NoVirusThanks OSArmor

F

ForgottenSeer 823865

Thanks Umbra! I've been running EXE Radar Pro v.3.1 for a long time, and I'm thinking about upgrading to v.4. Anything I should know regarding v.4?
It is a different beast, If you were comfortable and liked to create custom rules in v3, then v4 is for you even if you have to learn its more sophisticated rules editor. It is the most efficient one I ever came across for an anti-exe.

Anyway v3 is abandoned, sooner you jump to v4, better it is.

Lenny_Fox

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 1, 2019
OS Armor has not yet included Edge-chromium in the Exploit protection.

I added one custom block rule in OS_Armor (basically don't allowing msedge.exe to start other executables):

[%PARENTPROCESS%: *\msedge.exe] [%PROCESS%: *\*.exe]

And added an allow exception for msedge.exe itself, so broker process can load spawned GPU and renderer msedge subprocesses:

[%PARENTPROCESS%: *\msedge.exe] [%PROCESS%: *\msedge.exe] [%FILESIGNER%: Microsoft*]

South Park

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Jun 23, 2018
I've been tempted to use cracked/pirated software but always had visions of something nasty setting up housekeeping on my machine. So, I do something similar. If I really think I need a piece of software, I cruise the many giveaway sites looking for it. Often, I find something similar, play with it for a while, and discover I didn't need it after all.
Whenever I need software for Windows, I can usually find a free or open-source program, even advanced photo and video editors like PhotoDemon and AVIDemux or sophisticated file tools like PeaZip.

Sampei Nihira

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Dec 26, 2019
Hello,
I'm wondering if NVT OSA is still in development because there ar no more update since March 24, 2019:unsure:

I also participated in the development of OSA (Andreas).
Then after a certain period there were differences of views.

The driving distance from my city to the NVT headquarters is about 170 km.
Often I say "once or another I go to Perugia and inquire" but then for one reason or another ..........(n):confused::confused:

Azure

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 23, 2014
Reactions: JB007 and oldschool
F

ForgottenSeer 823865

Hello,
I'm wondering if NVT OSA is still in development because there ar no more update since March 24, 2019
Andreas is probably on some business projects as usually, freewares can't expect to be on the fast track.

Does it need any update?
no, 1909 don't have any significant changes over 1903. Also, LOLbins don't change path and even if they change, you just create custom rules.

JB007

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 19, 2016
I also participated in the development of OSA (Andreas).
Then after a certain period there were differences of views.

The driving distance from my city to the NVT headquarters is about 170 km.
Often I say "once or another I go to Perugia and inquire" but then for one reason or another ..........(n):confused::confused:
Does it need any update?
Andreas is probably on some business projects as usually, freewares can't expect to be on the fast track.

no, 1909 don't have any significant changes over 1903. Also, LOLbins don't change path and even if they change, you just create custom rules.
Thanks @Sampei Nihira , @Azure & @Umbra for for these details(y)

Reactions: blackice

South Park

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Jun 23, 2018
Hello,
I'm wondering if NVT OSA is still in development because there ar no more update since March 24, 2019:unsure:
I used OSA for about 2 yr. but decided to replace it with Hard Configurator because H_C's developer, @Andy Ful (and others with the project) is very active here and responds to questions and concerns. I'm not an expert, but I'd say an average home user is just as protected with Hard Configurator.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
So wich tool is better to support a Main AV under Windows 10 1909?
OSA at default settings is much less in-your-face. You probably will not even notice it is there. However, Voodoo at default settings is much stronger protection. It all depends on what kind of protection you are trying to achieve, and how you will configure the products.

Andy Ful

From Hard_Configurator Tools
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
OSA is not intended to block strictly the exploits, especially memory exploits. But, it can block several exploit delivery methods, and also several payload delivery methods. It can also block the execution of many payloads. But in the default settings, many payloads can pass by the OSA protection.
So, OSA has anti-exploit prevention abilities. Both on the pre-execution and post-execution levels.

Last edited:
F

ForgottenSeer 823865

OSA has basic anti-exploit protection that analyzes parent processes and child processes blocking exploit payloads.
this is not anti-exploit, this is default-deny.

But, it can block several exploit delivery methods, and also several payload delivery methods. .
To me, delivery is not exploitation, exploitation is the act of abusing a vulnerability. Eternal Blue is an kernel exploit, it abuse a vulnerability.
Default-deny tools (anti-exe, etc...) don't prevent exploitation of vulnerabilities.
The only thing they can do, is they will prevent (as you said) either delivery of the exploit or the post-exploitation part of the attack chain (like abusing rundll32.exe, etc....)

Anti-Exploit software are HMPA, MBAE, Windows 10 Exploit Protection and some components in suites, which can prevent exploitation of vulnerabilities, which occurs most of the time via memory attacks.

There is no such thing as "basic anti-exploit", this is just marketing shenanigans made by some vendors to make their solutions more appealing. And many fall for it and parrot it across boards, so unaware people believe that your so-called basic anti-exploit (aka Default-Deny) will protect them from in-memory REAL exploits/attacks.

Sampei Nihira

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Dec 26, 2019
this is not anti-exploit, this is default-deny.

To me, delivery is not exploitation, exploitation is the act of abusing a vulnerability. Eternal Blue is an kernel exploit, it abuse a vulnerability.
Default-deny tools (anti-exe, etc...) don't prevent exploitation of vulnerabilities.
The only thing they can do, is they will prevent (as you said) either delivery of the exploit or the post-exploitation part of the attack chain (like abusing rundll32.exe, etc....)

Anti-Exploit software are HMPA, MBAE, Windows 10 Exploit Protection and some components in suites, which can prevent exploitation of vulnerabilities, which occurs most of the time via memory attacks.

There is no such thing as "basic anti-exploit", this is just marketing shenanigans made by some vendors to make their solutions more appealing. And many fall for it and parrot it across boards, so unaware people believe that your so-called basic anti-exploit (aka Default-Deny) will protect them from in-memory REAL exploits/attacks.

The DEP test of the Exploit Test Tool (HPA) is blocked by OSA.
This is a memory test.

.......This test allocates a piece of non-executable memory on the heap and copies shellcode to start calc.exe to this memory. Then it jumps to that shellcode. This will trigger a DEP exception which, will be intercepted......

However I understand what you mean, I also don't consider OSA a pure Anti-Exploit.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.