Advice Request Role Playing Game for old & slow?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

bellgamin

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Oct 11, 2016
I love role Playing Games (RPGs) that are Japanese style and turn-based (ala Final Fantasy series). I am too old (age 91) & slow to play real-time action RPGs

I am still playing on a Playstation-2 (PS-2) but I would like to move up to PS-3 &/or PS-4 --- if & only if there are any Japanese-style, turn-based RPGs for those machines.

REQUEST: If anyone can suggest a turn-based RPG for PS-3 &/or PS-4, I would very VERY much appreciate it.

Aloha from hawaii,
bellgamin

Jeff458K

May 19, 2022
I love role Playing Games (RPGs) that are Japanese style and turn-based (ala Final Fantasy series). I am too old (age 91) & slow to play real-time action RPGs

I am still playing on a Playstation-2 (PS-2) but I would like to move up to PS-3 &/or PS-4 --- if & only if there are any Japanese-style, turn-based RPGs for those machines.

REQUEST: If anyone can suggest a turn-based RPG for PS-3 &/or PS-4, I would very VERY much appreciate it.

Aloha from hawaii,
bellgamin
It's a throwback title to games like Baldur's Gate or Planes cape: Torment. So expect real time with pause combat, slow exploration of a massive world, and a surprisingly engrossing story once the game gets out of its own way and gives you your keep.

Be warned however: just like in those older games combat can take forever and be pretty unforgiving, you're dropped into the world with little explanation of its mechanics or lore, and just kinda expects you to roll with it.

Neno

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Jan 4, 2012
Regalia, Battle Chasers: Nightwar, Edge Of Eternity, even Darkest Dungeon might be a good choice.
I do not know if there are console versions (PC games).

Reactions: vtqhtr413
L

Local Host

The Legend Of Heroes and Ni No Kuni are among the best you can play on PS3.

Tales games are also pretty special, but they're not exactly slow in terms of combat and stray a little from turn based.

Reactions: vtqhtr413

Stronghold

Level 1
May 27, 2022
Turn-based JRPG's are a dying breed of games but there are some good ones left and a lot have been mentioned already but here are a few more that come to mind which are available on PS3 or PS4

DRAGON QUEST XI S: Echoes of an Elusive Age – Definitive Edition is very good and there is a Demo to try in the PS store
Persona 5 Royal is very good
Romancing SaGa 2 is good
Chrono Cross is good
Atelier (all of them) have a big fan base
World of Final Fantasy is a fun game
Digimon Story Cybersleuth is fun but more of a Pokemon style turn-based JRPG
Lost Sphear was pretty good
I am Setsuna was pretty good
Fairy Fencer F was ok
Megadimension Neptunia was ok

Kingdom Hearts (all of them) are Action RPGs, not turn-based JRPGs but they are worth mentioning because they aren't too fast and enjoyed by many turn-based JRPG gamers
Octopath Traveler is a great game but not available on PS3 or PS4

Last edited:

Jeff458K

May 19, 2022
Turn-based JRPG's are a dying breed of games but there are some good ones left and a lot have been mentioned already but here are a few more that come to mind which are available on PS3 or PS4

DRAGON QUEST XI S: Echoes of an Elusive Age – Definitive Edition is very good and there is a Demo to try in the PS store
Persona 5 Royal is very good
Romancing SaGa 2 is good
Chrono Cross is good
Atelier (all of them) have a big fan base
World of Final Fantasy is a fun game
Digimon Story Cybersleuth is fun but more of a Pokemon style turn-based JRPG
Lost Sphear was pretty good
I am Setsuna was pretty good
Fairy Fencer F was ok
Megadimension Neptunia was ok

Kingdom Hearts (all of them) are Action RPGs, not turn-based JRPGs but they are worth mentioning because they aren't too fast and enjoyed by many turn-based JRPG gamers
Octopath Traveler is a great game but not available on PS3 or PS4
  • Baldur´s gate 1/2
  • Kotor 1/2
  • Dragon Age origins
  • The Witcher 2
  • Dungeon Siege 1/2
  • Falout 1/2
And the list goes on :)

Nov 1, 2022
Thanks a lot!!! I just ordered Brigandine: Runersia for PS4.
Awesome - I'm sure you'll love it!

Tell me if you want me to share a *pro* tip that is kind of easy to miss at the beginning of the game. It's not really a spoiler, but I gotta ask for your permission first since I respect your wish to learn the game by yourself.

Reactions: bellgamin

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.