On the topic of terminating F-Secure processes....

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
For example if i configuire the admin account to elevation only trusted and signed executables; elevation only with admin credencials on safe environment, do you think i more safe in this way that im using?
I like many others, extra so here on MT know many ways one can " harden " an account/system or a machine, but I'm still not sure what exactly you mean with " configure the admin account for trusted and signed executables; elevation only with admin credentials on safe environment, do you think I'm more safe "? :unsure:

One of the fastest and easiest way is simply using a SUA account as it's always " better/more safe ". One can of course get nuked and infected and loose credentials even with a SUA, very normal with so called reckless users, but using a SUA is a very old basic security advice that more should use. That is for sure not only related to F-Secure and their specific issue in this thread.
Personal I'm on SUA 24/7 as it's too easy to elevate with for example a password if needed.

Filipe

Level 1
Verified
Feb 23, 2018
Oh sorry i see why you didnt understand, thats because i wrote incorrectly. My fault!. I meant doing that changes under SUA not admin account, i using an SUA 24/7 since years ago :) i agree, its old basic security but still efective somehow and thats good. I wanted to say is : as im using a SUA and with elevation prompts for asking admin credentials in safe envirnoment it should be good to go right? Because if i deny the elevation prompts by default for everything it would be a nightmare, meaning that i would an admin account for almost everything.

Sorry for the mis-urderstanding, i was at work and thinking in my own language ;)

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
I meant doing that changes under SUA not admin account, I wanted to say is : as im using a SUA and with elevation prompts for asking admin credentials in safe envirnoment it should be good to go right? Because if i deny the elevation prompts by default for everything it would be a nightmare, meaning that i would an admin account for almost everything.
Elevation prompts, do not need to be a nightmare at all. If one constant fiddle and install new software, extensions, addons and always have to tweak and twist and can't find any rest or peace and instead feel comfortable and relaxed 🧘‍♂️, sure it might get annoying. In that case, I strongly believe the issue has nothing to do with an elevation prompt.

It would be too easy from my part just say yes, your good to go from using a SUA ( standard user account ), as that's never 100% correct no matter what AV or security solution you or anyone else use. One major factor is and always will be, you as a user but I think a much better and for sure proper and also a more helpful debate/talk for yourself would be in the MTs configuration forum/section.
It ain't anything you must do, but it's a part of MT where more members can help with general good tips and advice that I can guess would help you more, with for example your question around SUA.

MacDefender

Level 16
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Oct 13, 2019
Yeah it’s too bad that this many years later, an Admin account is still “special” on Windows. It has a lot of hidden magical superpowers (being able to map DOS drives, modify more folders, and lots of other esoteric Windows capabilities that malware love to use) that simply aren’t there with a SUA. In an ideal world, an admin account + UAC click-through should be just as secure, just like on a Mac or Linux machine you can have a standard user account as an admin and without using something like sudo or biometric authentication, it acts just like a standard account.

Reactions: roger_m and Filipe

Filipe

Level 1
Verified
Feb 23, 2018
For example if you are a windows insider tester, to manually update i need to go to the admin account :(
Yes @MacDefender i love MacOS (too bad its expensive to own Apple Devices) and I love linux ( im installing for security tests the ParrotOS - one of the best for malware analysis) .

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.