Advice Request Robbie's BitDefender Light & Secure Settings

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
Personally, I don't think it's necessary. I've done a bit of testing and Free is very solid. BD's site has 3 PCs @ $30 now if you want it though.
Newegg has it for $20 ;)

I don’t mind paying a little bit for a product I like. M$ is different since you can’t even pay for advanced features as a home user for WD. Plus I already paid them for a windows license and 365.

Last edited:

Wraith2020

Level 2
Mar 19, 2020
I think looking for deals on places like Newegg may make AP an okay deal. I only use webmail and don’t want anti spam, need parental cottons, or want and optimizer. I can live without the firewall. For $20 I can get a 3 device 1 year license. Not too bad for our uses. And it still has the ransomware mitigation, but I’m not sure if that’s really necessary over the free version.
I don't know what extras the AP version has compared to the free version. If it's only the ransomware mitigation, I'd skip buying the AP and just use the free version.

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
I don't know what extras the AP version has compared to the free version. If it's only the ransomware mitigation, I'd skip buying the AP and just use the free version.
You can't schedule scans, and also there used to be no quick scan option. However, I don't know if that's the case anymore. I asked @oldschool since he's using it.

Edit: Looking around they are kind of not straightforward about whether or not it includes any other antimalware features. It sounds like no, though I saw comments from their rep on Reddit who made it kind of confusing whether there's more to it than the ransomware mitigation.

Edit2: @SeriousHoax says no quick scan in the free version.

F

ForgottenSeer 72227

People sadly tend to avoid this software, but trust me, it's so good I've made it my security software! It's amazingly light, non-intrusive, and extremely efficient. I've done quick tests and it responds really fantastic. And ransomware remediation! It recovers lost files if it couldn't stop it!

I avoided it for a long time, mostly due to performance issues and small annoyances. If they have addressed those it would probably like it. For me it use to severely delay Windows boot. I would get a black screen and then eventually Windows loaded. I turned off a feature based on some recommendations, but it still happened, so I avoided it since. Maybe it worth giving it a spin again.

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
: @SeriousHoax says no quick scan in the free version.

True, but once it does its initial scan your system is locked down and protected by real-time protection,e.g. BD blocked configuredefender.exe. And subsequent scans are faster than initial one.

Edit: @geminis3 - once BD has adjusted to your machine RAM is ~ 200 - 250 MB.

Last edited:

RoboMan

Level 34
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
Can similar results be achieved by using Bitdefender Antivirus Plus (paid)? If not, what security protections would the user be missing out on?
Yes! Antivirus Plus version is a good software and is enough for many people! You'd be missing firewall module and some minor modules like antispam, parental advisor, etc. @blackice IMO it's not necessary to pay for the firewall. If you're gonna stick with WF. But if you'll end up downloading a third party firewall, then it'd be better to stick with BitDefender IS/TS.
"Light on resources" yeah suuure, had an noticable performance impact aswell, it slowed my system down by 30-40%. atleast its not as heavy as MBAM.
That's weird! All my BD processes are on 0% CPU. That's definitely an installation issue or an incompatibility. Do you have any other security software installed?
Is BD still a memory hog (500mb+ RAM usage)?
It consumes for me around 300MB, it's not really much nowadays.

fabiobr

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 28, 2019
Edit: Looking around they are kind of not straightforward about whether or not it includes any other antimalware features. It sounds like no, though I saw comments from their rep on Reddit who made it kind of confusing whether there's more to it than the ransomware mitigation.
Which /r from Reddit do you participate?

Reactions: Protomartyr

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
Which /r from Reddit do you participate?
That /r was the regular r/Bitdefender. I don’t really participate in that group, at least not yet since this is my first time trying BD. But I found it googling around trying to find info on BD free.

How is Bitdefender? Any issue, bug, issue? Performance impact?
The one issue I had was my Macrium reflect job didn’t run from sleep this morning like it should. It ran fine when I woke it up to do some work, so it wasn’t blocking the script. I’m going to test more after doing a reimage and fresh install. The performance impact is about like ESET. Maybe a bit more noticeable. I’ll have to go back to ESET again to see if I even notice a difference.

outlawxtorn

Level 6
Verified
Content Creator
May 29, 2017
bd.PNG

RoboMan

Level 34
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
How is Bitdefender? Any issue, bug, issue? Performance impact?
So far... so good. Running great, 0 performance issues even when paired with H_C- I had in mind one bug that I was crazy about, the one where hidden folders and files would remain hidden even if you selected to show, this would happen every time BitDefender found a threat. But as far as I could see, it's fixed :)

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
That /r was the regular r/Bitdefender. I don’t really participate in that group, at least not yet since this is my first time trying BD. But I found it googling around trying to find info on BD free.

The one issue I had was my Macrium reflect job didn’t run from sleep this morning like it should. It ran fine when I woke it up to do some work, so it wasn’t blocking the script. I’m going to test more after doing a reimage and fresh install. The performance impact is about like ESET. Maybe a bit more noticeable. I’ll have to go back to ESET again to see if I even notice a difference.
Regarding my issue with Macrium not running, a new install on a fresh image seemed to fix it. So far I like BD. It doesn’t seem to slow the system much at all. I haven’t seen an optimization in a full scan yet, but then again I rarely run a full scan. I was actually playing with MBAM Premium with WD, which was fine for productivity. But the combo dragged file transfers to the ground. With the installation of BD I realized it was also slowing games from loading assets. Modern Warfare loads at lightning speed now. I’d say very little difference between this and ESET.

@Robbie is there any downside to the Scan Only Applications setting? Would this miss anything? Also are you using automatic profiles? I don’t like that it messes with the power management setting for the game mode, so I unticked that one.

Last edited:

RoboMan

Level 34
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
@Robbie is there any downside to the Scan Only Applications setting? Would this miss anything? Also are you using automatic profiles? I don’t like that it messes with the power management setting for the game mode, so I unticked that one.
Hello @blackice and thank you for contacting Robbie. This is an automated response to let you know we have recieved your ticket and will contact you back as soon as possible.The average waiting time is 48-72 hs. Thanks for your patience.

--------------------

jk LOL

Scan only applications ticked will scan files and programs only on-access, meaning it won't be scanning them over and over again. Similar to Kaspersky's scan files on access.

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
Hello @blackice and thank you for contacting Robbie. This is an automated response to let you know we have recieved your ticket and will contact you back as soon as possible.The average waiting time is 48-72 hs. Thanks for your patience.

--------------------

jk LOL

Scan only applications ticked will scan files and programs only on-access, meaning it won't be scanning them over and over again. Similar to Kaspersky's scan files on access.
I appreciate your timely attention and await your response on the matter 😂

Oh by the name and description I thought it meant it would only scan program files and only on execution. They need better documentation.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.