Not open for further replies.

Mateotis

Level 10
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Mar 28, 2014
Hey everyone. :)

So I've been scanning/testing malware packs for a week or two now, but yesterday I noticed something strange. I have a few AV context menu entries for easier work, precisely I have one for Bitdefender, Malwarebytes and Tiranium. It works with BD, however when I try to scan with the other two, the following happens:

fGnNwqT.png

As you can see, I click on "Scan with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware" (everything is in Hungarian).
Khui4YU.png

MBAM opens, but it finishes the scan in a whooping 4 seconds, saying it scanned 0 files!

Tiranium does the same.

Anyone knows why does this occur and how to fix it?

Venhiem

Level 3
Verified
Mar 10, 2014
Might be that you don't have privileges on the files being scanned and/or the context menu shortcut for MBAM and Tiranium has limited privileges?

Upvote 0

Mateotis

Level 10
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Mar 28, 2014
Might be that you don't have privileges on the files being scanned and/or the context menu shortcut for MBAM and Tiranium has limited privileges?

How can you make a CM shortcut have elevated privileges?

Upvote 0

Venhiem

Level 3
Verified
Mar 10, 2014
That I don't know ... but I think the shortcuts must be located somewhere? In some far and hidden folder? Because there are a number of CM editors around, they must have some way to edit CM shortcut?

Upvote 0

Mateotis

Level 10
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Mar 28, 2014
That I don't know ... but I think the shortcuts must be located somewhere? In some far and hidden folder? Because there are a number of CM editors around, they must have some way to edit CM shortcut?

Now that you say, I've saw one of the shortcuts having the tag "Administrator" attached to them while viewing them in CCleaner. Maybe I could edit the rest to have it too...

Upvote 0

Mateotis

Level 10
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Mar 28, 2014
Try to close Tiranium (shutdown guard) and to scan with MBAM again

Nope, same happened. I highly doubt it's Tiranium's fault.

This happens because the path of the folder contains a space. The same happens for me.

Oh now that's the idea!

I'll try to delete the spaces and post the results.

Edit: Works, with both, THANKS! :) Issue solved!

Upvote 0

Venhiem

Level 3
Verified
Mar 10, 2014
@Mateotis- I think I've got a way. For an example I'll show how I elevated ESET Smart Security's right click search option, you can try the same with MBAM. In regedit, navigate to
Code:
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\
Then, choose the one you want to elevate, e.g "ESET Smart Security - Context Menu Shell Extension". Right-click, permissions, then give it Full-Control for every user.

sdpUsY9.png

Off to bed for now I'll check back tomorrow.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Mateotis

Level 10
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Mar 28, 2014
Neither did I ... strange! So only the ones with entries work ... but MBAM right-click menu works for me and and its not in regedit (or at least in Shellex...). Hmmmm...

Don't worry too much about it, as I said before, the issue is already solved. ^^

Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.