Advice Request Password manager: Question is simply - why did you choose the one you are using now?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Soulbound

Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
There are better alternatives, free wise, for sure

Paid wise, im not so sure but some swear by other paid solutions

erH7B4sOt3.png

mlnevese

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 3, 2015
I have two Sticky Password lifetime licenses. The Android autofill is good and greatly improved after the last updates, the Windows client works with all my browsers and the Secure Memos are really useful to me. I don't worry about leaks and wish good luck to the hackers to crack the 256 bits encryption without my master password. Last I checked it could take around 1 trillion years :)

F

ForgottenSeer 85179

I don't worry about leaks and wish good luck to the hackers to crack the 256 bits encryption without my master password. Last I checked it could take around 1 trillion years :)
If they realy use that standard and doesn't save backups in plaintext or implement the encryption not wrong.
So you should care about leaks.

Also did you save 2FA in that database? Then it's even worse

Dark Knight

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Aug 17, 2013
Yes Bitwarden all the way , free , secure , encrypted, open source. For $10 (U.S.) a year you can add two factor authentication and is compatible with Yubi key.
I used to be a big fan of Nord, their VPN is top notch but much too expensive , just as is their new password manager, $30 a year for a password manager is just too much and doesn't offer anything special.

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
For which compelling reason did you choose your password manager?

I use Trend Micro Password Manager. I have used LastPass in the past, but main reason for the switch to Trend, is that it comes with the package of Trend.

What do you like especially about your password manager of choice?

There are many reasons why I like my password manager.
It's interface is very simple and easy to use.
Untitled-1.jpg

Syncs my passwords across all my devices.
It identifies if I have weak passwords (as seen in above screenshot).
Untitled-2.jpg
Fills forms in, i.e email, name, phone number, address.
It has a secure browser built in.
It has a password generator, so if I'm after a strong password it will generate one for me.

What else should I know about the password manager of your choice?

It's reasonably priced for a password manager.
Screenshot_261.png

It comes with an internet security suite if you wanted to not just protect your passwords, but your whole online presence.

Just a few of my reasons. Have not looked back since getting it.

jackuars

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 2, 2014
An easy thing to do is to remember one complex password and add a combination variable to this password for every website based on their domain name. Voila, you don't need password managers anymore.

Another thing you can do is to create unique passphrases (min 4 words) for every website based on some variable, apparently they are more secure.

Other than that the only advantage I see from a password manager is not to go through the trouble of typing it.

Last edited:
F

ForgottenSeer 85179

An easy thing to do is to remember one complex password and add a combination variable to this password for every website based on their domain name. Voila, you don't need password managers anymore.

Another thing you can do is to create unique passphrases (min 4 words) for every website based on some variable, apparently they are more secure.

Other than that the only advantage I see from a password manager is not to go through the trouble of typing it.
Nice idea but not useful if you want truly random passwords with all kind of letters.
Also if you want changing the password, it should be a totally different one instead of only changing some letter's

L

Local Host

Nice idea but not useful if you want truly random passwords with all kind of letters.
Also if you want changing the password, it should be a totally different one instead of only changing some letter's
If the password leaks on one website, makes brute force attacks easier on the other domains.

So I don't think is that good of an idea, random passwords are better.

R2D2

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Aug 7, 2017
I have tried/used almost every password manager there is.. My favourite PMs in order of preference: Lastpass (free) followed by 1Password (subscribed), Bitwarden (subscribed) and Dashlane (subscribed). I back up/export my information to a Keypass vault every few months which is stored and synced with my PCloud and Google drive. CSV backups stored in PCloud's crypto folder/vault. Yeah..backups of backups of backups. That's the fruitcake I am. :)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.