Rebel4Life Laptop

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
RE: Rebel4Life Machine

Why not try the Bitdefender Sandbox for dangerous sites? What did you think of it?

Understanding the Toolboar : http://www.bdantivirus.com/bitdefender/antivirusplus/html/privacy.antiphishing.toolbar.html

Tutorial : http://www.bitdefender.co.uk/support/virtualized-browsing-in-bitdefender-2012-881.html

Be great to hear what you thought of it, it'd be the first response I get back. :)

rebel4life

Level 9
Thread author
Verified
Sep 30, 2012

is that toolbar in bitdefender internet security 2013 i dont have 2012 never main guys i got it duh

P

Plexx

rebel4life said:
is that toolbar in bitdefender internet security 2013 i dont have 2012 never main guys i got it duh

Click Settings, then Privacy Control. Finally click on Antiphishing section.

By default the toolbar is disabled, if memory serves me right.

rebel4life

Level 9
Thread author
Verified
Sep 30, 2012

hiya guys it me again im trying out avast but i cant find this Avast Free (compatibility mode) can anyone help me out here and thanks

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012

rebel4life said:
hiya guys it me again im trying out avast but i cant find this Avast Free (compatibility mode) can anyone help me out here and thanks

I believe you have to select customizable installation to install Avast in compatibility mode.Which will allow it to run alongside another AV if thats what you mean.

rebel4life

Level 9
Thread author
Verified
Sep 30, 2012

updated i had to get rid of bitdefender had problems it had a few corrupt files

rebel4life

Level 9
Thread author
Verified
Sep 30, 2012

hiya has anyone heard or tried this software ClosetheDoor its for backdoor attacks

D

Deleted member 178

seems more a simple port-locker for admins, firewalls already do that.

rebel4life

Level 9
Thread author
Verified
Sep 30, 2012

but some firewalls dont do what people thiink they do you need to plug holes in your firewalls and other security software

D

Deleted member 178

rebel4life said:
but some firewalls dont do what people thiink they do you need to plug holes in your firewalls and other security software

it is why you have to choose a good firewall with lot of tweaks/options; btw, your router will already do the jobs via its "hardware" firewall.

Overkill

Level 31
Verified
Honorary Member
Feb 15, 2012

Biozfear said:
rebel4life said:
if i try out sandboxie do i need shadow defender if not i'll got a licence for shadow defender willing to trade for emsisoft mamutu 3.0 i dont want another AV companion for BDIS something that helps to plug holes in my security

You will notice however that Emsisoft Mamutu is far superior to most solutions with a BB, so it is worth hanging on to it, not to mention it is pretty much the only updated standalone BB right now.

Other mentionable BB's but are incorporated already on solutions is AVG's Identity Shield, WSA Behavior Shield (to a certain extend), ZoneAlarm.

On to the actual topic, you do not need a virtualization software. On contrary, any virtualization software is simply optional. I have SD and hardly use it. It will in the end depend what you want to do with your machine. Some will also swear by Sandboxie but even then it is still optional and simply another layer of security which can be easily ignored if you have safe browsing habits.

Other good alternatives to SD would be the free Toolwiz Timefreeze if you really want to go that route.

Simply getting an AV solution and "fill the holes" with another layer is just fine (i.e: AV + BB (in your case your Mamutu) or HIPS (via a Firewall) and a safe browsing habits: I guarantee you would not get an infection, whether its AVG/MSE/avast! or even ClamAV.

Additional layers is only just to be on the safe side. Not required but it is optional.

For advanced users who know they are doing, multiple layers is fine as long as it doesn't mess up anything in their system and they will tell you it doesn't because they have tweaked just about anything in the system to support the layers properly, but for general users, a browser (chrome or IE) + a normal AV solution (9 out of 10 come with RT protection) is just fine. For MSE, should you wish, add a zero day prevention tool and your good to go.

Why over complicate things when you can have something simple (Note that when I say something simple I do not refer to the use of Sandboxie. Anything that needs to be configured is already deviating from the core: Simple and moving toward complicated).

Yes anything more than your anti-virus/suite is optional BUT, if I had to choose over all my security then it would easily be the virtualization software over traditional av's/suites, they are the future in protecting computers... for me it's lighter and less complicated than alot of av's out there (set it and forget it), with sbie all you do is install it and your done and as long as your browser/s (the main road to malware) are in the sandbox you will always be malware free!
Now sure you can tweak things but that's not neccesary to be protected from malware in general.
The same goes for Shadow Defender, install and your done just put your system in shadow mode and your safe!
Correct me if i'm wrong (that's very possible) but i've never heard of many people (if any) getting infected while using sbie or shadow defender...I am in alot of yahoo groups and I constantly see posts that people are getting infected even though they have "protection" meaning some sort of av/suite. Lots of people get lazy or they aren't educated enough (my Wife, Mom and Sis to name a few)to keep their av's/suites updated and configured properly and that's when they get infected cause they don't know any better to not go to that particular questionable site or not to click that link or not to install that unknown exe, if they were using software like sbie or shadow defender I would bet my bottom dollar they would still have a clean pc over that suite that failed for whatever reason.
That's the beauty of virtualization you don't have to update things all the time to stay safe and clean from virus's!
When I ever get the chance to help someone out that has had bad luck with computers I would most definitely recommend sandboxie and/or Shadow Defender over any av on the market. :)

Ramblin

Level 3
May 14, 2011

Very well said Overkill. The above is the way that it is when programs like Sandboxie and/or Shadow defender are used to protect a computer,

Myself, I don't get infected since the day that I stopped depending on antiviruses to protect my computer against Zero day threats and started using Sandboxie and Light virtualization programs like Shadow defender.

Clearly, there is a before and after.

Bo

rebel4life

Level 9
Thread author
Verified
Sep 30, 2012

thanks guys sent out kudos for you just trying out encryption software today i know truecrypt is good but i like diskcryptor has a few more security features than truecrypt tho

Overkill

Level 31
Verified
Honorary Member
Feb 15, 2012

bo.elam said:
Very well said Overkill. The above is the way that it is when programs like Sandboxie and/or Shadow defender are used to protect a computer,

Myself, I don't get infected since the day that I stopped depending on antiviruses to protect my computer against Zero day threats and started using Sandboxie and Light virtualization programs like Shadow defender.

Clearly, there is a before and after.

Bo

Thanks Bo, just for the record the above is my personal opinion/feelings on this subject...I am on nobody's side even though I am fond of both of you :)
I hope you two can agree to disagree, you both (Bo & Bio) have helped me since i've been here and I appreciate it greatly!

rebel4life

Level 9
Thread author
Verified
Sep 30, 2012

i had problems with avast firewall in beta so im now looking to try other firewalls any ideas and not the following firewalls: online / comodo / outport

Overkill

Level 31
Verified
Honorary Member
Feb 15, 2012

Why not use windows FW? if not maybe private FW?

rebel4life

Level 9
Thread author
Verified
Sep 30, 2012

does anyone know about this firewall just want an alternative to windows FW

SpyShelter Personal Firewall 6.5 Free / what about this K7 security suite

rebel4life

Level 9
Thread author
Verified
Sep 30, 2012

updated my machine was heavy with K& 70 seconds bootup time and now with F-Secure its only 55 seconds oops had alot of problems with f-secure and gdata so im back with avast RC1 any ideas for me about windows FW to boost it or add some software that will beef up my firewall

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.