Advice Request Robbie's BitDefender Light & Secure Settings

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Islam Gamal

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Jan 25, 2018
i want to add that after one day of using Bitdefender, its ram usage dropped to 115 mb on idle and cpu 0 %

Attachments

• Screenshot (2).png
    Screenshot (2).png
    727.8 KB · Views: 275

Boring

Level 2
Jan 21, 2020
Hello @blackice and thank you for contacting Robbie. This is an automated response to let you know we have recieved your ticket and will contact you back as soon as possible.The average waiting time is 48-72 hs. Thanks for your patience.

--------------------

jk LOL

Scan only applications ticked will scan files and programs only on-access, meaning it won't be scanning them over and over again. Similar to Kaspersky's scan files on access.

Hi @Robbie

Can you help me out on the following issue?

1586316973083.png

1586317049158.png

1586317087376.png

fabiobr

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 28, 2019
So far... so good. Running great, 0 performance issues even when paired with H_C- I had in mind one bug that I was crazy about, the one where hidden folders and files would remain hidden even if you selected to show, this would happen every time BitDefender found a threat. But as far as I could see, it's fixed :)
One thing that I miss from others security software: a button to turn off computer after finishing the scan.

i want to add that after one day of using Bitdefender, its ram usage dropped to 115 mb on idle and cpu 0 %
Yes, it became like average Kaspersky RAM consumption.

have you tried their customer service yet? any comment on that ?
Super fast, at least answering emails.

Contacted them using the form on Bitdefender central.

RoboMan

Level 34
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
I appreciate your timely attention and await your response on the matter 😂

Oh by the name and description I thought it meant it would only scan program files and only on execution. They need better documentation.
FYI The real-time protection feature included in Bitdefender - Bitdefender
Hi Robbie,

I followed your setup and came to realised BD is still disinfecting (deleting) some of my files instead of sending them to quarantine. Is there any steps I have missed?

Thanks
Kaze
In THREAT ACTIONS, what option have you chosen? Take into account "take proper actions" will decide the best action according to the scenario.
have you tried their customer service yet? any comment on that ?
Depends. I called them and was in the line for 45 minutes till someone picked up. Chat is great, and e-mail...depending on the case.
Would you please share a little more information on what the issue is? I can see BD detected malware and you whitelisted it so you could use it. Was this intentional or malware-done? If you whitelisted it and still cannot use the program, make sure to whitelist the file not only on Online Threat Prevention module, but on Antivirus and Advanced Threat Defense.

For your information:

Antivirus -- real time protection and signatures
Online Threat Prevention -- cloud-based network (web protection, online protection, fraud, phishing)
Advanced Threat Defense -- behaviour blocker

RoboMan

Level 34
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016

Scan only applications

You can set Bitdefender to scan all accessed files or applications (program files) only.

Scan network shares

By default, both local folders and network shares are subject to on-access scanning. For better system performance, you can exclude network locations from on-access scanning.

Scan inside archives

Scanning inside archives is a slow and resource-intensive process, which is therefore not recommended for real-time protection. If you decide on using this option, turn it on, and then drag the slider along the scale to set a maximum accepted size limit (in MB) of archives to be scanned on-access.

Scan e-mails

To prevent malware from being downloaded to your computer, Bitdefender automatically scans incoming and outgoing e-mails.

Scan boot sectors

You can set Bitdefender to scan the boot sectors of your hard disk.

Scan only new and changed files

By scanning only new and changed files, you may greatly improve overall system responsiveness with a minimum trade-off in security.

Scan for keyloggers

Select this option to scan your system for keylogger applications.

Early boot scan

Select this option to scan your system at startup as soon as all its critical services are loaded.

Action after the scan is completed

Choose what happens after a scan. You have three options: Take proper actions, Move files to quarantine, and Deny access.

Kaze

Level 1
Apr 7, 2020

In THREAT ACTIONS, what option have you chosen? Take into account "take proper actions" will decide the best action according to the scenario.

For your information:
Online Threat Prevention -- cloud-based network (web protection, online protection, fraud, phishing)

Have chosen Move to quarantine. That's why I'm wondering why BD will delete the file instead of putting them into quarantine

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
]
Scan only applications

You can set Bitdefender to scan all accessed files or applications (program files) only.
I think this wording is what confused me, this is the only documentation I can find. It makes it sound like you are choosing whether to scan all files or just applications (program files). But it makes it sound like it's on access either way. This could just be a translation issue, or my reading comprehension. Thanks for the discussion on the product, I always appreciate your insights.

Boring

Level 2
Jan 21, 2020

Depends. I called them and was in the line for 45 minutes till someone picked up. Chat is great, and e-mail...depending on the case.

Would you please share a little more information on what the issue is? I can see BD detected malware and you whitelisted it so you could use it. Was this intentional or malware-done? If you whitelisted it and still cannot use the program, make sure to whitelist the file not only on Online Threat Prevention module, but on Antivirus and Advanced Threat Defense.

For your information:

Hi @Robbie

Thank you for taking the time to look into my issue. Had to approach BD technical support and it eventually fixes my problem.

Thank you too for sharing on the (FYI) up there, i have understood a bit more now and much appreciated.

RoboMan

Level 34
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
To further elaborate, i did a system scan and when i look at the log, this is the setting i saw. apparently disinfect is still primary action for infected items

6VC0Kc3.png
Interesting... You just out-knowledged me. I will take a further look into this and see if I can change primary action.

Thanks for the info!

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.