Ransomware - PCEU virus

Fryern

Thread author
Verified
Feb 5, 2013
If Hitmanpro kickstart cannot make an internet connection and malawarebytes is already on my PC what should I do next?

I am new to this site so excuse my errors etc

Non't understand OTL or aswMBR. I can't add anything the PC is currently unuseable

Any help much appreciated

Fiery

Level 1
Jan 11, 2011
Hi and welcome to MalwareTips! :)

My name is Fiery and I would gladly assist you in removing the malware on your computer.

Before we start:
  • Note that the removal process is not immediate. Depending on the severity of your infection, it could take a long time. 
  • Malware removal can be dangerous. I cannot guarantee the safety of your system as malware can be unpredictable. It is possible that we might encounter situations where the only recourse is to re-format and re-install your operating system. Therefore, I would advise you to backup all your important files before we start.
  • Please be patient and stay with me until I give you the green lights and inform you that your PC is clean. 
  • The absence of symptoms does not mean your PC is fully disinfected.
  • If you are unclear about the instructions, please stop and ask. Following the steps in the order that I post them in is vital
  • Lastly, if you have requested help on other sites, that will delay and hinder the removal process. Please only stick to one site.

Download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool from the below link:
<ul><li>For x32 (x86) bit systems download <a title="External link" href="http://download.bleepingcomputer.com/farbar/FRST.exe" rel="nofollow external"><>Farbar Recovery Scan Tool</></a> and save it to a flash drive.
For x64 bit systems download <a title="External link" href="http://download.bleepingcomputer.com/farbar/FRST64.exe" rel="nofollow external"><>Farbar Recovery Scan Tool x64</></a> and save it to a flash drive.</li>

<li>Plug the flashdrive into the infected PC.</li>

<li>Enter <>System Recovery Options</>.</li>

<>To enter System Recovery Options from the Advanced Boot Options:</>
<ul>
    <li>Restart the computer.</li>
    <li>As soon as the BIOS is loaded begin tapping the<> F8</> key until Advanced Boot Options appears.</li>
    <li>Use the arrow keys to select the <>Repair your computer</> menu item.</li>
    <li>Select <>US</> as the keyboard language settings, and then click <>Next</>.</li>
    <li>Select the operating system you want to repair, and then click <>Next</>.</li>
    <li>Select your user account an click <>Next</>.</li>
</ul>
<>To enter System Recovery Options by using Windows installation disc:</>
<ul>
    <li>Insert the installation disc.</li>
    <li>Restart your computer.</li>
    <li>If prompted, press any key to start Windows from the installation disc. If your computer is not configured to start from a CD or DVD, check your BIOS settings.</li>
    <li>Click <>Repair your computer</>.</li>
    <li>Select <>US</> as the keyboard language settings, and then click <>Next</>.</li>
    <li>Select the operating system you want to repair, and then click <>Next</>.</li>
    <li>Select your user account and click <>Next</>.</li>
</ul>
<li>On the System Recovery Options menu you will get the following options:</span>
<pre>Startup Repair
System Restore
Windows Complete PC Restore
Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool
Command Prompt</pre>
<ol>
    <li>Select <>Command Prompt</></li>
    <li>In the command window type in <>notepad</> and press <>Enter</>.</li>
    <li>The notepad opens. Under File menu select <>Open</>.</li>
    <li>Select "Computer" and find your flash drive letter and close the notepad.</li>
    <li>In the command window type <><span style="color: #ff0000;">e</span>:\frst.exe</> (for x64 bit version type <><span style="color: #ff0000;">e</span>:\frst64</>) and press <>Enter</>
<>Note:</><span style="color: #ff0000;"> Replace letter <>e</> with the drive letter of your flash drive.</span></li>
    <li>The tool will start to run.</li>
    <li>When the tool opens click <>Yes</> to disclaimer.</li>
    <li>Press <>Scan</> button.</li>
    <li><>FRST</> will let you know when the scan is complete and has written the <>FRST.txt</> to file, close out this message</li>
    <li>Type <>exit</> and reboot the computer normally</li>
    <li>Please copy and paste both logs in your reply.(FRST.txt)</li></li>
</ol>
</ul>

Last edited by a moderator:

Fryern

Thread author
Verified
Feb 5, 2013
Fiery said:

My name is Fiery and I would gladly assist you in removing the malware on your computer.

Before we start:
  • Note that the removal process is not immediate. Depending on the severity of your infection, it could take a long time.
  • Malware removal can be dangerous. I cannot guarantee the safety of your system as malware can be unpredictable. It is possible that we might encounter situations where the only recourse is to re-format and re-install your operating system. Therefore, I would advise you to backup all your important files before we start.
  • Please be patient and stay with me until I give you the green lights and inform you that your PC is clean.
  • If you are unclear about the instructions, please stop and ask. Following the steps in the order that I post them in is vital.
  • Lastly, if you have requested help on other sites, that will delay and hinder the removal process. Please only stick to one site.

<ul><li>For x32 (x86) bit systems download <a title="External link" href="http://download.bleepingcomputer.com/farbar/FRST.exe" rel="nofollow external"><>Farbar Recovery Scan Tool</></a> and save it to a flash drive.
For x64 bit systems download <a title="External link" href="http://download.bleepingcomputer.com/farbar/FRST64.exe" rel="nofollow external"><>Farbar Recovery Scan Tool x64</></a> and save it to a flash drive.</li>

<ul>
<li>As soon as the BIOS is loaded begin tapping the<> F8</> key until Advanced Boot Options appears.</li>
</ul>
<ul>
<li>If prompted, press any key to start Windows from the installation disc. If your computer is not configured to start from a CD or DVD, check your BIOS settings.</li>
</ul>
<li>On the System Recovery Options menu you will get the following options:</span>
<pre>Startup Repair
System Restore
Command Prompt</pre>
<ol>
<li>Select "Computer" and find your flash drive letter and close the notepad.</li>
<li>In the command window type <><span style="color: #ff0000;">e</span>:\frst.exe</> (for x64 bit version type <><span style="color: #ff0000;">e</span>:\frst64</>) and press <>Enter</>
<>Note:</><span style="color: #ff0000;"> Replace letter <>e</> with the drive letter of your flash drive.</span></li>
<li><>FRST</> will let you know when the scan is complete and has written the <>FRST.txt</> to file, close out this message</li>
</ol>
</ul>

Fiery

Level 1
Jan 11, 2011
Hi Fryern,

I didn't get your reply. Can you use the "New Reply" function, I have attached a picture below:
kZiXxdt.png

If you want to attach a log, click New Reply then scroll down to the attachment section and and attach the file :)

Fryern

Thread author
Verified
Feb 5, 2013
Hi Fiery,

Sounds good to me. A couple of questions. I will be using my Mac for the download/s and copying to the UBS flash drive. Is that ok? Secondly you say choose US k/b happy with that but mine is UK.

Thanks,
Fry

Fiery said:

Before we start:
  • If you are unclear about the instructions, please stop and ask. Following the steps in the order that I post them in is vital.

<ul>
</ul>
<ul>
</ul>
<pre>Startup Repair
System Restore
Command Prompt</pre>
<ol>
</ol>
</ul>

Fiery

Level 1
Jan 11, 2011
Fryern said:
Hi Fiery,

Sounds good to me. A couple of questions. I will be using my Mac for the download/s and copying to the UBS flash drive. Is that ok? Secondly you say choose US k/b happy with that but mine is UK.

Thanks,
Fry

Yes, that will be perfectly fine :) And yes, you can choose UK keyboard if you want.

Fryern

Thread author
Verified
Feb 5, 2013
Hi Again,

Done the scan. Saved it - now I've got to get it to you!!!
I'll need to find best way to do that as my Mac is VERY slow at most things.
Fry

Fiery said:
Fryern said:
Hi Fiery,

Thanks,
Fry

Yes, that will be perfectly fine :) And yes, you can choose UK keyboard if you want.

Fryern

Thread author
Verified
Feb 5, 2013
Log is FRST PCEU 070272013

Fiery said:
Hi Fryern,

I didn't get your reply. Can you use the "New Reply" function, I have attached a picture below:
kZiXxdt.png

If you want to attach a log, click New Reply then scroll down to the attachment section and and attach the file :)

Fryern

Thread author
Verified
Feb 5, 2013
Log is FRST PCEU 07022013
Second FRST.TXT

Fiery said:
Hi Fryern,

kZiXxdt.png

Attachments

• FRST PCEU 07022013.txt
    14.6 KB · Views: 100
  • FRST.TXT
    14.6 KB · Views: 111

Fryern

Thread author
Verified
Feb 5, 2013
2013-02-07 08:21 - 2013-01-18 20:49 - 00000004 ____A C:\Users\Chris\AppData\Roaming\skype.ini

Whatever that is it is about the date the problem occured

Fiery

Level 1
Jan 11, 2011
Hi,

Yes you are correct, that is one of the bad files that we will have to remove. Can you create .txt files on a Mac? If you can, open that program and copy and paste the following: I have also attached a file if you can't create a .txt file on a Mac (never used a Mac in my life so I don't know how it works). Right-click the attachment and select Save link As.

2013-01-18 20:49 - 2013-02-07 08:21 - 00000004 ____A C:\Users\Chris\AppData\Roaming\skype.ini
2013-02-05 20:22 - 2009-06-26 13:35 - 00003394 ____A C:\Users\Chris\AppData\Local\qcgyy.dat
2013-02-05 20:22 - 2009-06-26 13:35 - 00000088 ____A C:\Users\Chris\AppData\Local\qcgyy.bat
2013-02-05 20:17 - 2009-06-26 13:35 - 00001537 ____A C:\Users\Chris\AppData\Local\qcgyy_navps.dat
ZeroAccess:
C:\$Recycle.Bin\S-1-5-21-1074769810-1078283988-2073797478-1000\$b155b2704791f9b09759dca33a230a88

and save it as fixlist.txt onto your flash drive.

Then, boot to system recovery, plug in your flash drive, open FRST and click fix. Post the generated log. Then attempt to boot to normal mode.

Attachments

• fixlist.txt
    489 bytes · Views: 101

Fryern

Thread author
Verified
Feb 5, 2013
Well I've got it on the flash drive:-

2013-01-18 20:49 - 2013-02-07 08:21 - 00000004 ____A C:\Users\Chris\AppData\Roaming\skype.ini
2013-02-05 20:22 - 2009-06-26 13:35 - 00003394 ____A C:\Users\Chris\AppData\Local\qcgyy.dat
2013-02-05 20:22 - 2009-06-26 13:35 - 00000088 ____A C:\Users\Chris\AppData\Local\qcgyy.bat
2013-02-05 20:17 - 2009-06-26 13:35 - 00001537 ____A C:\Users\Chris\AppData\Local\qcgyy_navps.dat
ZeroAccess:
C:\$Recycle.Bin\S-1-5-21-1074769810-1078283988-2073797478-1000\$b155b2704791f9b09759dca33a230a88

Above is how it's showing - i'll go to step 2

Fryern

Thread author
Verified
Feb 5, 2013
'Then, boot to system recovery, plug in your flash drive, open FRST and click fix.'

Do I go in via 'notepad' in command prompt after the other bits k/b etc? Excuse the ignorance.

Not sure where I get the command 'Fix'.

Fiery

Level 1
Jan 11, 2011
Fryern said:
'Then, boot to system recovery, plug in your flash drive, open FRST and click fix.'

Do I go in via 'notepad' in command prompt after the other bits k/b etc? Excuse the ignorance.

In command prompt, start FRST with(e:\frst.exe or e:\frst64) like you did when you did the scan. In the FRST interface, there should be a button that saids "Fix"

Fryern

Thread author
Verified
Feb 5, 2013
Fiery said:
Fryern said:

In command prompt, start FRST with(e:\frst.exe or e:\frst64) like you did when you did the scan. In the FRST interface, there should be a button that saids "Fix"

Thanks,
The updated text attached. I still have the problem. I have not looked at the text yet. Moving between a Mac and a PC is doing my head in a bit !!

Attachments

• FRST1.TXT
    14 KB · Views: 127

Fiery

Level 1
Jan 11, 2011
Hi,

Following the same instruction as before, create another fixlist.txt. The delete the old one and create a new one

HKU\Chris\...\Winlogon: [Shell] explorer.exe,C:\Users\Chris\AppData\Roaming\skype.dat [62976 2011-11-18] ()

Save it to the USB and click fix again in FRST. Then try to reboot.

Fryern

Thread author
Verified
Feb 5, 2013
Fiery said:
Hi,

Following the same instruction as before, create another fixlist.txt. The delete the old one and create a new one

HKU\Chris\...\Winlogon: [Shell] explorer.exe,C:\Users\Chris\AppData\Roaming\skype.dat [62976 2011-11-18] ()

Save it to the USB and click fix again in FRST. Then try to reboot.

Updated TXT attached. We get as far as loading all the desktop items then in a flash the screen goes blank (totally white) - hope that helps

Now 11.15pm uk, time for bed!!

Attachments

• FRST2.TXT
    14.2 KB · Views: 127

Fiery

Level 1
Jan 11, 2011
Hi there,

The last script didn't work. Delete all the FRST/fixlist logs on your USB so that the only FRST-related file on the USB is the FRST program itself. I have also attached a copy of the fixlist.txt if you have trouble making one on the Mac.

Open notepad and copy & paste the following:

start
end

Then, boot to system recovery, plug in your flash drive, open FRST and click fix. Post the generated log and attempt to reboot to normal mode.

Attachments

• fixlist.txt
    119 bytes · Views: 96

Fryern

Thread author
Verified
Feb 5, 2013
Fiery said:
Hi there,

The last script didn't work. Delete all the FRST/fixlist logs on your USB so that the only FRST-related file on the USB is the FRST program itself. I have also attached a copy of the fixlist.txt if you have trouble making one on the Mac.

Open notepad and copy & paste the following:

start
end

Then, boot to system recovery, plug in your flash drive, open FRST and click fix. Post the generated log and attempt to reboot to normal mode.

Latest log attached (hopefully). Same issue. I have noticed that if you boot in Safe Mode with Networking just before you appear to have 'got there' the system reboots. btw not sure I need HitmanPro bits and I also got the message to say frst.exe is 6 days out of date

Fryern

Thread author
Verified
Feb 5, 2013
The logs !!

Looks to me like your mod is there. Looks to me like it was in the previous one as well.

Attachments

• fixlist.txt
    118 bytes · Views: 98
  • FRST.TXT
    14.3 KB · Views: 111

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.