amirr

Level 27
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 26, 2020

1610696478182.png

I wont enable it, since I use Adguard for Windows. As you see mine is set to OFF in the screenshot below:
1610696569071.png

Wait, but it says there that using custom DNS servers will disable NetShield.

So how to disable NetShield really? Because I use AdGuard for Windows and don't want something else to interfere with it.
Thank you.

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019

So how to disable NetShield really? Because I use AdGuard for Windows and don't want something else to interfere with it.
VPN shouldn't interfere with Adguard Desktop.

The custom DNS server option is there if you want to use something else as DNS instead of their NetShield.

amirr

Level 27
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 26, 2020

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
NetShield protects you from malware, trackers, and ads (protonvpn.com)

View attachment 252964

I wont enable it, since I use Adguard for Windows. As you see mine is set to OFF in the screenshot below:
View attachment 252965

Thank you.
Some custom regular DNS like NextDNS, Adguard DNS etc come with content filtering so no point duplicating the protection of DNS queries

Adguard for Windows is not a DNS unless you enable to use its DNS feature

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
@SeriousHoax
"The custom DNS server option is there if you want to use something else as DNS instead of their NetShield."
Thank you.
I don't see the NetShield icon on my app for Windows as the screenshot below from How to use NetShield to block malware, ads, and trackers - ProtonVPN Support shows it:

View attachment 252967

I don't know why I don't have it. Is it a bug? I thought to ask here since there are ProtonVPN users here as well.
NetShield is a paid feature, available to Visionary, Plus and Basic users. Read below by protonvpn

amirr

Level 27
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 26, 2020
I got it, I have it now. I did a test, which was connecting ExpressVPN to a server and then opening the ProtonVPN application. Then I saw the NetShield icon:
1610705685791.png

While ExpressVPN was OFF, I did not see the NetShield icon, in the middle, like in the screenshot above.
When EXpressVPN is off, usually here is what I see:
1610705770358.png

amirr

Level 27
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 26, 2020
Today I uninstalled ProtonVPN for Windows and reinstalled it via its official website, but the older version was available for download!
Later I tried to update the application via the About menu, but still, it didn't fetch the new version. Probably they removed the new version for some reason.
Can someone confirm this?

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
Today I uninstalled ProtonVPN for Windows and reinstalled it via its official website, but the older version was available for download!
Later I tried to update the application via the About menu, but still, it didn't fetch the new version. Probably they removed the new version for some reason.
Can someone confirm this?
Right. The website is downloading the older version. So they have removed it for some reason. I still have version 1.18.2 installed.

amirr

Level 27
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 26, 2020

Cortex

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 4, 2016
Gave Proton Pro a try last week, apart from the UI dislike (as I already know what the world looks like) IMO needs a much faster method of connection such as Wireguard as I get almost 350 meg on Mullvad & couldn't get over 110 meg on Proton - Just my experience.

amirr

Level 27
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 26, 2020
ExpressVPN has the simplest and most straightforward UI ever, IMHO.
I don't need to know the server load, etc., that other VPNs show to the user. e.g., ProtonVPN shows the server load. I wish there were an option to disable it.

uninfected1

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2016
Good find. It would've been better if they also mentioned the name of that particular antivirus.
I reported to them last week that I got a BSOD every time I tried to connect to 1.18.2 (1.17.1, my previous version, works fine). Sent logs etc and I now see they've pulled all 1.18 versions. My AV is Kaspersky SCF so that's one of the AV's they're referring to. I have to say I've been very unimpressed with their support so far. They seem more concerned in concealing there was an issue than telling me the truth. Despite several emails from them no mention of AV conflicts. I'll report back as to how things are resolved.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.