Rebel4Life Laptop

rebel4life

Level 9
Thread author
Verified
Sep 30, 2012
RE: Rebel4Life Machine

if anyone has an extra licence around looking for emsisoft mamutu going to try it with bitdefender instead of an companion AV

McLovin

Level 78
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011

Well I have a giveaway I started today on my channel and it has Emsisoft Mamutu.

The giveaway can be viewed here.

rebel4life

Level 9
Thread author
Verified
Sep 30, 2012

simple question guys can i use ikarus anti.virus as a companion to bitdefender its paid so try it out for 30 days

D

Deleted member 178

nope, it is not designed as companion and btw it has a loooot of FPs

rebel4life

Level 9
Thread author
Verified
Sep 30, 2012

made some new additions got rid of adobe reader(FOXIT READER now is my default) and adobe flash player and plugin (installed SILVERLIGHT) got chrome so no problems with JAVA now just has JAVASCRIPT to deal with now any ideas on an alternative to JAVASCRIPT guys

rebel4life

Level 9
Thread author
Verified
Sep 30, 2012

JAVA is taking care of with google chrome im talking about JAVASCRIPT

Ramblin

Level 3
May 14, 2011

rebel4life said:
...... any ideas on an alternative to JAVASCRIPT guys

You don't get rid of Javascript, you can not substitute it with something else but you can block it and only allow in certain sites with NoScript in Firefox. Doing so is a very good practice.

Bo

rebel4life

Level 9
Thread author
Verified
Sep 30, 2012

can anyone tell me what is a good port and traffic monitor program because bitdefender twice a day blocks someone or something trying to access one or two of my ports and i know bitdefender is blocking them but i want to monitor it more closely

rebel4life

Level 9
Thread author
Verified
Sep 30, 2012

if i try out sandboxie do i need shadow defender if not i'll got a licence for shadow defender willing to trade for emsisoft mamutu 3.0 i dont want another AV companion for BDIS something that helps to plug holes in my security

D

Deleted member 178

SD is another layer, that will virtualize your whole system/drives; it is not absolutely necessary if you have Sandboxie

Ramblin

Level 3
May 14, 2011

rebel4life said:
if i try out sandboxie do i need shadow defender

I say yes. I am using both. Sandboxie for security/convenience and Shadow defender for trying other programs. Both work great and can be used on its own or as a combo and for different purposes.

Bo

P

Plexx

rebel4life said:
if i try out sandboxie do i need shadow defender if not i'll got a licence for shadow defender willing to trade for emsisoft mamutu 3.0 i dont want another AV companion for BDIS something that helps to plug holes in my security

You will notice however that Emsisoft Mamutu is far superior to most solutions with a BB, so it is worth hanging on to it, not to mention it is pretty much the only updated standalone BB right now.

Other mentionable BB's but are incorporated already on solutions is AVG's Identity Shield, WSA Behavior Shield (to a certain extend), ZoneAlarm.

On to the actual topic, you do not need a virtualization software. On contrary, any virtualization software is simply optional. I have SD and hardly use it. It will in the end depend what you want to do with your machine. Some will also swear by Sandboxie but even then it is still optional and simply another layer of security which can be easily ignored if you have safe browsing habits.

Other good alternatives to SD would be the free Toolwiz Timefreeze if you really want to go that route.

Simply getting an AV solution and "fill the holes" with another layer is just fine (i.e: AV + BB (in your case your Mamutu) or HIPS (via a Firewall) and a safe browsing habits: I guarantee you would not get an infection, whether its AVG/MSE/avast! or even ClamAV.

Additional layers is only just to be on the safe side. Not required but it is optional.

For advanced users who know they are doing, multiple layers is fine as long as it doesn't mess up anything in their system and they will tell you it doesn't because they have tweaked just about anything in the system to support the layers properly, but for general users, a browser (chrome or IE) + a normal AV solution (9 out of 10 come with RT protection) is just fine. For MSE, should you wish, add a zero day prevention tool and your good to go.

Why over complicate things when you can have something simple (Note that when I say something simple I do not refer to the use of Sandboxie. Anything that needs to be configured is already deviating from the core: Simple and moving toward complicated).

Ramblin

Level 3
May 14, 2011

rebel4life said:
if i try out sandboxie do i need shadow defender

Hey Rebel, disregard-any reference about Sandboxie from the guy above, he has no idea of what he is talking about.

Tzuk, the Sandboxie developer, is a pretty smart guy, he designed Sandboxies default sandbox with new users in mind. He created a default sandbox that is easy to be used by new users but at the same time it is strong enough to keep malware from infecting your system. You can learn as you go, that's what I did.

The reason to use Sandboxie: Take a ride by the Sandboxie forum, I guarantee you that you will not find anyone reporting getting infected like you find in ALL antiviruses forums. People that use Sandboxie properly, don't get infected. Thats how it is.

http://www.sandboxie.com/phpbb/

Bo

P

Plexx

bo.elam said:
Hey Rebel, disregard-any reference about Sandboxie from the guy above, he has no idea of what he is talking about.

Here goes again the fanboy remarks. Do you honestly read anything or you do not know what does the word READ mean?

Since according to you I have no idea what I am talking about, then how about writing your reasons to justify such accusation? Can't? then refrain from posting such comments...

bo.elam said:
The reason to use Sandboxie: Take a ride by the Sandboxie forum, I guarantee you that you will not find anyone reporting getting infected like you find in ALL antiviruses forums. People that use Sandboxie properly, don't get infected. Thats how it is.

http://www.sandboxie.com/phpbb/

Bo

The same can be said about Shadow Defender, for example.

Oh and when you refer to People that use Sandboxie properly do not get infected, keyword here is Properly.

Any solution used properly has minimal chance for the user to get infected.

Honestly, do us all a favor, drop the All mighty sandboxie approach you are taking which translates to simply fanboy and treat other users with respect and read properly.

One things is to refer to sandboxie as a good software and what not, which until this date no one has ever denied its protection level. Another is simply going sandboxie here and there without respecting other protection approaches. There is no right or wrong answers in the topics you participated.

Take a chill pill for a second and reflect on your last few posts.

Oh and if you do want a tip: there is a feature called Ignore user. Use that and you would not see such posts if they do trouble you.

Ramblin

Level 3
May 14, 2011

Biozfear said:
The same can be said about Shadow Defender, for example.

Oh and when you refer to People that use Sandboxie properly do not get infected, keyword here is Properly.

Any solution used properly has minimal chance for the user to get infected.

By the way, I am using Shadow Defender. I switched to SD because it is the best of its kind and it works well. In a previous post in this thread, I recommended to Rebel to keep SD but you instead said about SD " I have SD and hardly use it". Your posts are a bit confusing.

Sandboxie just like any other security software has to be used properly in order to do its job well, the difference is that people using SBIE don't get infected. Thats not the case for People using an antivirus properly. One solution works better than the other. Thats why I am always recommending SBIE.

Despite how I feel about SBIE, you dont see me banging on other type of solutions, I don't even recommend to people to stop using antiviruses and you ll never see me saying that antiviruses are obsolete. Again you are confusing.

Even though Spanish is my native tongue, the one that needs to learn how to read is you. Please, read the thread again so you ll see where our friend Rebel asked/mentioned Sandboxie and Shadow Defender.

Also, despite that I dont care any about Mamutu, up to this point you wont read anything about Mamutu coming from me. I don't bang up solutions just because I dont care about them unlike you.

Be back later to see what you got to say, now its time for me to enjoy a churrasco for lunch.

Bo

P

Plexx

bo.elam said:
By the way, I am using Shadow Defender. I switched to SD because it is the best of its kind and it works well. In a previous post in this thread, I recommended to Rebel to keep SD but you instead said about SD " I have SD and hardly use it". Your posts are a bit confusing.

It seems you simply display the symptoms of fanboyism = Refuse to read key words or sentences. Since everything is confusing to you unless we talk about the all mighty Sandboxie, I will do you a favor and highlighting the key sentence:
On to the actual topic, you do not need a virtualization software. On contrary, any virtualization software is simply optional.

bo.elam said:
Sandboxie just like any other security software has to be used properly in order to do its job well, the difference is that people using SBIE don't get infected. Thats not the case for People using an antivirus properly. One solution works better than the other. Thats why I am always recommending SBIE.

Don't confuse yourself with other users. If users who use antivirus solutions properly would simply get infected, it means something ain't right there. Sure nothing is 100% but since when infections are due to the behavior of the solutions? Are you sure you know anything about anything apart from Sandboxie?

bo.elam said:
Despite how I feel about SBIE, you dont see me banging on other type of solutions, I don't even recommend to people to stop using antiviruses and you ll never see me saying that antiviruses are obsolete. Again you are confusing.

You simply brag about Sandboxie 9 out of 10 times and refuse to take other approaches/suggestions/comments.
Here is something for you:
A fanboy is a male who is highly devoted and biased in opinion towards a single subject or hobby within a given field.
Source

bo.elam said:
Even though Spanish is my native tongue, the one that needs to learn how to read is you. Please, read the thread again so you ll see where our friend Rebel asked/mentioned Sandboxie and Shadow Defender.
Again, refer to 1st response on this post. It has been addressed.

bo.elam said:
Also, despite that I dont care any about Mamutu, up to this point you wont read anything about Mamutu coming from me. I don't bang up solutions just because I dont care about them unlike you.
No one is pointing a gun at you to speak about Mamutu, whether you simply don't care because you never used or because you simply have no interest in such solution. However unlike you and your fanboy approach, I provide constructive feedback on more than one solution depending on the subject.

bo.elam said:
Be back later to see what you got to say, now its time for me to enjoy a churrasco for lunch.

Bo

Finally, if the last reply was the best you could do, don't bother coming back here and attempt a second reply...

rebel4life

Level 9
Thread author
Verified
Sep 30, 2012

ok boys kiss and make up btw im staying with shadow defender because i was having problems installing sandboxie and other programs too

all i wanted was some help to see what holes that bitdefender IS2013 has and what suggestions to plug up those holes so simple guys

Ramblin

Level 3
May 14, 2011

rebel4life said:
ok boys kiss and make up btw im staying with shadow defender because i was having problems installing sandboxie and other programs too

all i wanted was some help to see what holes that bitdefender IS2013 has and what suggestions to plug up those holes so simple guys

Shadow defender is a great program but if you like to try installing SBIE again, I can help you install it.

I like the decision you took of choosing SD/SBIE as either one keeps your system clean but if you like to try Mamutu, I do have a license that still has a few moths to go. Let me know and I ll send it to you.

Bo

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.