Advice Request OSArmor - Worth Keeping the Freeware Version?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

SearchLight

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 3, 2017
I know this has been discussed before concerning OSArmor moving to shareware and the merit of paying for updates.

Putting that aside, does anyone or everyone agree that even keeping the freeware version will still serve a purpose, and provide some added protection to WD(ConfigDefHIGH) + Simple Windows Hardening?

Reactions: Protomartyr

Tutman

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 17, 2020
I thought about it and have moved on sadly. Testing out just using WD with the ConfigureDefender and VS. I do admit that even nowadays using Norton or McAfee is lighter on the system, BUT my boot up time paid the price and surprisingly with the latest incarnation of WD it is not heavy on resources or lagging my system AND I boot up faster on Windows 10 with it over a third party AV!

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
It's been over 7 weeks since the developer of OSArmor announced an updated version but since then, nothing has actually materialized. So why should anyone hang around waiting and waiting? No way!

I would not use an outdated security software even though it's currently free. We've had over 2 major Windows versions but OSA hasn't been updated in over 1 1/2 years.

Tweaked Defender, whitelisted some more stuff in CFA and using some components of Hard_Configurator. Checked my uBlock Origin filter lists and applied all available updates to OS, browsers and Defender.

I'm interested in whatever comes out and will take a look but not holding my breath.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
I haven't checked out OSArmor in a while but I assume that most mitigations still work despite windows updates. It might be missing a few "chinks" in the armour, though, since malware has continued its development, and the armor has not. But it will happen. When Andreas says he will do something, he always does it, just not as soon as some might hope.

camo7782

Level 4
Verified
Apr 29, 2019
With CD and SWH its highly unlikely you even need OSArmour. Plus the developer may stop updating the free version and eventually it will not be compatible with a future W10 update.

It is a while since I hang here, what are CD and SWH?

Tweaked Defender, whitelisted some more stuff in CFA and using some components of Hard_Configurator. Checked my uBlock Origin filter lists and applied all available updates to OS, browsers and Defender.

Same as above, what is CFA? I still use SysHardener.

Reactions: plat

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
It is a while since I hang here, what are CD and SWH?

Same as above, what is CFA? I still use SysHardener.
CD = ConfigureDefender:
ConfigureDefender is a small utility for configuring Windows 10 built-in Defender Anti-Virus settings.
SWH = Simple Windows Hardening:
Simple Windows Hardening (SWH) is a portable application that works on Windows 10 (Home and Pro editions). It is a simple configurator (front end) of advanced security that is already present in Windows 10, but which is not activated by default. This security is based on Software Restriction Policies (SRP) and some useful Windows Policies. It is not intended to work as a standalone security solution, but to support antivirus by reducing the attack surface in the home environment. After the initial configuration made via SWH, it can be closed and all protection comes from the Windows built-in features.
CFA = Controlled Folder Access:
On Windows 10, "Controlled folder access" is an intrusion-prevention feature available with Microsoft Defender Exploit Guard, which is part of the Microsoft Defender Antivirus. It's been designed primarily to stop ransomware from encrypting and taking your data hostage, but it also protects files from unwanted changes from other malicious applications.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.