Level 53
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
Shmu26 asked for a quick one on using Process lasso to improve security of a PC.
Well here ya go.
I want to note that due to the changing nature of some OS processes and the access issues MS is introducing your results may differ, using google to search for the exe of a process that is hidden is suggested. I can list some here from my system that may not be present on your system ect.

First off, this will not be a full tutorial on how to use Process Lasso, that can be found on the software's
homepage listed above, this will just be a short one on how to block unwanted Processes using Lasso...

Ok, Lasso has a very helpful GUI, the main window shows you a list of running processes on the PC at present, here is a SS below
Process Lasso 1.png

From there you can right click on any running process and select a wide range of actions, but for now we are focusing on two spacific actions, those being "Terminate" and "Always Terminate"
Always terminate will add the process selected to the "Disallowed" liast, this is a list of processes that have been blacklisted from running on the users system "Terminate" is temporary and will only kill the current process. Process Lasso will even blacklist MS processes if told to do so, you have to be careful as this can cause instability issues or worse. Make it a point to google the exe your going to add to the Disallowed list knowledge is power in this case, and could save you from damaging your system.
This can be done with Services both non MS and MS Services, by using the same process.

Process Lasso 2.png

You can navigate to the Blocked list by opening Lasso and navigating to: Upper menu "Options" then
"Configure Disallowed Processes" and it will bring you to the above window.
As you can see I have components of MS Office, Powershell, Cortanas search function, OneDrive, Skype, and various script exe's in there as well. This is just some of my list.
I would search for the "exe" of the program you are wanting to run if it is not present on your system to make sure you add the appropriate exe to the list.
There are other uses for this list as well, like adding the processes of a software you are about to uninstall so it wont be running and you have to restart to uninstall. But I digress, I will approach that in the next one maybe. Don't forget to visit the site and read up on Process Lasso as it is a awesome addition to any system, and this is another software I have utilized since its original release.
Enjoy

Last edited by a moderator:

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
awesome.
if anyone else knows other security tweaks that can be done with this software, please post
The best way my brother is to create a restore point and dive right in, A good cheat sheet is Black Vipers list of safe Services to disable, you can add those to the Disallowed list
to start with, and just gradually add more as you find them, you can google malicious processes and add them too.
If you make a mistake just restore.
Good Luck my friend.

JakeXPMan

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 20, 2014
I used ilio's system mechanic before, which balanced running programs with a system booster which later I found a registry key called process lasso... but I had no idea it was its own program. I do like System Mechanic, had a nice defrag, cleaner (avoided reg cleaner) and booster worked great.

So I voted used in the past, even if it wasn't officially Process Lasso.

bitsum

From Bitsum
Verified
Developer
Sep 1, 2016
I used ilio's system mechanic before.. So I voted used in the past, even if it wasn't officially Process Lasso.
That is not the same experience. I can not say more, because I am not sleazy and don't want to get in the gutter -- but I can say I sure know which I would pick for my real-time process priority optimization and automation needs, and that would be Process Lasso from Bitsum.

I would rather buy from the guy innovating (Bitsum) than the corporate guys (iolo LLC is owned by a Private Equity Group named Marlin after the founder sold a couple years ago, this is public knowledge). You say, so what? Well, the so what is enthusiasm. Companies with founders who are also owners that *care* are who survive. Those that focus on squeezing a dime out of a penny all day... which is what PEGs do... well, they end up in a different spot - eventually (hey, they do squeeze hard before they let go!). Sometimes they make money reselling a company after slashing it to its bones (multiple rounds of lay-offs at iolo also common knowledge), and that is who they are.

Which company do you think cares more about how well their software performs? The one with an absentee owner who barely knows what the product is, or the one with the engineer at the heart of the company?

Plus, we have *real* lifetime licenses. They tried to copy us, but only would go so far as 'lifetime of the PC'. No small print at Bitsum!

In short, go Process Lasso ;).

Last edited:

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
@bitsum
Hey there :)
Thanks for taking notice, I love my Lasso and as long as your around you will be my "go to" tool :)
I could have done a more extensive "how to" but as you know it would have taken pages of space lol.
Tell the Lasso Dev's they are appreciated.
As soon as I can afford it I am getting a lifetime key for the wife as well.
PeAcE

bitsum

From Bitsum
Verified
Developer
Sep 1, 2016
My last post had typos and bad auto-corrects, so replacing it here.

The ONLY place to get the latest version of this technology (e.g. not one 2 or more years old), is at Bitsum. Also, you are buying from the guy who conceived and innovated the product, including the ProBalance Algorithm - and Bitsum has been around for 20 years now, so we're here to stay!

Thank you all for your support! I work much harder for much less than I would at a cushy corporate job, and I do it half for you. Yea, half for me, as I like my freedom ;).

Process Lasso's ProBalance is amazing because it REALLY WORKS and that is something I can PROVE.

Similarly our other algorithms and technologies actually WORK or have real UTILITY.

Compare and contrast this to the snake-oil this industry is full of :eek:.

Note that Bitsum, again not being at the mercy of accountants, NEVER uses installer bundles, so you can rest-easy downloading from bitsum.com (can not speak for external download sites that host our software).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.