Personalize Edge built-in Tracking Protection with this tweak

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
I read a few post of @Gandalf_The_Grey which had links of Microsoft documentation.
Yes, the M$ docs helped me to understand this better. That's why I had posted it too Edge - Microsoft Edge Stable (Chromium) Now Available for Download
There is also this:
Note
The org engagement mitigation does not apply to the Cryptomining or Fingerprinting categories.
Tip
Strict mode blocks more resource loads than Balanced. The blocking of more resource loads may result in Strict mode appearing to block less tracking requests than Balanced since the trackers making the requests are never loaded.
Note
The Fingerprinting column in Current tracking prevention behavior refers to trackers that are on the Fingerprinting list in addition to another list. Trackers that appear on solely on the Fingerprinting list are considered non-malicious fingerprinters and are not blocked.

Last edited:
F

ForgottenSeer 85179

Thanks to oldschool i further analyse the new problem with Gandalf_The_Grey and test another way around:

The same files from Tracking Protection folder exists at:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft\Edge\Application\87.0.664.66\Trust Protection Lists\Mu

Modifying the "Other" file works too (need admin rights!) but the problem here is the path as it include the Edge version and will change at every update instead of only major update.
Anyway i check Reddit if the protection still works and it looks like it does:
1608289639463.png

I also clear all data from edge://settings/privacy/blockedTrackers?tracker=Automattic and after Browser restart i still get new stats:
1608289688489.png

I don't know if the folder remains empty - maybe Microsoft found our thread? o_O but until further research this Tweak doesn't work any more :(

F

ForgottenSeer 85179

What did Edge tell you guys if you visit edge://components/ and try to update Trust Protection Lists ? which btw tell me version 1.0.0.16 :oops:

I got:
Status - Update error

Same for "Autofill States Data - Version: 0.0.0.0" but other's are fine.

F

ForgottenSeer 85179

From Microsoft:
We’re in the process of updating the TPL component to improve the amount of protection provided. What you’re seeing is the first step of that. We always push out a version of the TPL component with the installer for Edge, so you are protected regardless of the update status on edge://components. You should see an updated list in the application directory (for example: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft\Edge\Application\87.0.664.66\Trust Protection Lists), and it will only show up in your local app data path when it’s updated via the component updater. Since that’s currently not happening, you will not see it in the local app data path.

So we just need to wait

*Ping so i don't need to hijacking the Edge thread*

silversurfer, oldschool, Gandalf_The_Grey

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
Reddit: MSFTMissy kommentiert "Trust Protection Lists" folder is empty with version 87.0.664.66 (reddit.com)

I always search their about Edge problems first as the official MS forums are sadly not good.
@MSFTMissy appears to be the Reddit Gal.

This --> "... We always push out a version of the TPL component with the installer for Edge, so you are protected regardless of the update status on edge://components."

Pretty much what I thought after I saw that TP was working, and maybe a bit better.

Last edited:

Amahl Farouk

Level 1
Jan 11, 2021
This doesn't seem to be working anymore as the folder gets deleted entirely with each restart of the browser since 1.0.0.18 component update.

Anyone got this working?

Based on a two month period test with uBlock set to hard block + DNS level filtering, I don't really see a need to have uBlock installed. It seems like the Edge Strict mode is good enough for my usage and with Kees' list and AdGuard at the DNS level it is more than enough.

Last edited:
F

ForgottenSeer 85179

This doesn't seem to be working anymore as the folder gets deleted entirely with each restart of the browser since 1.0.0.18 component update.

Anyone got this working?

Based on a two month period test with uBlock set to hard block + DNS level filtering, I don't really see a need to have uBlock installed. It seems like the Edge Strict mode is good enough for my usage and with Kees' list and AdGuard at the DNS level it is more than enough.
Well, the file(s) still exists, but at C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft\Edge\Application\87.0.664.75\Trust Protection Lists\Mu
Changing them at this place isn't recommend, as it would need admin rights.

Kees and me try adding our list into other projects so NextDNS user use them without doing anything. Sadly, it's not that easy.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.