Open MalwareTips from your Home Screen or desktop. Follow discussions, find answers and pick up where you left off.
If you cannot find an install option, update your browser or use its bookmark option to keep MalwareTips close.
After installation, open the app and sign in. Enable push notifications in Preferences if you want alerts. On iPhone and iPad, push requires a Home Screen web app and iOS or iPadOS 16.4 or later.
Sign in to manage notificationsInstallation is optional. Your notification settings stay under your control.
This test shows how an antivirus behaves with certain threats, in a specific environment and under certain conditions.
We encourage you to compare these results with others and take informed decisions on what security products to use.
Before buying an antivirus you should consider factors such as price, ease of use, compatibility, and support. Installing a free trial version allows an antivirus to be tested in everyday use before purchase.
In the situation where malware runs before the AV the AV and user have already failed to stop the malware from entering the machine. Not saying that early boot of AV cannot be helpful, just a thought.Hello,
An AV thats boots faster than others does not make you "safe". Why Wireshark loads way before windows own firewall? Maybe because i let it do so. The same can do any malwares, that loads before windows own firewall driver. Zonealarm Firewall Free is quite interesting in this situation, it blocks alot of boot-up stage connections(check the log).
Have you tested if SEP is heavier then Norton ?Kaspersky is still heavier than Norton at any of my PCs.
Kaspersky is still heavier than Norton at any of my PCs.
Not only that, but overall system speed. PC Boot is faster with Norton than Kaspersky.Is that because of the strange behavior it causes on your machines where heavy network traffic grinds the system to a halt?
FWIW I'm not seeing that behavior myself....
View attachment 239886
Under relatively heavy network traffic, Kaspersky network scanning does use a sizable amount of CPU on this Core i7 device, but it's still less CPU usage than Chrome.
Note that network scanning in general is very CPU intensive, and if you have a Ultrabook style laptop it is going to significantly reduce your battery life when you're doing heavy networking. But in terms of overall system load, Kaspersky is barely perceivable for me.
Never tried SEP.Have you tested if SEP is heavier then Norton ?
Recently I built a new high-end, gaming focused desktop pc, and I had installed Norton 360 on this fresh system, it's running really smooth, but you know being a member of MT and having an empty seat on a Kaspersky IS license that I have keeps me wondering if I should switch to KIS . (I know KIS is better in regards to protection but compared to Norton I'm not sure if it's really meaningful for a gaming pc ; other than gaming I shop online sometimes)Kaspersky is still heavier than Norton at any of my PCs.
I don't recommend an av for gaming use a firewall to separate and isolate the gaming pc from your own network and use honey pots for deception.Recently I built a new high-end, gaming focused desktop pc, and I had installed Norton 360 on this fresh system, it's running really smooth, but you know being a member of MT and having an empty seat on a Kaspersky IS license that I have keeps me wondering if I should switch to KIS . (I know KIS is better in regards to protection but compared to Norton I'm not sure if it's really meaningful for a gaming pc ; other than gaming I shop online sometimes)
Maybe it's because the system is fresh and I don't want to play around with installing/uninstalling AVs , or maybe I'm just being lazy. but I know that one thing I know I like better about Norton is that it does not decrypt SSL connections. ( and one thing I dislike about Norton is actually a paragraph in it's privacy policy that you mentioned in another topic some days ago)
Tbh, I think an AV would cause issue with gaming performance is usually a far fetched idea. It may happen with some AVs which are known to be heavy but that's not very common nowadays. I have a few friends and my own brother who has gaming PC and all of them are running Windows Defender and never had any performance issue while gaming. It's also true that 9/10 gamers don't even pay heads to what AV they use so its almost always Windows Defender. If it was a serious issue we would've seen a lot more complain about it. In case if anyone have any performance issue then it's better to simply turn off the AV before playing games rather than not using any AV all together.I don't recommend an av for gaming use a firewall to separate and isolate the gaming pc from your own network and use honey pots for deception.
and a dedicated pc for shopping.
if you have only one pc Qubes OS/ Quebes like alternatives is recommended.
games may risk activities such as online shopping and anyway you are right , yeah my take is way too extreme.Tbh, I think an AV would cause issue with gaming performance is usually a far fetched idea. It may happen with some AVs which are known to be heavy but that's not very common nowadays. I have a few friends and my own brother who has gaming PC and all of them are running Windows Defender and never had any performance issue while gaming. It's also true that 9/10 gamers don't even pay heads to what AV they use so its almost always Windows Defender. If it was a serious issue we would've seen a lot more complain about it. In case if anyone have any performance issue then it's better to simply turn off the AV before playing games rather than not using any AV all together.
Members who viewed this thread in the last 5 minutes