'm loving this program more and more personally btw :emoji_v:. The alerts are a look at the command line...like with ERP, but I know something about the activity with OSA. (y)

1.4 is great protection value for the PC resources required imo NVT....:emoji_clap:

Carphedon

Level 1
Mar 2, 2018
Doe anyone else have the following problem: After importing OSA configuration file, OSA does not work anymore. I can execute cmd, powershell import .reg, whatever i want OSA does not block or log a thing.

OSA 1.4
Fresh installation of Windows 10 1803
No other security software except windows defender.

Attachments

• OSA.jpg
    OSA.jpg
    302.7 KB · Views: 363
  • OSA2.jpg
    OSA2.jpg
    460.3 KB · Views: 390
Last edited:
D

Deleted member 178

Doe anyone else have the following problem: After importing OSA configuration file, OSA does not work anymore. I can execute cmd, powershell import .reg, whatever i want OSA does not block or log a thing.
Not on my side.
btw, you gave few details , what is you OS, OSA version, security apps installed, etc...etc...

Reactions: harlan4096

Carphedon

Level 1
Mar 2, 2018
Not on my side.
btw, you gave few details , what is you OS, OSA version, security apps installed, etc...etc...

OSA version 1.4 as seen in screenshots. No other security software except windows defender. Fresh installation of Windows 10 version 1803. Was not yet added to post (messages waiting for moderator approval.)

Last edited:
Reactions: harlan4096

Carphedon

Level 1
Mar 2, 2018
I have another question. Is OSA still maintained or is there a better more secure alternative? Its been a while since we have seen an update or reaction from developer in this thread.

D

Deleted member 178

@Carphedon

- Latest NVT OSA is stable v1.4, a new build will be released to fix some unicode stuff.
- NVT ERP is better than OSA but more complicated.
- NVT SOB is better than ERP but even more complicated because no GUI.

Then you have plenty of product that does better (but less user-friendly) than OSA using different mechanisms (HIPS, SRP, etc..)

Windows_Security

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 13, 2016
@NoVirusThanks

Andreas,

Would it be possible for Signer Extractor to export trusted vendors in exception (allow) list format for OS_Armor?

. . . or even better include this as an additional option for OS-Armor . ..

Thanks

Kees

Last edited:
Reactions: given and oldschool

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.