Real-World Protection Test February 2018

amico81

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 10, 2017
I do not believe in miracles, in the real life that is. I believe it, when I see it, like in real life tests and on malware forums, people using WD not getting infected.

That would be a new interesting test @ malwarehub. But in the past, the WD doesnt look really good here

Reactions: Der.Reisende

AlanOstaszewski

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Jul 27, 2017
I do not believe in miracles, in the real life that is. I believe it, when I see it, like in real life tests and on malware forums, people using WD not getting infected.
The point is that Microsoft is the only company that can provide optimal security in Windows. That's the fact! We have seen that Meltdown or Spectre was not even recognized by AV software. A Windows update is the only thing that can help in this case and Windows Defender is now the only tool for security that comes from Microsoft and harmonizes with Windows 10. That's the point and nothing else.

Microsoft has recognized that Windows needs security and that's why they are developing Windows Defender.

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

The point is that Microsoft is the only company that can provide optimal security in Windows. That's the fact! We have seen that Meltdown or Spectre was not even recognized by AV software. A Windows update is the only thing that can help in this case and Windows Defender is now the only tool for security that comes from Microsoft and harmonizes with Windows 10. That's the point and nothing else.

Microsoft has recognized that Windows needs security and that's why they are developing Windows Defender.

Windows is the only OS in the world that requires security theater. Microsoft knows this. But at the same time Microsoft will never admit that their underlying OS is far too gone to be effectively secured without virtually breaking it. The architecture itself needs to be dumped and they need to start anew, or build something from the Unix Kernal. I've known Microsoft development engineers in the past, the code is junk. One hand doesn't know what the other is doing. It's a huge mess from top to bottom.

This is the same tired cycle we see again and again. Microsoft comes out with something new or improved to secure Windows, and in a few months it's bypassed or doesn't work as well as intended. Give it a few months, M$ AV will be back down significantly from it's magical spike right now. Also since AVC is pretty much full of it, I wouldn't even put weight on this test.

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

@ForgottenSeer 58943 You know that I don't support Windows and I don't use it.
But I'm just saying that Microsoft itself should take the security of users in its own hands, because only Microsoft can do it! Unfortunately, very few people understand that.

100% agreement there.. They really need to make it a priority. Unfortunately it seems like telemetry is their priority and that telemetry itself introduces new levels of security and privacy problems.

Sunshine-boy

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2017
I found NSS Labs much better than any av tests company.Their reports are not free but you can find a lot of those PDFs through the internet.

DeepWeb

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 1, 2017
Nonsense. I would like to know if they rebooted the computers after those scans to check if the malware is truly gone.

That's not true. There are many organizations and institutions that understand how Windows works better than Microsoft itself. CPU/GPU architects, Google engineers and the nice people of the NSA are just a few to name. I bet Kaspersky security researchers know a lot more about Windows, too. And the day all the intial creators of Windows NT have passed, nobody will truly know how the hell Windows works (except the NSA of course). You are assuming that the people who originally wrote the code understand the code the best. That is not true. Anyone who understands the language that the code is written in better has the potential to improve the original code.

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

I'm using EAM and it's became infuriating after the recent update. It throws so many false positives on me. Even some of my Steam games were getting flagged.

I like Emsisoft, it's got bugs, but I like it. The false positive thing was over the top so I didn't renew. But you are right, half my steam games get nuked by it. I'd get endless complaints by other gamers in the home that it swallowed up their games. Also, even on fairly potent rigs we noticed it introduced some lags. I appreciate the higher protection it offers, but I found it impractical.

Azure

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 23, 2014
I'm using EAM and it's became infuriating after the recent update. It throws so many false positives on me. Even some of my Steam games were getting flagged.
Av alerts or BB alerts? If AV then I would assume the fp is coming from Bitdefender. If BB, then those games are doing something that seems malicious.

If you know the games are completely clean then you be able to click on "wait, I think this is safe" option from the BB alert. Or you could exclude the game folder if you are 100% certain they are clean.

Reactions: Dhruv2193
I

illumination

They utilize a large collection of samples for testing according to their site. Any of you hub testers especially malware hunters can attest, that finding a handful of true zero day samples, well, that is a task. So simply put, these suites are all in the upper ranges, because most of the samples are older, meaning, they should be doing at least this good in these tests, and if not, they are really worthless "this does not take into account the testing methods which really are not as transparent as they should be".. Secondly, open the PDF again, this time, scroll to the last page of it to the Copyright and Disclaimer, pay close attention to the wording. These two things, should be all a user needs to see and know, to understand, that this is a basic outline of the products tested, and really tells you nothing and you most certainly should not be picking a product based off of them.

Faybert

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 8, 2017
there is a new VB100 Comparative Review – February 2018 out too :)

Virus Bulletin :: VB100 Comparative Review - February 2018

i personally trust him more
I do not trust most of these tests, but really VB is as close as it gets to reality, and pretty much like the results of our test in MH, just look at Panda's history in VB (photo), different from AV-Comparatives, which almost always 100% for them.
screenshot-www.virusbulletin.com-2018.03.15-23-22-57.png

Av Gurus

Level 29
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Sep 22, 2014
Why VB don't test Windows Defender and Comodo?

Last edited:
Reactions: AlanOstaszewski

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.