AV-Comparatives Performance Test April 2021

Disclaimer
  1. This test shows how an antivirus behaves with certain threats, in a specific environment and under certain conditions.
    We encourage you to compare these results with others and take informed decisions on what security products to use.
    Before buying an antivirus you should consider factors such as price, ease of use, compatibility, and support. Installing a free trial version allows an antivirus to be tested in everyday use before purchase.

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Introduction:
The Performance Test evaluates the impact of anti-virus software on system performance, as programs running in background – such as real time protection antivirus software – use some percentage of system resources. Taking these tests as reference, users can evaluate their anti-virus protection in terms of system speed (system performance).

For further details please refer to the methodology documents as well as the information provided on our website.

Please note: We want to make clear that the results in this report are intended only to give an indication of the impact on system performance (mainly by the real-time/on-access components) of the consumer security products in these specific tests. Users are encouraged to try out the software on their own PC’s and see how it performs on their own systems.

bayasdev

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 10, 2015
Panda is a very basic AV with almost no feature at all. So it's no surprise that it is light. I tested it a few days ago and I can confirm that it's one of the lightest AV available but not so good at protection.
The last time I tried it felt heavier than EIS despite having almost no features aside from signature/cloud AV.

Reactions: Venustus and Nevi

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
I read through and maybe I missed it, but it seems they changed their scoring somehow as almost all of these AVs faired worst than recent tests. Either that or most of them have made detection improvements at the cost of performance.

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
The last time I tried it felt heavier than EIS despite having almost no features aside from signature/cloud AV.
Most people find Panda to very light, but there are rare exceptions. It is one of the lightest antiviruses I've ever used and is even very light on low-end systems. It's one of the few antiviruses that I know is going to be very light on just about any system I install it on. Having said that, it's a product I avoid these days because there are much better alternatives.

The last time I used EIS on my main system, it made it run a low slower, even though many consider it to be light. It's a good example of how system performance can vary greatly from one system to the next.
Huh, the PUP that is TotalAV somehow has a lower performance impact than Avira, yet uses the Avira Engine and is loaded with a lot more features, doesnt seem suspicious at all...
Adding extra features not related to protection, generally has zero impact on system performance. As an example, I use 360 Total Security, which despite being bloated in terms of features, is one of the lightest antiviruses there is. Also, the system impact will vary between different antiviruses using the same engine.

nico_be_rocky

Apr 4, 2020
Panda lighter than ESET ???? 😂
in my real daily use panda and eset have always been heavier than trend micro which I use on my laptop. if an application opens a few tenths of a second later you don't notice it. false positives are lower and web protection is much more efficient and faster. I keep finding kaspersky a step above the others but being incompatible with business applications the only one that satisfied me as a whole was trend micro. you don't realize you have it but when you need it it's always ready.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.