Real-World Protection Test February 2018

Mahesh Sudula

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 3, 2017
now this test is interesting, tho idk why Kaspersky isn't included in the RAP test..
GData scoring 2nd after "Wontok SafeCentral Security Suite"
now what the heck is that?
also IKARUS scoring better than the big guys, interesting
Ikarus surprised me as well..G data no surprise to me..all are on good track..except Vipre( it's a bit defender made) same for adaware as well....
I couldn't see protegent av in that list:ROFLMAO:

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

now this test is interesting, tho idk why Kaspersky isn't included in the RAP test..
GData scoring 2nd after "Wontok SafeCentral Security Suite"
now what the heck is that?
also IKARUS scoring better than the big guys, interesting

FortiClient scored third best there, only 0.5% behind G Data. :unsure:

It's pity they didn't include Microsoft. It would definitely beat all others again.

Keep the dream alive. LOL

Microsoft doing better should last less than 6 months, possibly only 3 months. But as long as there are still people keeping the dream alive I guess it's fine. :ROFLMAO:

Last edited by a moderator:

aragornnnn

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 18, 2016
When will someone finally take action, against those imo "misleading" tests?
Like seriously are they even allowed to post such nonsense?

Pull the plug out of them immediately is my suggestion :censored:

Av Gurus

Level 29
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Sep 22, 2014
Didn't know that Team Viewer have AV...???

TeamViewer ITbrain Anti-Malware

Clipboard01.jpg

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

That agency is not intelligent enough to even have the capability to install Webroot yet alone know how it works and how to properly make enough exceptions in the test for it to reach a 20% mark.

You forgot to post the graphics to go along with this so people like me with simple brains could ever hope to comprehend it without drinking the kool aid.

Reactions: simmerskool

amico81

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 10, 2017
but I feel justified with the behavior blocker from bullguard...it seems that he is more a sleeping dog.
they are miles away from the behavior blocker of gdata or emsisoft

Av Gurus

Level 29
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Sep 22, 2014
The introduced this around 3 years ago if I recall. I believe it uses the Bit Defender signatures. It's been a long time since I cared about Teamviewer so I forgot.

It's cloud based and interface online through browser?

Clipboard01.jpg Clipboard03.jpg

Run couple of links from Malc0de and files are encrypted...nice one...

1.jpg

Last edited:

Mahesh Sudula

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 3, 2017
but I feel justified with the behavior blocker from bullguard...it seems that he is more a sleeping dog.
This is the problem that arrives if we integrate all 3rd party components into one department..since their entire source code struggles btw each one with no co-operation whatsoever..I have read in a forum stating that the old source code(90%) of Novashield is still present now despite of bullguard claims that it spun it entirely from the ground by their members..Hope it works in near future..He is a good contender...Encourage him.;)

D

Deleted member 65228

I have read in a forum stating that the old source code(90%) of Novashield is still present now despite of bullguard claims that it spun it entirely from the ground by their members
You can test it by checking disassembly and doing comparisons... Identify routines with an identical or very similar pattern and sniff out the ones which are not linked to each other nor have similarities. However, if the code-base is quite large and there's a lot of components, then it could take a long time to do manually on your own.

It's a common technique applied to link malware variants back to specific hacking groups by finding similar patterns in samples from a specific hacking group, sometimes multiple. It's also a technique used by smart criminals to frame a link back to specific hacking groups which had no involvement to throw analysts off-guard on tracing back where the attack truly originated from - planting evidence by inserting small clues which are difficult to notice but imply XXXXX was from group XXXXX.

This is how analysts at a government agency are able to determine when a sample has similarities exclusive to malware used to attack Sony in the past or other scenarios. However, it isn't always accurate because clues can be planted intentionally and made to appear not obvious as being planted to frame.

Islam Gamal

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Jan 25, 2018
you are absolutely right. iam very happy with the active behaviour blocker of G-data. it is a high quality one.

Reactions: amico81
F

ForgottenSeer 58943

I used Bullguard for a bit, but after I threw it to the lab guys and it failed miserably with the BB I dumped it. Great firewall, good sigs, but the BB appears to almost be disabled. Too bad, I like everything else about it. G Data on the other hand, performed swimmingly. Bullguard users should combo it with VoodooShield. G Data you 'can' use VoodooShield if you want, and they work amazingly well together, but stand alone G Data blows out Bullguard.

RoboMan

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
signatures can get you only so far..
Winner of "comment of the day" prize.

As for Microsoft, it is true it's improving but it is very far yet to "kill the AV industry". But they have got a thing on their favour and that is that due to being a built-in software they can be as intrusive as Donald Trump's deporting system and get to know really deep what users need. When the right time is here, and Winter is (not) coming anymore, Microsoft will be a very efficient competition.

D

Deleted member 65228

As for Microsoft, it is true it's improving but it is very far yet to "kill the AV industry". But they have got a thing on their favour and that is that due to being a built-in software they can be as intrusive as Donald Trump's deporting system and get to know really deep what users need. When the right time is here, and Winter is (not) coming anymore, Microsoft will be a very efficient competition.
Microsoft pour their really innovative creations in enterprise because that is where it is most suited, the home user market is already full with a wide variety of different solutions to cater for people with different needs and by default Windows Defender needs to be as good as possible for user-ability and comfort-ability towards novice users who will not understand how to tweak Windows Defender.

Hence why the AV industry is not dead, Microsoft could do a lot of things but they just cannot for other reasons other than not being "capable". They also are partnered with many AV vendors and have more important things to be using resources for like improving safety of the OS internally by patching vulnerabilities and further preventing more being introduced for the future, and that in itself is a great deal.

Windows Defender for home users is supposed to be minimal for the modern world for fighting against malware, hence why it comes with some settings like Controlled Folder Access over an approach for anti-ransomware like a BB in an IS suite would have. Windows Defender even for home users can do more with group policies however such isn't adapted for novices/average users which is why it is all hidden away and it would be more convenient for one to use a different solution just by installing and clicking a few clicks and have more components for a layered protection approach.

However yes, it is true that Windows Defender is much better nowadays. Especially for generic detection and their cloud network. The end-point services are quite interesting for things like virtualization.

D

Deleted Member 3a5v73x

These new independent AV lab tests always makes so harsh discussions in security forums. I hope you understand that AV vendors pay some of the labs for their products to be tested, in return gaining userbase increase for some 100% green chart tabs. It's all business, and innocent people who throw money to best advertised AV, because they believe it's "Best Antivirus in 'input year/month'"

RoboMan

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
Microsoft pour their really innovative creations in enterprise because that is where it is most suited, the home user market is already full with a wide variety of different solutions to cater for people with different needs and by default Windows Defender needs to be as good as possible for user-ability and comfort-ability towards novice users who will not understand how to tweak Windows Defender.

Hence why the AV industry is not dead, Microsoft could do a lot of things but they just cannot for other reasons other than not being "capable". They also are partnered with many AV vendors and have more important things to be using resources for like improving safety of the OS internally by patching vulnerabilities and further preventing more being introduced for the future, and that in itself is a great deal.

Windows Defender for home users is supposed to be minimal for the modern world for fighting against malware, hence why it comes with some settings like Controlled Folder Access over an approach for anti-ransomware like a BB in an IS suite would have. Windows Defender even for home users can do more with group policies however such isn't adapted for novices/average users which is why it is all hidden away and it would be more convenient for one to use a different solution just by installing and clicking a few clicks and have more components for a layered protection approach.

However yes, it is true that Windows Defender is much better nowadays. Especially for generic detection and their cloud network. The end-point services are quite interesting for things like virtualization.
Thanks for the opinion :) True words! Microsoft has always focused on enterprise versions when innovating. Anyways, on my opinion, I do believe that with time, they will try to create a more solid product for home versions, probably merging the hidden registry/etc settings into one GUI.

Reactions: CodaPG

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.