Removing User Admin Rights Mitigates 94% of All Critical Microsoft Vulnerabilities

Do you use a Standard User Account for daily usage?

• Total voters

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
I think it's under this sentence: "If malware is running in your split-token account you've given it Administrator access. In the worst case all it takes is patience, waiting for you to elevate once for any reason. Once you've done that you're screwed."

If you switch to another account the malware cannot use the elevation (it's another account... I don't know if I'm clear, it's not really clear for me too !)

Help @Umbra ! :confused:

The problem, is that it's braking the superb usability of the uac :(
Thanks. That makes sense, at least to me.
I have UAC set high, and I get a UAC prompt every time I do something as simple as run a Macrium Reflect backup job. So it sounds like UAC is a waste of time for me, because I often need to enter my admin pin.

ZeroDay

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2013
Why is it better to switch to admin account, rather than enter your credentials in the SUA?
Because entering your credentials in an SUA is giving the SUA access to the admin token. It's best to use an SUA for browsing etc and any tasks that require Admin credentials should be carried out in the admin account

D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
I think it's under this sentence: "If malware is running in your split-token account you've given it Administrator access. In the worst case all it takes is patience, waiting for you to elevate once for any reason. Once you've done that you're screwed."
If you switch to another account the malware cannot use the elevation (it's another account... I don't know if I'm clear, it's not really clear for me too !)

Exact

The problem, is that it's braking the superb usability of the uac :(
Usability is why UAC was created in the first place (imo big mistake) to avoid the need to sign in into admin account...it was strong on WinVista but whiners made it weak on Win7. Now there is rumor that MS will lock it to "max" setting without possibility of changes.

DJ Panda

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 30, 2015
Sorry, I still don't understand why its better to switch to admin account rather than typing it in a SUA. Someone try to explain it again please. :(

Andy Ful

From Hard_Configurator Tools
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
I tested the autor's powershell script, and it can run elevated cmd.exe without elevation prompt on LUA, but it fails on SUA. The autor's bypass can be implemented into executable, too.

tonibalas

Level 40
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 26, 2014
For about 6 months i am running SUA after the suggestion of @Umbra and other staff members.
At the 1st week i had a little trouble to get accustomed to the SUA.
But after that all is good.
When i want to install or try new software i switch to my admin account and proceed with my work.
I think anyone at least should try for a few days using a SUA.

Arequire

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Feb 10, 2017
I've tried multiple times in the past to use a SUA for daily computing but I always end up going back to purely admin. A good number of programs I use frequently require admin access and having to keep entering credentials or to keep switching back and forth between two accounts just to do simple tasks just irritates me.

Andy Ful

From Hard_Configurator Tools
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
What is "split token" admin account?
What is this article telling us not to do?

UAC includes several features and security improvements.

Admin Approval Mode
Admin Approval Mode (AAM) is a UAC configuration in which a split user access token is created for an administrator. When an administrator logs on to a Windows Server 2008-based computer, the administrator is assigned two separate access tokens. Without AAM, an administrator account receives only one access token, which grants that administrator access to all Windows resources.

Why is this functionality important?
AAM helps prevent malicious programs from silently installing without an administrator's knowledge. It also helps protect from inadvertent system-wide changes. Lastly, it can be used to enforce a higher level of compliance where administrators must actively consent or provide credentials for each administrative process.

I have an impression, that SPLIT-TOKEN ADMINISTRATOR ACCOUNT from the article: Tyranid's Lair: Reading Your Way Around UAC (Part 3)
can be normal (not built-in) Administrator account with UAC.

Edit
That would be also consistent with the results of my test (see post #46).

AtlBo

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 29, 2014
Exact, it is why i recommend to install softs or do critical admin tasks on admin account , not SUA.

I've come to think of the p/w prompt in the SUA as a security warning, and a request to change the system. There are only 4 or 5 applications installed that require the use of admin credentials, so I feel like I know that I can take the rest of them seriously if that makes sense. For this reason, I don't feel as though I need to change accounts to run these programs at least.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Sorry, I still don't understand why its better to switch to admin account rather than typing it in a SUA. Someone try to explain it again please. :(
Problem is this: there might be malware lurking in the background, just waiting for admin permission to come along. So if you type in the admin password in your SUA, you just granted permission to that lurking malware.
But if you switch to your admin account, that is not where the malware is running in the first place. So it won't receive permission.

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
You're supposed to use the SUA for regular non admin tasks and anything that needs admin credentials you should log out of the SUA and into the admin account. By using an SUA and still entering your admin credentials at the UAC prompt you're defeating the purpose of using the SUA in the first place.
I did not know that. With that in mind, I'm staying with an Admin account, rather than changing to SUA. I'm constanty installing new software and it would just be too much of an annoyance to switch to a SUA account everytime I did this. In the past month, I've installed about 40 programs.

D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
I did not know that. With that in mind, I'm staying with an Admin account, rather than changing to SUA. I'm constanty installing new software and it would just be too much of an annoyance to switch to a SUA account everytime I did this. In the past month, I've installed about 40 programs.
40 in the same day is sure annoying to switch, but 2 a day isn't so hard. A switch take 10sec.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
40 in the same day is sure annoying to switch, but 2 a day isn't so hard. A switch take 10sec.
What happens if you leave your admin account running in the background, so you can switch back and forth quicker? Is that a security risk?

Reactions: frogboy

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
It's 40 this month, not in one day, but sometimes I do install a number of programs in one day.

For the moment, I'm going to stick with just using an Admin account, for the sake of convenience. I'm not click happy (it doesn't matter if I'm emailed ransomware, if I know better than to open the infected attachment) and I keep Windows and vulnerable software updated. In my experience, that is enough to keep me safe. If I'm ever proven wrong, I have backups. Because of this, I don't feel that my system isn't secure enough, or that I need to do every possible thing to secure it as much as possible.

If I rarely made changes to my system, then I most likely would use both Admin and SUA accounts, as it would not be much of an inconvenince in that situation.

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
Can default Admin account be hidden from Login screen? Hate the idea of having 2 accounts on a single-user PC.
I think there is a tweak for that Spawn, I too hate it, I will do some digging I remember reading something about it.
If I find it I will PM you the Info, if that's ok ?

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
I think there is a tweak for that Spawn, I too hate it, I will do some digging I remember reading something about it.
If I find it I will PM you the Info, if that's ok ?
Here would be fine.

Last edited:
Reactions: _CyberGhosT_

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.